GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down

Go down 
+2
JoeT
BigBlackBeaSSt
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Empty
PostSubject: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:54 am

Ok I am stuck 140 miles from the house. Looking for any help.

----------------------------------------

VATS is physically disabled with jumper in relay position - I checked and this is jumper is still in place.

Checked grounds at back of coil - they are fine.

Battery terminals tight.

Fuel pump running as it starts - cannot no hear it after that.

Starts up immediately after it shuts down.

When it shuts down it acts like you turned the key off, but it revs up a couple hundred RPM and dies. No stumbling.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 am

Oil pressure switch cutting off power to the fuel pump?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:01 pm

I thought about that to. No tools with me, but the gauge is still working. I need to have someone listen to see if the fuel pump continues working.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Bad oil pressure switch maybe, fuel pump relay perhaps. How about hotwiring the fuel pump test lead to make the pump run non-stop to get you home? Would that work (anyone)?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 pm

VATS are not disabled in the PCM. I will try this next, but letting computer charge before I try this.

My question is that if VATS is bypassed, PCM should not be able to effect it correct?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Bad oil pressure switch maybe, fuel pump relay perhaps. How about hotwiring the fuel pump test lead to make the pump run non-stop to get you home? Would that work (anyone)?

Might burn out the pump? I could jumper it to see if it would run though. I also think the car would stumble as it ran out of fuel/pressure.
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:17 pm

From what I remember reading about the VATS system.

The PCM will shut down the fuel injectors after 3 seconds if it does not receive the correct signal from the VATS/BCM unit. It will allow the car to start and then shut off the fuel injectors.

Again if I remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Reprogrammed PCM. Turned VATS off. Now she stays on. Crisis averted.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 pm

You guys are great! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Glad you got it Tim. VATS is a two-piece deal and it looks like you got bit by the fuel injector piece.

Just to clarify on the oil pressure switch question in case you get stuck in the future:

All LT1s WILL RUN with no oil pressure.

On the '94-95s, the fuel pump circuit is PARALLEL through both the relay and the oil pressure switch. EITHER path being intact will power the fuel pump.

Pull the fuel pump relay from the underhood fuse box and car will start as soon as oil pressure builds. Reinstall the relay, pull the connector off the oil pressure switch and the car will still run. Pull both and the fuel pump goes dead.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Got home just fine with no issues other than a flashing "security" light. Will have to pull a bulb or fuse. I have to pull the ABS light as well and update my spedo needles. So now that project comes to the top of the pile...... Cool
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:56 pm

You can turn off VATS in PCM programming? No need for the jumper? Or do you still need the jumper for the starter circuit?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:05 pm

EDIT - You can disable the fuel injector cutof in the PCM. There is a bit that you can set to zero to disable it. BUT - you also need to bypass the VATS module starter relay disable.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 5:15 pm

And you need to turn off the "security" light on the dash.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down   ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Start runs 3 seconds, shuts down
Page 1 of 1