GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MAY 2012 Long Roof

Go down 
+15
YachtDriver
JoeT
DBeaSSt
Olds Weighty Eight
1993 Roady-man
brokecello
benn
Sprocket
jayoldschool
phantom 309
jimbeau
silverfox103
Gastt
BigBlackBeaSSt
COL
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 am

Tom Cummings sent me a PM asking me to post a story for Long Roof of the Month. As of May first, I have owned my 1992 Custom Cruiser for all of 50 days. I will do the easy part first, list all the mods:
1. I have replaced the black roof rack with two chrome/aluminum ones from a Buick Roadmaster. Actually I may take the rear one off.
2. Bought some grey floor mats from NAPA to keep my original carpeted Olds mats as nice as possible. It rains a bit on the Oregon coast.
3. In the back I installed a rubber mat with ½ padding and a Great Dane barrier to keep Sugar off the seats and the excellent cargo area carpet.
That is it on the Mods. It is a 52,000 mile car and we are the third registered owners. We love the car and have already posted a few photos. Below is a look at our new West Coast Cruiser. Later I will explain “How I got here.”

MAY 2012 Long Roof CUSTOMCRUISERatBoilerBay003

We have literally driven old cars as daily drivers for our entire married life (37 years). When I met Judy in 1974 my only car was a 1929 Model A Tudor sedan. Could it be called a long roof? I was attending college in her home town of Gunnison, CO after six years in the Army. When I got back from Vietnam, and wife # 1 left, I traded my two year old Fiat 124 Spyder (purchased in Germany) for the Model A Ford. Judy and I went on our honeymoon in the A. Here are pictures of both. We moved from Gunnison to Colorado Springs after we got married. Also pictured is the Ford and a loaded 1954 Chevrolet truck with everything we owned.

MAY 2012 Long Roof Image36
MAY 2012 Long Roof Image38
MAY 2012 Long Roof Image39

I will show the cars that I took pictures of over the years but the dates are not listed because I cannot remember precisely. As I said, We drove every one of these daily. I will tell you I was not originally looking to buy a GM Longroof until two months ago. But that story will come later. I grew up in Carlsbad, California and always drew cars. I surfed, so of course I drew woodys with boards out back.

My first car was a 1955 Olds 4 door sedan.

While we were in Colorado Springs we bought a 1951 Nash Statesman. It was white and really lived up to the nick name of bath tub. It had a small flat 6 and was under powered in the mountains. Overheated!

MAY 2012 Long Roof Image40

We sold the Nash and the 1954 Truck sometime around 1976 and bought a 1950 Chevrolet truck in better shape than the 54. We decided to head west and look for a small town to live in, but not Judy’s home town of Gunnison. GUNNISON LIKE. The next photos are of that truck with a homemade camper.

MAY 2012 Long Roof Image41

We thought we would settle in Oregon near the coast. It was not to be yet. We ended up driving to the coast, then back as far as Montana, then west again though Idaho, Washington, Oregon (again) and South on 101 all the way to San Diego. From San Francisco to SD the three speed on the tree, slipped out of third. I had to hold it down with a bungee. One Photo below is me changing a tire in Oregon not too far from where we live now. The third split rim on the trip.

My new bride and I parked in my folks perfect concrete drive way until the oil slick from the truck became apparent. Also I was no longer the clean cut Army guy. Some would say I was a late bloomin' hippy!

I worked for my uncle at a Chevron station for about six months. I had worked for him in High School so it seemed a bit of a step back. After all I had been an Infantry Captain in combat only four years earlier. Our 1950 truck needed a transmission. I went to work at a Vintage car sales place, selling old cars. The next car we bought for daily use was a 1950 Mercury 2 door sedan. We sold the truck. I got a job selling vintage cars in Leucadia CA.

MAY 2012 Long Roof Image42

We added a 1959 Fiat 500 next. It was scary on the Interstate. The driver’s window was down the whole year we owned it. I think the cable and pulley system for raising it was designed by Leonardo DaVinci. When I sold it the guy wanted the window working. I fixed it with no guarantee.

MAY 2012 Long Roof FIAT500

Here is Judy, her sister Susie (Blonde) and I in Tiajuana.

MAY 2012 Long Roof Image21

During the time in San Diego with Judy, I did not want a telephone and did not wear a watch. I became a bit reclusive and self-medicated my combat stress. Therefore, after 3 years in So Cal we sold the Fiat and the Mercury and bought a 1950 Chevrolet School Bus from Joe Boom, in Gunnison CO. We drove to Texas to see my sister and stayed in Arkansas a couple months. We were going to paint signs and live on the road. The Boom bus is below.

MAY 2012 Long Roof Image43

Most counties were dry in Arkansas so you may have to drive 100 miles to buy beer. Not good in my mental state. After going through our life savings ($1,500) we went back to Gunnison. The 216 cu six gave up the ghost and was parked for a while. I bought a 1964 Chevrolet ½ ton from Bill and JoAnne Stone, my employers. They sold it to me for $400 on time. I learned the plumbing trade from them. I never took a picture of the pickup. We replaced the Bus engine with a 235 cu six that actually had insert main bearings and an oil pump. After about three we headed to Sandpoint, Idaho. My friend Colin, the owner of the vintage car place, had bought an old 1900 Hotel converted into apartments.
I helped Colin do plumbing and other restorations on the Superior Apartments for about six months then got hired at Schweitzer Ski Area. I drove the Bus to the bottom of the mountain and hitch hiked up to work that winter. I think that was 1980-81.

We really did need a car. We had used the bus as out only vehicle for a year. I found the coolest 1952 Hudson Hornet. A guy I worked with got a loan from a local Bank for a 1956 Harley Davidson. I figured if they loaned him money for it, I needed to talk to them. I convinced them it was a good buy at $2,000. I got the loan and remained with that bank 20 years. Below is the Hudson. We drove it for about 12 years. We sold the Boom Bus. I could only find one photo of the 52 Hudson much later with the 1946 Hudson truck.

MAY 2012 Long Roof 1946HudsonPUand1952Hornetatthebeach

One car was now not enough and the guy with the ’52 Hudson had a 1954. We got another loan and bought it. In 1985 after a break in service of 11 years I joined the Idaho Army National Guard. Was working for the City Parks Department for the summer and I hated it. After all, hadn’t I been an officer? What was I doing mowing lawns and cleaning restrooms at 38 years old? I went in the Guard as a Captain. I had been an Infantryman and joined an Engineer unit. So we put the 1952 Hudson in storage and drove from Idaho to Ft. Belvoir, VA in the 1954 Hudson. We were a spectacle at Belvoir. I was 10 years older than my peers on active duty and drove a Hudson. They drove BMWs. This photo was in Maryland. I think?

MAY 2012 Long Roof 1954Nash

I traded Crossed Rifles for Engineer Castle Brass. I did not know how to spell engineer now I was one. We sold the Hudson because we felt lucky to have made one trip cross country in it. It was an oil burner and serious leaker. We flew home after the six month Engineer School.

We got the ’52 Hudson out of storage and bought a very nice 1950 Chevrolet pickup. It was our third fifties Chevrolet truck. We drove it for a couple years. We moved out of town and the winter finally got to us. We bought our first new car. A Nissan pick-up four wheel drive. We kept it about a year and traded it for a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I never photographed either of those cars.
We had two Chevrolet trucks in that time. Here are both.

MAY 2012 Long Roof 1953ChevroletpickupRed
MAY 2012 Long Roof 1950Chevtruckwithtrailler

We bought this 1954 Chevrolet 210 Wagon and drove it for a year. A GM Longroof! We sold it to a guy in Washington State. We drove it from Idaho to Seattle in the rain. Vacuum Wipers not good! Especially if it is raining. I usually replaced them in every 50s car.

MAY 2012 Long Roof 1954ChevroletWagon

As I draft this I am getting fuzzy on the times and overlap of cars. I sure it does not matter to my readers. It’s all true. Driving old cars was our life style. We were known for as the couple with the old “Hudsons” or “Cadillacs” or “Chevy trucks”. I could also write a book on the mechanics I have used or my poor aptitude for turning wrenches. I fear I have bored you enough so I will move along.

We bought this Suburban sometime in this time frame. It was about 9 years old in good shape.

MAY 2012 Long Roof 1989Suburban

I got a small windfall when Grandma died and bought my 1946 Hudson truck.
We drove it one summer when the engine started smoking real badly. It could have been converted to a mosquito sprayer. Originally it had a 212 cu flat six. I had a ’52Hudson parts car with a 308 motor. I had it built thirty over with a hotter 1955 cam from Clifford. It had a 454:1 rear end and was screaming at 55 mph until we fixed the OD. It was sweet. Later I had it painted. Here is the vehicle I regret selling the rest in my life.

MAY 2012 Long Roof Image53
MAY 2012 Long Roof Image54

I needed the money so the Hudson when bye bye. Later we bought our first 1955 Cadillac. A red Coupe DeVille. Paint and interior was weak but it was a real bodacious ride. Judy drove it to deliver her artwork.

MAY 2012 Long Roof 1955CadillacCoupeDeville

We moved to Boise after 21 years, for my Army National Guard job. We hauled the trailer and drove a 20 foot U-haul with a 1971 VW Bug convertible I forgot to mention. Those were our daily drivers for the next year. Can’t find photo of the Bug.

In the spring of 2001 we bought the 1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. It had a rebuilt engine and original clear plastic covers over the seats. The ’55 was sold.

MAY 2012 Long Roof Octvacation08009

On September 12, 2001 the engine blew up. I light of what happened the day before in NYC we took it ok. We decided to replace it with a 5.7 L Vortec from a 1998 Tahoe that had about 18,000 miles on it. We backed it up with a 350 Turbo tranny. We drove the ’58 from 2002 to 2012 logging about additional 90,000 miles.

MAY 2012 Long Roof Airstreambeforepictures028
MAY 2012 Long Roof Airstreambeforepictures028

We bought a1974 VW bus for Judy’s art business but later sold it and bought a 1958 Oldsmobile 88. She likes V8s.

MAY 2012 Long Roof 1958Oldsmobile019

We sold the Olds because it was too hard to get paintings in the back seat of a four door post sedan. That is when we bought the yellow 1955 Coupe Deville. Now that was a trunk. It would hold a 10’ x10’ tent, two four foot tables, propane heater, chairs and boxes of cars. The back seat held all the art for shows.

MAY 2012 Long Roof 010

Then we sold it when she quit doing art shows and bought the 1965 VW. Below are some before and after photos. We hauled the Bug behind a 26’ U-Haul when we moved to the Oregon coast last October. Judy pulled my 1900 Yamaha Roadliner on a trailer behind the Caddy.

MAY 2012 Long Roof 010

MAY 2012 Long Roof DSCN0198

Thanks for enduring all the narrative to this point. We arrived in Lincoln City with the two cars, two dogs and two cats. Our trusted mechanic did not move with us. The engine on the Cad was still running strong but at 64 years old, I had gotten tired of talking about cars. I did not do car shows (except with the Hudson truck) but every one talked about the one they used to own.
The seat was getting uncomfortable and we wanted more comfort. Heater quit working. Back window motors were weak, etc. So we decided to sell both cars and buy a 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum wagon. We figured the 5.7 Hemi would pull the ’22 ft Airstream ok.

We sold the Cadillac but could not sell the bug for enough. We needed about $18,000 for a V8 magnum with under 70,000 miles. I obsessed about the Red one I found for two months. I drove one at a dealership with too many miles but liked the comfort, style and power. But, when I measure the interior and rear opening I discovered it was only 39” wide. The painting I am working on is 48” x 60”. The Dodge was a “NO-GO”.
That is when we started looking for an alternative Long Roof car. That is it. We found our OCC with only 51,323 miles. We got it delivered on March 12, 2012. At this writing it has 53,xxx miles.
Here is the new to us 1992 Olds wagon as we saw the advertisement on ebay. It was a Texas car with two registered owners. I bought it from a collector/dealer in NC.

MAY 2012 Long Roof KGrHqFp0E8WnhVECwBPMfC0jQ60_3

Pictures in Oregon of our LONGROOF Oldsmobile Custom Coastal Cruiser.

MAY 2012 Long Roof DeamOCC4MAR2012007
MAY 2012 Long Roof DeamOCC4MAR2012005
MAY 2012 Long Roof DeamOCC4MAR2012015
MAY 2012 Long Roof DeamOCC4MAR2012018

The car is perfect for us. I found a Class III hitch and had it installed. The dogs are getting used to the routine of being in the back. Over the years our dogs preferred big sedans. Then they could get in the driver’s seat when we parked.
The OCC has a tow pac with 3.23:1 limited slip rear end. The car is a bit bouncy for my taste. I will for sure install an Airlift 1000 kit for the rear. New shocks are in order I think too. I hope I did not bore you all to tears.
MAY 2012 Long Roof CUSTOMCRUISERatBoilerBay006
QUESTIONS? COMENTS WELCOME.
Back to top Go down

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Awesome. Just awesome. I envy your automotive experience.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm

What a great story. My life is boring!!!!!
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Tim,
I doubt your life is boring but I have taken many roads in old cars. I have broken down over 50 times. Maybe 100? Way before cell phones means hitch hike for help.

It would be great if I had them all now. Unfortunately I have had to get by and sell them to live and pay bills. I am fortunate that I made the decision in 1985 to go back in the military as a National Guardsman. It provided me with some stucture, oportunities, and now health care and pension from the Army.

I still work as a contractor for Department of Defense in a program called Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program. I work from home and live where we vacationed for over thirty years.
The YRRP is helping our Reserve Components after their deployments get back to their lives. Some have a harder time than others.

I am getting my wiring to tow the Airstream installed this week and will add photos soon of the pair.
Dick
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Opps. Sorry about the duplicate photos. Operator error!!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Dick,

Thank you for your service!

Looking forward to more pictures. I wish you were a little closer, it would be fun to chat.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Great story Dick. Nice cars. My favorites are the '58 Olds, '55 and '58 Caddys.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Now that's going to be a hard story to beat. My favorite is the Hudson pickup, never knew such an animal existed. I understand why you regret selling that.

Great tale, thanks!

Tom
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks for the opportunity Tom. I will add a few things over the month that I forgot or did not have photos scanned. Also I will have the OCC ready to pull the Airstream "Flying Cloud" soon.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: service   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 2:54 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Dick,

Thank you for your service!

Looking forward to more pictures. I wish you were a little closer, it would be fun to chat.

Tim

Thanks Tim. It was indeed an honor to serve. Your thanks is appreciated as it was not common when I returned from Vietnam. Thank every Veteran you meet, young and old. It may be their first Thank you. Last month I met a man who spent 7 years as a POW in North Vietnam. He was released in 1973 the same day as John McCain.

Dick Deam
Colonel (US Army, Retired)
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 4:02 pm

What a tale!!!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 6:52 pm

you definitely are invited to the campfire, for story time,.
excellent,.

What has motivated you to shun newer vehicles??

Nick
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 8:02 pm

BEST... POST...EVAR!!!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 8:17 pm

Wow, what a great story. The fact I drive 20 year old cars seems so weak now, lol.

Fantastic run of cars. Most of us have all sold the 'one' we shouldn't have, but then there is the adventure of the next one.

Fabulous looking 92 OCC, I love it.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Deffinately NOT a borring story!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 pm

First off,thank you very much for your service to this great country.Coming to terms with vietnam will always be a challenge in your life.Your choice of transportation is truly unique and I am envious.Sounds like your wife is truly your soulmate and best friend as well.You need to keep a pen and paper close by to record these memories whenever they pop into your head and then share them with us as you see fit.There are 2 very talented artist in your family so please continue to show us all you have to offer.Thank you for finding this forum.
Jim
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:26 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
BEST... POST...EVAR!!!

Yes!!!! cheers

Awesome story and pics.. thank you for sharing this with us!!

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:40 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
you definitely are invited to the campfire, for story time,.
excellent,.

What has motivated you to shun newer vehicles??

Nick

Nick,
There are new cars I would buy if money was not an issue. A Cadillac CTS-V comes to mind. I think what I paid for my OCC, I could not do better for my cash as a daily driver.

Money has usually been an issue. I did buy the Fiat Spyder new in Stutagart West Germany. I was stationed in Berlin and took the train to pick it up. I was a 2LT and was followed on the highway across East Germany (the only road American Service Members were allowed to travel) for 110 miles by a USSR scout vechicle. That was in 1970.

I also bought new 1972 VW super beetle in Colorado Springs. I rolled it one year later. drunken 2 many Marquritas. That is when I owned the Model A. When I went to college after the Army the A was my only car.

When I was young my dad took the family down on my birthday, 15 OCT to see the new cars when they took the paper off the windows at the dealers. He was in the body and paint business until he died in 1961. He painted cars for movie stars and knew George Barris and his older brother Sam. Sam died young too.

In 1985 I started painting vintage cars in oil. Mostly 30s, 40s and 50s cars and trucks.
Later in the month I could post some if anyone is interested. They are all sold paintings so I am not trying to make any money.

Dick
Back to top Go down

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Why wait to post those paintings?The sooner the better!
Jim
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:36 pm

Jim,
I am watching Dancing with the Stars. Look for first installment tomorrow.
I have to post the images to photo bucket first then back to the forum. I need more concentration.
Dick
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 am

The collector/dealer in NC,. anyone we know?? Wink

Are you actively painting automobile portraits these days?

Do people commission you for a specific subject, or do you choose your own subject?

Nick
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am

wow nice write up and dam that olds is saweeeeet
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Olds collector in NC   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:36 am

phantom 309 wrote:
The collector/dealer in NC,. anyone we know?? Wink

Are you actively painting automobile portraits these days?

Do people commission you for a specific subject, or do you choose your own subject?

Nick

Nick,
The guy I bought the OCC from is named Ken Jackson. I do not know if he is in the Forum or goes to events. He is from Stanley NC. He is a substitute high school teacher and sells vintage toy trains on eBay. He bought my car from a guy in Texas that he sold some other Olds to and used it for last summer and fall hauling packages to the P.O. He never registered it in NC; probably used Dealer Plates. The title was from Texas from the second owner.

I am painting now, but now full time. I have done several commissions in the past. Usually of restored cars. My favorites are deralicts in the field however. I am going to post some more photos of my work beginning today. I just move to the Oregon coast and no one seems to want to look at them in galleries. They want boats and costal stuff. I can paint anything but as a life long car guy the automobile have held my interest.

I am working as a contractor for Sec of Defense for Reserve Affairs right now but will retire in a year. Then I will have to disicipline myself and get more productive with my painting.
Dick
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Car Art   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Why wait to post those paintings?The sooner the better!
Jim
Jim,
As requested, here are some examples of my oil paintings. I will post more later too.

Pterodactyl '57 Desoto
MAY 2012 Long Roof Pteradactyl1957DeSoto_lores
Out in the Sticks '35 Ford
MAY 2012 Long Roof OutintheSticks1935Ford_lores
Super Eight '50 Buick
MAY 2012 Long Roof Dickdeamart2007001
Red Riding Hood '56 Ford PU
MAY 2012 Long Roof RedRiddingHood1956Ford
Dick
1992 OCC
Back to top Go down

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Dick,you have a gift and thats the only way I can describe it!I have a 91 OCC that I would love to
have a painting of.Just paint yours but with the light adriatic blue paint job!
Thank You for Posting these beautys!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Wow! Great story, great OCC & great paintings! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
jimbeau

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Superb paintings!
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks everyone. Here are a few more.

The Champion aks Coulda Been a Contender (Oil 36"x48")
MAY 2012 Long Roof TheChampion
M3A1 Armored Scout Car White Motor Car Company 1943(Oil 36"x48")
Jimmy 1938 GMC(Oil 36"x48")
MAY 2012 Long Roof 1938GMC
Ask the Man Who Owned One 1952 Packard (Oil 36"x48")
MAY 2012 Long Roof AsktheManWhoOwnedMe1952Packard_lores
Dick
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:39 pm

OPPS Here is the M3A1
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Having trouble with this picture.
MAY 2012 Long Roof M3A1
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Wow. I really can't say much else... just... wow.

Great story and really great paintings! I hope you're selling them somewhere!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks Mike. I have only posted sold paintings I am happy to say. I began selling them years ago at $1,500 and most recently $3,500.

I will post more for the fun of it if Y'all want.
Dick
Back to top Go down

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Please do! Smile

Those look amazing.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Purple Sage 1925 International
MAY 2012 Long Roof PurpleSage
Red's Tire and Battery
MAY 2012 Long Roof CopyofRedsTireandBattery
MAY 2012 Long Roof Dickdeamart2007003
MAY 2012 Long Roof Roadmaster
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Fantastic work, those are beautiful
Back to top Go down

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 pm

Simply amazing!
Jim
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 pm

My favorite is the Hudson pickup...I love those things!!!

Great story, great cars, great paintings!
Thanks for sharing and for your service, Dick.

Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks for the rest of the story.

It's always interesting to hear about the how and where people come from.

Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Fellow GM Longroofers. I post these pictures in an attempt to get aquianted. I am new to the forum and many of you have known each other for a while. As you see from my LROM story, prematurely released before May 1st, I am a lifetime, die hard car nut.
While new to the forum, I am not new to the love of all kinds of automobiles. I hope one day to make it back east with our OCC and Flying Cloud.

Below is a photo of a whizzer I restored about 1975. Below that is my first pedal car and my dad's Harley. Below that is a photo of me and my wife, Judy on a ride last summer. The bike is a 2006 Yamaha Roadmaster, 1854 cc.

We are looking forward to some consistantly dry weather on the coast this summer.

MAY 2012 Long Roof WhizzerFirstCarandDadsHarley
MAY 2012 Long Roof 100_0017

Another old truck painting Rural Fire Protection 1947 Ford
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:35 pm

I thought you may want to see that for some strange reason my hair changed color from the earlier photos.
MAY 2012 Long Roof RuralFireProtection
COL
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:14 am

The next four paintings are something other than old rusty cars and trucks.

Historic HOT ROD was a 36" x 48" painting of the first Hot Rod Magazine published in January 1948. The Original was a black and white photo by Robert Petersen, who started Hot Rod Mag. I spoke with the driver on the cover Ed Hulse who gave me the color details.

I got permission from Petersen to make limited edition prints if he could get the number one print. I got a half page article in HRM when I presented him the first Artist Proof.
MAY 2012 Long Roof HRMag

Dan's Dicey Deuce was a comission painting for a friend's husband for Christmas. 1932 Ford of course.
MAY 2012 Long Roof Deuce

"Flying A" a clasicc Model A body on Deuce rails, 32 rad shell

MAY 2012 Long Roof FlyingAHotrodFord
Another classic.
MAY 2012 Long Roof Ddjukebox
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:34 pm

I'm late to saying this, but man, you've got some talent in painting and a great taste in cars.

COL wrote:

MAY 2012 Long Roof TheChampion

I've got to imagine painting those headlights is not easy, and man, you made it look like the real thing.

Don't worry about boring us, we love pictures, and reading these stories is fun to a lot of us.

~Jeff
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Subject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof Today at 3:34

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm late to saying this, but man, you've got some talent in painting and a great taste in cars.

COL wrote:

I've got to imagine painting those headlights is not easy, and man, you made it look like the real thing.

Don't worry about boring us, we love pictures, and reading these stories is fun to a lot of us.

~Jeff

Ok...You talked me into it. Here are more paintings.
"Cockeyed Dodge"(Oil 36"x48")
(Oil 36"x48")MAY 2012 Long Roof CockeyedDodge_lores
"Retired" 1936 Chevrolet truck(Oil 36"x48")
MAY 2012 Long Roof Retired1936Chevy_hires
"Roadmaster"(Oil 36"x48")
MAY 2012 Long Roof Roadmaster

Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:53 pm

"Summer Showers" I drove my friend Steve's 1937 Ford down in this meadow to photograph because of the lupines. I got stuck trying to get up to the hyway when it started to rain, in August. I walked up to my house to get a tow rope and flaged down someone to help get me out. The next week I laid out the painting. By the way each painting takes from 80 to 120 hours, start to finish.

MAY 2012 Long Roof 1937FordSummerShowers
"Cool DeVille" This 1954 Cadillac Sedan deVille was parked in a carport just down the alley. I have photographed cars everywhere in the west we have traveled for future paintings.
MAY 2012 Long Roof 1954CadillacCoolDeville
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Nice stuff,.

So,. you being the true life style artist etc,.
got any paintings of hot nude women??
huh?? nudge nudge wink wink,. know what i mean??

Nick
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:33 am

i do know what you mean,. nick,.wink. this body is kinda sexy,. don,cha think??
MAY 2012 Long Roof 1957PorscheSpeedster
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 1:01 am

Nah,. its got a flat arse,.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 am

The gifted new Lincoln City resident has truly brought some great and unique talent to this place.

It's hard to choose a favorite from all of those great, "man art" paintings.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 1:50 pm

That Flying A is topping my chart. Wicked!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 3:01 pm

I like the snow covered roadmaster. It looks like it's teeth are chattering!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MAY 2012 Long Roof Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2012 Long Roof   MAY 2012 Long Roof Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MAY 2012 Long Roof
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next