GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

home depot intake

Go down 
+5
convert2diesel
sherlock9c1
BigBlackBeaSSt
200OZ
roadmastercouple
9 posters
AuthorMessage
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Did some researching on here and found a video on YouTube about the home depot mod. Thanks for info. So here's how it come out.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Any one have any pics of how they bracketed the filter in place? got some ideas...

Back to top Go down

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Looks good so far.Go on ebay and check out the aftermarket CAIs and see how they are
mounted in the fenderwell.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 10:07 pm

Rolling Eyes Dude... You have to file off the DWV stamping on the pipe fittings first. Ditch the 4" Fernco too... Go to a plumbing supply house, not Home Depot or Lowe's, and ask for a 4" copper to 4" pvc stainless band clamp, it looks less like someones sewer pipe. Razz

Lookin' good though Mike, keep up the nice work.

Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 7:57 am

Mike,

er, Erie Mike,

Let me know if this effects your gas mileage at all. Just curious.

Other Mike,

Your getting OCD with a Home Depot mod? Really?
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 8:58 am

:bou Laughing nce:
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 10:26 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Other Mike,

Your getting OCD with a Home Depot mod? Really?

Yes, and we've been through this before Tim..... C-D-O...

Lowe's mod.... Haha... silent Sorry, shouldn't laugh, that was a sad day.

Mike
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 11:05 am

Call me a contrarian, and I've had intakes like that on my car, but how is that really making things better? That pipe is thicker than the stock plastics so you've actually got less cross section for air to flow through. There's a big discontinuity right where the two sewer elbows join so that's not any better than the "first base" resonator. Plus, the air filter is now completely unprotected from hot radiator air and any water that comes around behind the headlights.

Glad you're working on your car, but I'm not convinced that mods like this really improve things. The stock LT1 intake is pretty darn close to a cold-air intake as-is.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 1:04 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Call me a contrarian, and I've had intakes like that on my car, but how is that really making things better? That pipe is thicker than the stock plastics so you've actually got less cross section for air to flow through. There's a big discontinuity right where the two sewer elbows join so that's not any better than the "first base" resonator. Plus, the air filter is now completely unprotected from hot radiator air and any water that comes around behind the headlights.

Glad you're working on your car, but I'm not convinced that mods like this really improve things. The stock LT1 intake is pretty darn close to a cold-air intake as-is.

Can't agree more. They may look good (objective opinion) but do they do any good? The stock intake pulls from behind the headlight, forward of the engine compartment so where is it getting the warmer air?

Would be interesting to put the two through a flow meter and plug in a temperature probe right at the throttle valve. Even the store bought CAIs have to go over the rad first so I would bet that the intake temps are pretty close. May pick up a few CFMs in flow but your only going to see a difference with the throttle wide open.

JMHO

Bill
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Wow.

Good job doing what YOU wanted to do to YOUR car.

Are you guys all this uptight at gatherings?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 5:30 pm

94Woody wrote:
Are you guys all this uptight at gatherings?
No, there is beer at gatherings. tongue

This is a discussion forum, no? I'm just discussin'. Just thoughts. Thoughts are like beef jerky - chew on them for awhile. If you like them, swallow them; cheers if not, spit 'em out. scratch
Back to top Go down
etsfl

etsfl

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Agree with those that disagree on the value of a home depot plumbing job.
Have never seen anyone post any statistical data to substantiate its value on performance or MPG improvement
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 9:59 pm

If anything, LT1s can use a good cleaning of the MAF and throttle body on an annual basis. Grab yourself a can of this, and clean your MAF. THAT will definitely be worth your time!

And while you're in there, grab an old toothbrush and clean your throttle body:

(Notice the image on the can looks suspiciously like an LT1 throttle body? Suspect afro
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 8:25 am

Looks like a 48mm TPI throttle body to me. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
chevy5seven

chevy5seven

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Not all modifications have to be for mpg, air flow, hp, increases, some are for what you like. I like it. Chrome wheels and trim do nothing for performance either, but we put 'em on!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

home depot intake Empty
PostSubject: Re: home depot intake   home depot intake Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

home depot intake
Page 1 of 1