GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynol

Lynol

WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding Empty
PostSubject: WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding   WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 9:38 am

Looking for RR door cladding and RR quarter cladding for my '92. Will take '91 cladding though, I'll make it fit. It's going to be re-painted so scratches and whatnot are no prob, as long as the black rubber and metal strip on top are good. Should have started looking for this stuff 3 years ago when I bought the car...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding   WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 8:37 pm

The black rubber is actually just painted on. The strip on the top can be carefully removed by heating the tabs and straightening them to replace the pins under it. You will have to "make" pins from a round base pin such as the ones on the bottom trim from a Caprice, or Roadmaster.

I have a rear quarter. Check with Gonzo, I think he has some of the trim as well. He may be a lot closer to you in Connecticut.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding   WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 11:25 pm

both of the OCCs in the yard near me have the right rear door and right quarter cladding.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding   WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 8:25 am

Hmmm... Interesting Fred I did not know that. My main problem is the metal strip on both pieces are damaged.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding   WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:27 am

I have repaired the front door panels on my 92 by R&Ring the strips. I also added pins under the strip at the same time. Just be careful, the plastic has a very narrow heat range window between soft and liquid. Practice on a part that is scrap. I used a $10 heat gun from HF. You could use a soldering gun to reform the plastic for installation. If you break one of the tabs, save the material, and use a soldering gun to melt it into the metal slot that it came from, until it becomes one with the original panel. Overheating can cause deformation of the panel, and you could leave finger prints in the plastic. On the back side that is not important, but you do not want to mar the exposed side.

I made passes at the spot with the heat gun, testing it as I went until the plastic got just soft enough to manipulate with a pair of pliers (too hot to touch). The metal stays hot a lot longer than the plastic, and conducts the heat away from the local area, so can melt plastic nearby. I pried and squeezed the plastic tab until it stood straight up, and would pass through the slot in the metal strip. The only issue I had with reassembly was that the parts are hard to keep together as you are reassembling them. There are too many to control with one hand while heating the tabs. Tape would assist or have a helper to assist you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding   WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WTB: Passenger side OCC cladding
Page 1 of 1