GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hitch Hardware Need to Find.

Go down 
+3
BigBlackBeaSSt
convert2diesel
SCbarber
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SCbarber

SCbarber

Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Empty
PostSubject: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 am

I bought a used (of course) class 3 hitch and can not locate new mounting hardware for it. It is a Reese # 36032 I tried calling them directly and they no longer sell the hardware for that particular hitch, tried other online companies and they can not get it either. Any idea where I can find NEW mounting hardware for my hitch?? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://paulthebarber.net
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 11:35 am

The only unique piece is the frame bolt plate. It holds the bolt from turning when you tighten up the nut. All the rest should all be stock "Grade 8" (not chrome or stainless) hardware available from your local industrial fastener outlet. Replace all of the nuts and bolts. If you have the one that hangs from the bumper shock mounts, replace them too. If your hitch is the 3 peice unit (two end plates and a center section, replace these bolts as well.

Your fastener guy should have something to contain the frame bolts. Called a blind encapsulator. All it does is prevent the bolt from turning inside the frame. The frame bolt, along with this special plate can be fed into the frame by feeding some lock wire through the mounting hole and out the front of the frame rail. Loop the wire around the threaded portion of the bolt (don't forget to install the plate first) and then pulled back through the mounting hole and the corresponding hole in the hitch. Remove the wire, install nut and lock washer and your done.

Bill
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Call u-haul. Might be something they stock.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:44 pm

I had a bunch of those plates copied from an original plate and have used them to install a hitch, worked great! The hardware can be gotten at most hardware stores. I have a few left, message me if want a couple of them.
Back to top Go down
SCbarber

SCbarber

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks! PM sent
Back to top Go down
http://paulthebarber.net
Bob D

PostSubject: Needing the bolt plates mentioned   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 11:06 pm

95BRMW,
I tried to PM, but haven't posted enough yet. I need a couple of the bolt plates mentioned in your post to install a used hitch. If you still have some I would be most appreciative. You can email me at grdavenport@hotmail.com or call 919-612-2672.

Thanks
Bob Davenport
Wake Forest, NC
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 9:19 am

I'll see if I have any more of them Bob, the hard part is remembering where I put them Smile
Back to top Go down
Bob D

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:24 am

Thanks for your help. I understand about that remembering where something is...I suffer from CRS myself.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 8:39 am

Try eTrailer.com they still stocked the hardware kit for my Class II, might still have some for the III as well.
Back to top Go down
Bob D

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Bob D

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I went by UHaul yesterday and they had the plates I needed and gave them to me. Hope to have it installed soon.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Nice score on those. I have no clue where mine went, would you mind posting the dimensions of them for future reference?
Back to top Go down
Bob D

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am

Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 7:45 am

Helps a lot, thanks for sharing Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 11:30 pm

I've been following this post as I also had a hitch to install.  It is a brand new Reese that I found on CL for $50.  It did not have the nuts, bolts or instructions.  

Thanks to "Bob D", for the instructions.  They helped immensely.  I called either etrailer or Reese, as suggested by "Cadet", whoever it was didn't sell to the public.  They told how to find the dealers.  I believe I called etrailer then.  They had it...........................$44 plus shipping.  I passed, thank you.  Six bolts, washers and two very small plates were no way worth that.  

So, spent $8 at the hardware instead.  I had two heavy duty square washer that worked perfect.  Probably took two to three hours to install.  Hardest part was probably getting it in place with a floor jack and jack stands; but it worked.

Done.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hitch Hardware Need to Find.   Hitch Hardware Need to Find. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hitch Hardware Need to Find.
Page 1 of 1