GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

cold starts...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

cold starts... Empty
PostSubject: cold starts...   cold starts... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 am

good morning all!!!
Just bought a 94 caprice wagon (5.7) WOW, talk about a "cold" (i think) starting engine, but i knew that when i bought it. This is one of those just had to have it kinda cars :-) The temp gauge doesn't work either, pegged on cold even after 8 hour drive, so do yinz think that's because the temp sensor on the front of the pump or possibly another issue? Another question, 95% of the time, cold warm & or hot, I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to start the car... whats up with that??? you'd think this would have a choke of some sort like my "old" carburetor (ed) engine had... & just fire up w/ the turn of the key. I'm ready to learn folks. show me the wisdom please, looking forward to stomping on this car & not getting coughed at...
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

cold starts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: cold starts...   cold starts... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:35 am

the temp sensor in the pump is for the ECM. The ECT sensor for your gauge is in the cylinder head. The wire is VERY flimsy and tends to break.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
note that the temp sensor is on the opposite bank on the F-body (pictured).

before starting the car, turn the key to the "on" position for a few seconds. This will make the fuel pump run and "prime" the fuel system. If your fuel system is depressurizing, this should resolve the issue.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

cold starts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: cold starts...   cold starts... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 am

jasonlachapelle wrote:
...before starting the car, turn the key to the "on" position for a few seconds. This will make the fuel pump run and "prime" the fuel system. If your fuel system is depressurizing, this should resolve the issue.
This is what one of my LT1's was doing. I would "prime" it with the key a few times before starting. Never tried holding the gas pedal down while cranking, but the fuel pressure regulator ended up being the problem.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

cold starts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: cold starts...   cold starts... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 12:00 pm

BTW let us know where you are in Pittsy. We have a couple of very good members in that neck of the woods. I had dinner with one of them earlier this week in Elwood City, PA. I think they also have a pretty active B-body (Impala) club in the area. Give a1awind a PM and he can fill you in.

Jason and Lynol have you on the right track with a hard starts and your sensor.

Good luck and welcome to the world of wagons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cold starts... Empty
PostSubject: Re: cold starts...   cold starts... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cold starts...
Page 1 of 1