GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Insurance Companies

Go down 
+5
benn
brokecello
lakeffect
jasonlachapelle
BigBlackBeaSSt
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Insurance Companies Empty
PostSubject: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 4:56 pm

OK guys the insurance company came to look at the NOT ROD today. They say there is about $2,500 in damages and that comes to close the the "value" of the car so IF I do a claim they will likely total the car. The claim person is going to hold off on the claim until the office gets back to me about the value of the car.

What to do?????

A. Not do the claim and paint the car on my own dime. Appox. $1000 then cancel my collision.

B. Take the bait and get the value of the car ($2500-3500 I am guessing) less $500 deductible. Buy the car back (no idea what this would cost) and get her painted. Then get the titled re-issued as a rebuild title.

C. Buy the DGGM wagon off of the Impala forum and swap the hood, fenders, doors (will rear door fit?), tailgate, etc. Then paint the rear quarters and de-wood the car. Unfortunately the hood does need paint anyway so the painting would cost me some $$.

D. other?????

What are the pitfalls you guys have seen on totaling a car? I have never experience this. Please no conjecture, I need solid facts/experiences.

Thanks!

Tim
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 5:26 pm

how much will your premium increase if you claim the accident ?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 5:41 pm

jasonlachapelle wrote:
how much will your premium increase if you claim the accident ?

Nothing. This is a freebe as I have been accident free for 10 years. Woot!!
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Cool. But will it "count" if you have another ? If so, it might be better to pay the $1000 to fix it ($500 if you figure you'd have to pay the deductible regardless). I don't know what other cars you guys own, but not sure it's worth the "risk" for the 2k you stand to gain. I wouldn't make a claim unless it were for an amount substantial enough to warrant it.

option C can easily be combined with options A or B though personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle of dewooding.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Take less than the maximum that they would pay to total the car. Try taking 80% if you can.

Keep the car Tim.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Tim if you make a claim and buy back the wagon,the value will always be effected by the salvage
title nomatter how nice the wagon.I would definitely want to save that "freebie" for a newer
car in your family too.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 10:29 pm

Is that DGGM wagon rusty? How much they are asking?

I say just fix it on your own dime...unless you dont mind the salvage title.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 11:05 pm

i would personally avoid the salvage title option. if money allows pay it yourself
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 6:46 pm

when my 95 was totalled back in june, i got aprox $4700, minus 670 salvage ended up with 4000, to buy another , dont settle for so little $$$$, if i have to ill send you a copy to fight them
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 am

Pay it yourself. Ok this convo is done. Lock the thread. Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 12:06 pm

So more conversation with State Farm. Car is worth 2900 if they make allowances for rebuilt motor and tranny. So after deductible and buying my car back ($290), I would WMD up with $1000 or a little more and a salvage title. Heck I could sell the car for $4000 as it sits and be way ahead.

If they would pay the $1200 claim (and not total it) in stead of the $2300 their agent came up with, I would get $800 worth of paintwork done and save some of the deductible.

Hedging toward all your advice.

State Farm is being very cooperative anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 12:20 pm

I too have state farm and they have changed dramatically in the last few years for the better.The
competition has made all insurance companys better and much more understanding towards the
enthusiast like us.Still feel like any move where you end up with a salvage title is a mistake for you
and your future with state farm.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 pm

Avoid the salvage title Tim, that will bring nothing but trouble later.
On a side note, that DGGM Caprice on the SS forum looks nice but I think he is asking way too much for something with no tranny and a knocking engine.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 1:59 pm

95BRMW wrote:
On a side note, that DGGM Caprice on the SS forum looks nice but I think he is asking way too much for something with no tranny and a knocking engine.

I have talked with Glenn about his DGGM wagon. He thinks it is worth $1500 like you state. WAY to much for a car without a motor or tranny (a working motor anyway). If his frame was not rusty it would make a great chassis to drop my drive-train into. Grey interior even! But it is in worse shape than mine.

If his hood was not banged up I would at least get that. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 9:56 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
95BRMW wrote:

I have talked with Glenn about his DGGM wagon. He thinks it is worth $1500 like you state. WAY to much for a car without a motor or tranny (a working motor anyway). If his frame was not rusty it would make a great chassis to drop my drive-train into. Grey interior even! But it is in worse shape than mine.

If his hood was not banged up I would at least get that. Oh well.

Wow, that's better than the $2500 he tried to sell it to Lynol for. Still too much. If it has zero rust, I would say $1000 TOPS!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Rusty frame......
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 11:18 am

Tim, why not just fix it yourself and then get an agreed value policy? If I ever buy another wagon, I will look very hard at that.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 pm

If you ever buy another wagon....

I called the collector insurance folks and asked about it. They would not insure a wagon, but they do my Impala. It is not considered a collector car and it is used to many miles. Go figure!
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 6:26 pm

agreed value isn't necessarily for a collector vehicle.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 9:19 am

Try Farmer's Insurance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Insurance Companies   Insurance Companies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Insurance Companies
Page 1 of 1