GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Deja Vu All Over Again.

Go down 
+3
lakeffect
Cadet57
92cappy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
92cappy

92cappy

Deja Vu All Over Again. Empty
PostSubject: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 12:42 am

When I first got my car, I had a problem with the battery where it would completely drain, and kill my batteries. When I took it in, the mechanic said that there was some sort of wire that was grounding out and draining the bat. So while I was at school last semester, the battery that I bought (new) after the first incident (about 3 years ago), was dead. Completely drained. Wouldn't hold a charge. So right before Christmas, I bought a junk yard battery, thinking by battery had just failed me. Well, towards the end of my break, in late Jan., after installing my HID's, my battery dies again. I attributed this to the ballasts drawing power on a battery that had been sitting, draining it. It jumped fine. Come to find today, that my battery is dead yet again. Nothing has happened since then but my father starting it once a week. It can't be the same wire that they removed 3 years ago, can it? I mean, it worked fine for 3 years, and they removed the wire. Very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 8:57 am

Bad alternator?

I had a similar problem. Car would have trouble starting in the morning. One day it was really cold at like 2pm and it just would not crank. Went and bought a new battery and it was fine for like a week, then boom back to the same issues. Had my alternator tested, it was a bad alternator.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 9:03 am

I had a similar problem years ago. Had batteries and alternators replaced.

The real problem turned out to be the rear window defroster would not turn off and consequently would kill the battery. Figured it out one cold morning when the rear window was already defrosted and the rest of the car wasn't.

Maybe you have a similar drain issue. Things like clocks, radios and computers always have a slight power drain to save their respective memories.

Dave
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 9:06 am

check for water in the back grab handle lights,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 9:19 am

The alternator was replaced about 2 years ago, so I doubt it's that. I'll check for drains, and the back grab light.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 6:54 pm

I have a similar problem in my 94 DGGM. I just started disconnecting the battery as I'm not driving the car. Need to figure it out though. That and why it won't start (fuel pump has no PSI)

Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Are there any aftermarket items on the car?
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Yes. However there are no recent installations (except for the HIDs, which were installed after the problem started, and shouldn't be causing any current to be drawn from the battery so long as the light switch stays off).
Back to top Go down
W0X0F

W0X0F

PostSubject: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:02 pm

Isn't the automatic load leveling (ALC) hot all the time? Mine has been removed so I didn't think of it at first. There is a sticky on the other site.

HTH
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 4:10 pm

I suggest you 'cobble' together a cord with a spare headlight or backup light bulb. Take the ground cable off the battery and put the bulb 'across' the open cable and battery terminal. If it lights up, you can troubleshoot by watching the lit bulb while pulling out one fuse at a time from the underhood and dashboard fuseboxes. When the light goes out, you have found the guilty circuit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again.   Deja Vu All Over Again. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deja Vu All Over Again.
Page 1 of 1