GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?

Go down 
+4
95BRMW
Deadmanonduty
Krzdimond
9196RMWNUT
8 posters
AuthorMessage
9196RMWNUT

9196RMWNUT

How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Empty
PostSubject: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 5:07 pm

I have a car I'm looking to get some parts off of at my pull a part here locally. I do not want to break the back glass out. The keys are missing to pop the window. Is there a manual way to unlock the window so I can get the tailgate down without breaking window? The hood cable is the same way. If anyone knows some shortcuts it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!!!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Climb in the back, remove the rear upper trim and unbolt the glass. YOU NEED ANOTHER PERSON to hold the glass/tailgate as a single unit. Open the tailgate. Remove the tailgate cover and release the glass.

Then rape the car for parts.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 6:53 pm

or, just hook a small ATV battery or something up.....
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Bring a small 12v battery with you and a bit of wire. Crawl in the back of the car and remove the rear panel off the gate. Your probably going to have to break the top part of the plastic off as there are screws behind the glass. In the middle you will see the solenoid on the lock mechanism with 2 wires on it. Apply 12v to the pins and it should pop it.
On my parts Caprice wagon the rear handle was cracked. I was able to break one side of the handle off the glass and twist the other loose.

If you can get to the wire part of the hood cable under the dash you should be able to pull on the wire within the cable with some vice grips to pop it. Otherwise you can remove the grille and have some access to the latch to mess with it.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:35 pm

They key will pop it. I often see keys in the cars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Guys just take a small 12 volt battery and jumper clips and apply juice thru the door lock switch
since thats the easiest spot to reach.
IMHO
Jim
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:21 pm

you can pull the plastic off of tailgate either by force but it will break the plastic or use screw driver to undo screws then pop the plastic off at the bottom then put your arm up there to maually pop the winow selonoid
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Sort'a like mtrhead97. Remove the tire cover and compartment trim, and there should be 2 screws...either under the edge of the carpet, or behind where the side trim was removed. Remove the screws and you can use a panel tool to pop the interior panel. Reach up and pop the latch internally. I have done this a couple of times, and it is a lot easier than unbolting the glass. I used to unbolt the glass, and since I tried this technique I will continue to use it. Grab the plastic parts of the gate hinges if they are not rotted. You can drift the hinge pins out from the driver's side. Another item you should get is the small black retainer for the spare cover it slips to one side or up/down, and then out. If you have to, cut the D pillar trim to get it out. They are almost impossible to find.

For the hood, you may be able to grab the cable from the bottom, in front of the radiator, for the hood. The latch is pulled to the driver's side to open it. A pair of pliers if the cable can be located, or a piece of bent clothes hanger wire if the cable is broken at the front.
Back to top Go down
9196RMWNUT

9196RMWNUT

PostSubject: Re: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 pm

The small battery idea is awesome! Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of taking the interior panel off as well. I already snagged the black retainer....those are golden!! Thanks to everyone who posted. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond!!
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 1:09 am

I just opened a rear window latch Saturday. The rear window was missing, but I wanted the latch /3rd brake light that was still good. The wiring was all cut up, and the battery idea didn't work. I (we) cut the top center of the tail gate plastic interior panel with an oscillating multi-tool, pulled the cut panel piece out of the way, pulled the tab on the latch. It was open in about one minute. I should have taken pics of that.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?   How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to get tailgate open on parts car with no power?
Page 1 of 1