GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Checkin in..........again

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Acme Racer

Acme Racer

Location : Wandering aimlessly about Daytona Beach, FL, or in the Hospital

Checkin in..........again Empty
PostSubject: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi Gang
I know, its been quite a while since I posted. Alot has changed since June of 2010. A change in management meant my position with Daytona Beach Car Shows ended. Still hit a few shows, our last *judged* show was the 1st Annual All Chevy SuperNationals in Pigeon Forge TN. Went back to wrenchin again,,,till July '11. Started feelin like junk, then in Aug of 11, had my first of 2 bad strokes. Had to learn to walk & talk all over. The second happened in Dec of '11 followed by a few surgeries. Now I am deemed totally disabled..........

The first of March this year I was finally able to wander about in public without supervision. The wife decided we should go to a show to *celebrate" so she pick the toughest judged show to go to, Super Chevy. Had just 2 1/2 weeks to get a car ready that had not been "detailed" since June '09, and washed since Nov of '11. Without the help of a few friends, the wife and a few neighbors the wagon would have never been ready.

We wound up getting a *Editors Choice* on Sat, and a *Outstanding, Big Body 1990 & Up" and *Best Modified Wagon* on Sunday. The wife and I were thrilled, and those of you who know me know that I am very rarely speachless, but yep, I was speachless. I didn't think the wagon was ready for any awards, and really didn't expect any, we just went mainly because the wife had never been to a Super Chevy event. That did more for my *recovery* than anything the Dr's did.

The following week was the 1st Annual *Spring Turkey Run* at Daytona Intl Speedway. At first I was only gonna go out on Fri for a bit just to pick up a few things and see my *road family*, since I was still worn out after Super Chevy. Several here prodded me to come out on Sat, which I did. I even had the hood up *gasp* for a little while. I'm usually not a *hood up* guy. I shocked Bob Borchers when he seen I had the hood up. I wasn't feelin good , super tired, but wanted to see everyone. Wish I had felt better to hang out with the guys at the hotels.

On the Tuesday after Daytona I was back in the ER with a very mild stroke. Thats when I finally figured out maybe I cant do the schedule like I did when I was *on the road* doin shows. Were still gonna hit a few shows, when I feel up to it. Since I have been home, I'm still doin more detailin on the Yenko, as long as I can reach it from my lawn chair. I cant stand or walk very long, and since I only have 22% of my heart functioning, my endurance lacks alot too.

The one show were hoping to make this year is the Woodward Dream Cruise. There are a few others, but not many, Beach Blast 17 in Cocoa Beach FL mid May, Memory Lane in Rogersville TN Memorial Day weekend, the fall Grand Run in Pigeon Forge TN in Sept., Bristol Super Chevy @ Bristol TN, and the Emerald Coast Cruzin' show in Panama City Beach in Nov. This is ALOT lighter schedule than when I was workin for the car show, hittin 60 - 70+ events a year. Just gotta wait and see how my health is when these dates come up...........

Hope everyone has a safe and fun summer cruzin' and goin to shows!!!
Larry, aka: Capt. Midnight, the Car Show Road Dog............

Last edited by Acme Racer on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 7:19 am

Larry, It was great to see you and I'm annoyed that I missed your hood being up. I've always wondered what lurks below that acre of fiberglass. It was great seeing you and was pleasantly surprised that you stayed almost the whole day Saturday and then went back for more on Sunday!

I am still looking for a used SC hood for you and you will be the first one I call, if I run across one...
Are you going to make it down to Coral Springs? If so, lmk and I'll enter my OCC so can park it next to yours for the before and after shot, lol.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 8:10 am

I was great seeing you at Daytona, wish we could have spent more time talking
Back to top Go down
Acme Racer

Acme Racer

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 am

Hi Sprocket
Coral Springs isnt *chizled in stone* just yet. Between my health and her schedule at work, we prolly wont know till the last minute.
Back to top Go down
Acme Racer

Acme Racer

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 10:29 am

Hi Pat
It was great seein you again. I wish I had felt better and we could have hung out and caught up. I love how you did the *Pontiac* wagon!!!! Maybe in August @ Woodward.....
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:12 am

Acme Racer wrote:
Hi Pat
It was great seein you again. I wish I had felt better and we could have hung out and caught up. I love how you did the *Pontiac* wagon!!!! Maybe in August @ Woodward.....

if you fly in I'll be more than happy to be your chauffeur for the event!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Hey Larry! Good to see you up and about again! Just take it easy and go where ya can, when you can. There's plenty of shows down there, you don;t have to hit them ALL!!!! Smile

Hope I get to meet ya in person at Woodward this year if you make the trip. Smile
Back to top Go down
Acme Racer

Acme Racer

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:49 am

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Pat, If I *fly* up, it will be on *Interstate Airlines* (aka, drive up)

Bill, I know there is no way I'll ever match my 2009 *Magical Mystery Tour* year of 77 events in one year. That was a *dream year* for me, gettin paid to go to shows!!!

I'm gonna try my best to be @ Woodward, prolly with the MiSSl bunch.

Larry
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 2:09 am

HOLY S***, HE is ALIVE!
Back to top Go down
Acme Racer

Acme Racer

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi'ya Fly Boy!!
Yep, I'm still (barely) alive! How much longer will you be @ MIA? We might be down (somewhat) near you on the 22 @ Coral Springs. LMK.

Larry
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 7:22 pm

If things go well, I hope to be home on 20/21.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Checkin in..........again   Checkin in..........again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Checkin in..........again
Page 1 of 1