GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Has anyone ever....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
donzikid

donzikid

Has anyone ever.... Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone ever....   Has anyone ever.... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Replaced their instrument cluster?
Here is why I am asking,
my newly aquired 94 Caprice wagon temp gauge is not working.
I did test the sender and it is good.
When I replace the cluster with another used one....what happens to the odometer?
Does the new cluster change to the actual milage on MY car........ or just keep going on
with what was on it from the doner car??

I have herd both answers....so really looking to hear from someone that knows for sure.

Thanks gang! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever....   Has anyone ever.... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 1:29 pm

If you replace your cluster, it will read the mileage that is on that cluster, not your original cluster. Before I would replace the cluster, I would replace the sender, not just test it. Not to say it's not gone, but it is more likely that the sending unit is faulty than the cluster.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
donzikid

donzikid

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever....   Has anyone ever.... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks Tom...I will try that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever....   Has anyone ever.... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Alternatively, you can be really awesome and go with a Z28 cluster swap. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever....   Has anyone ever.... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 10:22 pm

You can test the gauge with a potentiometer that goes from 0-4000 ohms. If you attach it to the sensor lead, and ground the wiper, you can turn it back an forth, and the gauge will go up and down, if it is good. Do this with the key in the accessory position, or with the engine running.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever....   Has anyone ever.... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 7:13 am

The gauges are individually replaceable inside the cluster. Take it apart and they just unplug.

But by all means, diagnose first, like Fred said.
Back to top Go down
donzikid

donzikid

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever....   Has anyone ever.... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:13 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Can the cluster really be swapped for a Z-28 cluster?
That would be very cool to have the Tach and the other gauges...
guessing its not plug and play, but if it has been done..I would like it in my SS style wagon.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever....   Has anyone ever.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 12:15 am

Many write ups on the ISSF.....

You can also get the mileage reflashed to current mileage. There are several people out there offering the service.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever....   Has anyone ever.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Electrical-
Jump to: