GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rust Ahoy!

Go down 
+8
DBeaSSt
BigBlackBeaSSt
Deadmanonduty
toomanytoyz
matthimself456
silverfox103
Lynol
95BRMW
12 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:37 pm

As many of you know, I am the "winner" of that 96 DGGM RMW that was on ebay the other day. I picked it up tonight after spending a whole 2 minutes looking at it in the 20 degree dark and proceeded to sit in my 1A2 and waited for AAA to tow it back for me. I bought it on ebay so I owned it regardless of what it looked like. I had bought this with the intention of it being a winter beater, after a good look over when it got home, I'm not even sure its good for that. Some of you may remeber Lynol's Caprust, well, I think I have a challenger for title of rust bucket.
At any rate, its a 96 DGGM WB4 Roadie with tan cloth guts, 150k. Supposedly has a bad fuel pump. I don't hear the pump when I key it on. More pics to come tomorrow, but for now enjoy these. Southerners may want to view these pics with extreme caution, northerners might think this is a great car.

That receiver is permanently rusted into the hitch
Rust Ahoy! P1000350

The least of its problems, the spar well
Rust Ahoy! P1000349

Paint? I we don't need paint!
Rust Ahoy! P1000348

Wrong year, good tires though
Rust Ahoy! P1000347

The other side is the same
Rust Ahoy! P1000346

Flapping in the breeze
Rust Ahoy! P1000345

Yeah, those will support a fuel tank!
Rust Ahoy! P1000344

D-pillar rust, only one side
Rust Ahoy! P1000343

What's going on here?
Rust Ahoy! P1000342

Rad support delete mod!
Rust Ahoy! P1000341
Rust Ahoy! P1000340

Not too bad
Rust Ahoy! P1000339
Rust Ahoy! P1000338

Tow pack!
Rust Ahoy! P1000337

What do you guys think? I see a possible winter beater with some rigging and then a part out.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:45 pm

And for laughs, here's the Craigslist ad he listed this car under.
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/2696578775.html
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Wow. Makes my Caprices look pretty darn good. I say put some beefy tires on it and make it a woods wagon. hmmmm? hmmmm????
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Think you can interest Lynol in it?

Tom
Back to top Go down
matthimself456

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Doesn't look too bad. Strap that radiator back up and maybe some beefier gas tank straps. Should be good for a winter or 2.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Yeah, what Matt said. Smile

Send me your address and I will send you a pack of super long, strong zip ties. Smile
Back to top Go down
matthimself456

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Harbor Freight ratchet straps held up 30 gallons of diesel in my truck for a while real good.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 11:46 pm

They did a good job of hiding the rust with those 2 pictures they posted! In the pics it looks kinda solid! lol
My 96 RMW is like that, but not as bad and I already parked it because I was afraid of getting in an accident with it. I don't think mine is strong enough to take a big hit anymore. The seatbelts n stuff all rusted free from the floor/mounts, so consider the value of your life before you look at the cheapness of the winter beater.
Back to top Go down

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 12:13 am

David,after hearing about Pats accident I am with deadmanonduty.If the rust has effected the
chassis rigidity,its simply not worth the risk.Sorry about the car by the way.
Jim
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 7:06 am

Pull the interior and the motor/tranny. and take it to the yard. If you get $450 at the scrap yard you did ok.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 8:15 am

And now some day pics. Doesn't look too bad
Rust Ahoy! P1000357
Rust Ahoy! P1000356
Rust Ahoy! P1000355
Rust Ahoy! P1000354
Rust Ahoy! P1000353
Rust Ahoy! P1000352
Rust Ahoy! P1000351
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:26 am

I have a beat up rad support if you want something that actually supports the radiator. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:28 am

Looks pretty good in these shots.Damn salt!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:38 am

Looks a lot better in the light! Rust can be a funny thing, as I've been finding. Don't assume just because of the rust you see on the outside that it's "unsafe". Take a real good look at the important parts before determining if it's road worthy or not. I thought the floor in my Caprice would be a mess, but it was solid, as were the mounts to the frame. Don't get discouraged until you look at everything real thoroughly and asses the situation. And hey, even in a rusty Roadmaster you're still probably better off than in a perfect Civic of the same vintage.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 11:05 am

Lynol wrote:
Looks a lot better in the light! Rust can be a funny thing, as I've been finding. Don't assume just because of the rust you see on the outside that it's "unsafe". Take a real good look at the important parts before determining if it's road worthy or not. I thought the floor in my Caprice would be a mess, but it was solid, as were the mounts to the frame. Don't get discouraged until you look at everything real thoroughly and asses the situation. And hey, even in a rusty Roadmaster you're still probably better off than in a perfect Civic of the same vintage.

What he said...

I love the color and the wood delete. Damn salt. How's the interior?
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 12:35 pm

nice Riv. Join rivperformance.editboard.com if you haven't already.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 1:10 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
I have a beat up rad support if you want something that actually supports the radiator. Wink

Thanks Mike, someone up here is suppose to be hooking me up with one.

81X11 wrote:
Lynol wrote:

What he said...

I love the color and the wood delete. Damn salt. How's the interior?

Interior is nice, I'll get some pics of that later. Its tan cloth and is pretty clean. The DS door panel is falling off (no surprise). I really like the color without the wood myself, unless you look under the car it doesn't look too bad.

jasonlachapelle wrote:
nice Riv. Join rivperformance.editboard.com if you haven't already.

I'm already on there, username is moldymac.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Made a little progress tonight. Got the tank down and fuel pump out. The sending unit broke as I took the tank out due to tons of rust on the lines. Good thing I have a spare one out of a TBI car. The hose connections look the same, just gotta mount a pump on it. I got some scrap strips of steel from my work, going to try to make some new tank straps out of them. Looks like the PO or some chop shop went to change the pump, cut the straps off, saw the rusted lines and rigged it back into place. The goal is to spend as little as possible to get this thing driveable. Its a real shame that this car is so rusted out, it looks to be pretty decent inside and out unless you look where the salt got to it. Check out some new pics below.

My tank draining contraption made out of a pump from my old custom cruiser. Worked well to drain the 16 gallons of gas out of this thing cheers
Rust Ahoy! P1000359
Rust Ahoy! P1000360

The half-ass straps that held the tank on. The eye hook was slipped over the stud of the original tank strap screws No
Rust Ahoy! P1000361
Rust Ahoy! P1000362

Look, no rust!
Rust Ahoy! P1000363

This is actually the only part of the frame that looks at all compromised
Rust Ahoy! P1000364

Relatively clean interior
Rust Ahoy! P1000365
Rust Ahoy! P1000367
Rust Ahoy! P1000368
Rust Ahoy! P1000369
Rust Ahoy! P1000370
Rust Ahoy! P1000375

Messy cargo area, lots of gravel in it
Rust Ahoy! P1000374

Rust: the ever lasting bond
Rust Ahoy! P1000372

Not sure how this thing gets this rusty
Rust Ahoy! P1000373
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 pm

OMG, your pics look just like my 96 RMW. The rust is horrible on the rear window latch, underside, my fuel lines rotted off 6 years ago already. Its sad, but really familiar.
BUT, other than the rear pillars being repaired on my RMW, there is Absolutely NO rust on the body panels at all! Its all underneath, and you can step thru the floor under the second row of seats. My body panels are all perfect, weird how different the rust treats different cars!

Does your car have holes rotted thru the inner body like when you open the doors down at the bottom? Mine has had holes you can reach thru there for years, but the doors don't have any rust on them, or the rear quarters!
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 2:04 am

wow, that sure does make my old blue Caprice look good. Funny though, the blue Caprice's underbody and frame looked rustier than yours yet was not rusted through in any places. You should pull up the carpet somewhat and check the floor pans from the inside, also check the body mounts.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 8:08 am

Deadmanonduty wrote:
OMG, your pics look just like my 96 RMW. The rust is horrible on the rear window latch, underside, my fuel lines rotted off 6 years ago already. Its sad, but really familiar.
BUT, other than the rear pillars being repaired on my RMW, there is Absolutely NO rust on the body panels at all! Its all underneath, and you can step thru the floor under the second row of seats. My body panels are all perfect, weird how different the rust treats different cars!

Does your car have holes rotted thru the inner body like when you open the doors down at the bottom? Mine has had holes you can reach thru there for years, but the doors don't have any rust on them, or the rear quarters!

No holes under the doors, just bubbling paint and it feels solid. The worst body rust (as of yet) is the DS rear quarter. Judging from the marks inside the quarter behind the storage box it looks like the rusted started as a window/roof leak. The Spare well only has the small hole in it. Rear floors looks really crusty under the car but feel solid. Haven't gotten under the front yet.

Lynol wrote:
wow, that sure does make my old blue Caprice look good. Funny though, the blue Caprice's underbody and frame looked rustier than yours yet was not rusted through in any places. You should pull up the carpet somewhat and check the floor pans from the inside, also check the body mounts.

Yeah, I don't get it. The bolts on the diff are still bolt shaped where as yours need to be taken out with a bolt out kit and an impact gun. The rad support is gone on mine yet the oil pan still has paint, yours had a rusty oil pan and an intact rad. I'm gonna pull the carpet up once I get done rigging up a gas tank system Smile
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 8:11 am

I heard a thud. I think it was Texas Mike falling out of his chair having a heart attack looking at these pics.

I thought my NYSP 1A2 was rusty.......I have seen worse though. Definitely wanna check the important areas so I'll ditto those sentiments....

I had a rusty K-5 Blazer everytime a his a bump rust fell in my lap from the windshield frame, lol.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 10:48 am

That trailer hitch....wow....just wow... No
Back to top Go down
TylerW

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 8:06 pm

I'd find somebody with a good welder, get some good scrap steel and start patching her up.

When it begins to erode faster than you can weld, part it out.
Back to top Go down
matthimself456

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 9:02 pm

The frame needs some attention but other than that I don't see any dealbreakers. Probably want to look over the brake lines pretty well. Make sure you replicate the diagonal piece of the tank straps, too.
Back to top Go down

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 9:50 pm

There is a set of nice looking tank straps on a RMW in my local JY. I can see what they'd charge for them and send 'em your way?

I'm going back there tomorrow. Let me know here or via PM. (Or if anyone else wants them....)
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 pm

power steering lines will be rotted off next if they have not already been replaced. Thats when I decided to park mine.
Back to top Go down

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Actually, I may have to retract my offer of tank straps.

For the good of the community. Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:21 pm

TylerW wrote:
I'd find somebody with a good welder, get some good scrap steel and start patching her up.

When it begins to erode faster than you can weld, part it out.

Already have that planned. one of my co-workers is a welder and owes me a favor or two for some computer work I did for him.

matthimself456 wrote:
The frame needs some attention but other than that I don't see any dealbreakers. Probably want to look over the brake lines pretty well. Make sure you replicate the diagonal piece of the tank straps, too.

The lines look like they were replaced not too long ago, gotta find the hidden lines and see what they look like. I made some straps up for it and still have to do the diagonal one. What does that one do anyways? My old Lesabre only has 2 separate straps.

Deadmanonduty wrote:
power steering lines will be rotted off next if they have not already been replaced. Thats when I decided to park mine.

Time will tell I guess, no leaks as of yet.

Stingroo wrote:
Actually, I may have to retract my offer of tank straps.

For the good of the community. Stay tuned.

No problem, I think I'm ok with them for now.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Its alive! cheers

Got my fancy new airtex pump in (cars I know I will be keeping get Delco). The TBI sending units are very similar to LT1 ones, the way the pump mounts on is different, buts it a bolt in replacement otherwise. With some help from a co-worker, I got some straps made up for the tank out of scrap. And they are made out of stainless steel as a bonus! Got it all mounted up, fed it a few gallons and she fired right up, idles smooth. Took it out for a trip around the block and everything seems ok, so the drivetrain is at least good. Now with a little rad rigging and some shocks up front this thing should be good for the winter.

Rust Ahoy! P1000376
Rust Ahoy! P1000378

Terrible video of it starting in the dark
Rust Ahoy! Th_P1000381
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 pm

And another little cool but about the car. Fred mentioned on my Facebook post about this car that this was one he sold back when it had 99k on it (150k now). So indirectly I have a Fred sourced wagon. Too bad its previous owner never heard of a car wash Mad
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 10:42 am

Glad it runs well! Straps look good too. Homemade engineering at it's best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rust Ahoy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rust Ahoy!   Rust Ahoy! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rust Ahoy!
Page 1 of 1