GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

stud welder to cover trim holes?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
94_RMW

94_RMW

stud welder to cover trim holes? Empty
PostSubject: stud welder to cover trim holes?   stud welder to cover trim holes? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Anyone ever try using a stud welder to try and fill the old trim holes (the smaller ones)?...I have the daunting task to fill all the trim holes left behind from the previous owner, and was pondering the thought of using a stud welder, grinding the coating of the studs first of course and using them to fill the holes, cut the studs, and grind smooth. I don't own a welder or know how to weld, but I do own a stud welder and have used it successfully in the past. Very Happy I figured I would ask since most forums members do their own work at home. Thank you and as always your help is appreciated.
Jose
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stud welder to cover trim holes?   stud welder to cover trim holes? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Jose,that sounds like a pretty good idea and would sure save you money.Are the studs steel or brass because I think that would cause some longterm problems with rust.Sure would be a great
way to fill those holes in!Come on guys,we need a answer!
Back to top Go down
94_RMW

94_RMW

PostSubject: Re: stud welder to cover trim holes?   stud welder to cover trim holes? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks , Jim....The studs I have are from Harbor Freight and have the copper coating on them. I am very tempted, but would like to hear some more opinions or has anyone else attempted this in the past? Thanks in advance,
Jose
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: stud welder to cover trim holes?   stud welder to cover trim holes? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 9:18 am

I have and it works fine as long as you know you got good penetration. I always try to pull off the stud with pliers after it is welded on. Haven't had a problem yet. Don't do that often but have done it.
Back to top Go down
1lowcaprice

1lowcaprice

PostSubject: Re: stud welder to cover trim holes?   stud welder to cover trim holes? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 am

Any updates on this? Did it work seems like a pretty solid Idea. Might have to try this myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stud welder to cover trim holes?   stud welder to cover trim holes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stud welder to cover trim holes?
Page 1 of 1