GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

engine rpm at highway speeds

Go down 
+3
Olds Weighty Eight
jayoldschool
green96
7 posters
AuthorMessage
green96

engine rpm at highway speeds Empty
PostSubject: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 2:06 pm

i got i 92 roadmaster sedan i bought the car with a bad trans got a rebuilt 700r4 and put it in when im driving round 60mph the rpms is around 3500 thats seems a little high from what im used to seeing in cars is that normal of what everyone else is running
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Your 92 with the 350 and no trailer pack (2.73 gears) should be at about 1800 at 60. It's not going into OD (or lockup, I'll guess). With trailer pack (3.23s if I'm not mistaken), you would be about 2100. You can double check the RPM by going into the HVAC diagnostics (to confirm that the problem isn't simply the tach).
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 4:14 pm

When cruising at 60, pull the shifter from OD to D. Does it downshift? If not, it's not going to OD as mentioned. Could be that the rebuilt transmission is calibrated for a different rear gear/tire size combo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 6:05 pm

+1 on Jay's suggestion of the tach being off. My old 91's tach was off, and the higher the RPM the worse it was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 6:24 pm

My tach was fine until I replaced the ignition module while doing a tuneup.Kinda funny watching the tach shifting at 6500rpms when I
stomp my gutless wagon.Figure I would beat someone to it!
Back to top Go down
green96

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 10:59 am

how do i get into the hvac diagnostics but it could be then trans cause the place i got it from they keep trans in stock so all i did was give them my old and get a new off the shelf unit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 11:19 am

Sounds like your trans is still in second gear if you're turning 3500 rpms at 60!
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 11:40 am

Could the tv cable be out of adjustment? If the tv cable is not adjusted correctly then the transmission will not shift correctly, eventually resulting in your new transmission failing early.
Back to top Go down
green96

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 9:43 am

scoffman wrote:
Could the tv cable be out of adjustment? If the tv cable is not adjusted correctly then the transmission will not shift correctly, eventually resulting in your new transmission failing early.

is it difficult to adjust the tv cable
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:15 am

The TV cable is self adjusting according to the FSM.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:21 am

They're supposed to be when you go through the procedure but often need a little fine tuning via an additional click or two in or out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 1:39 pm

From my experience and what my tranny guy told me it to set it for zero slack in the cable at WOT.
Back to top Go down
green96

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 12:42 pm

ok thanks for the info guys
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Yes but make sure WOT is with someone's foot pressing down on the pedal not your hand on the TBI vlave linkage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine rpm at highway speeds   engine rpm at highway speeds Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

engine rpm at highway speeds
Page 1 of 1