GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady Empty
PostSubject: Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady   Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 7:37 pm

I found a perfect lower chrome molding for my 96 Roady (the one on the rear tail gate) at a local yard. It is on extremely tight, and the last thing I want to do is bend or damage it trying to remove it. I have a set of the plastic pry tools, but it is on so tight I wonder if there is some magic trick to get it off. I removed the one screw I could see on the driver side corner of the molding, but that just made that corner a little looser. Help guys, I want this thing before someone else gets it, or worse, some idiot backs another car into the gate and ruins it.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady   Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 8:38 pm

There is not a screw on both sides? (each end) Or there might be a push pin on the far passenger side..gotta push that out.

Once both ends are unscrewed...pick an end...grab about a foot with your hands (at the bottom) and push up. Then pull the top back toward you. Work your way down!

Here is a shot of when I removed my piece....note the clips

Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady IMG_0875
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady   Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanks-I was just afraid of damaging a perfectly good (even has the black rub strip!) molding. Funny you should mention it- driver side had a screw, passenger side had what looked like a push pin from the back side. So I should push that towards the molding too? Like I said, I don't want to be the idiot who damages a perfect molding that survived the last 16 years (including being junked). Thanks for your help and photos.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady   Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 9:56 am

Yes I would push that pin from the back ( and pop out the plastic surround that the pin goes in too )

You got it!!
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady   Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 3:57 pm

I got it out, and undamaged as well!! I can't believe that I got a junk yard rear tail gate chrome molding that is perfect. Sometimes I amaze myself!!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady   Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 4:01 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady   Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing Rear Gate Chrome Strip On 96 Roady
Page 1 of 1