GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?

Go down 
+2
jayoldschool
Bull
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Empty
PostSubject: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 10:35 pm

I can get a nearly-new complete exhaust for my wagon for about $260. It would include the front pipes with the direct-fit cats, Flowmaster mufflers, and over-the-axle pipes that exit under the bumper (pointing out) and which have stainless tips on them. The tubing is the stock size, so not a larger performance system or anything.

I like this idea because of the more aggressive look of having rear-facing exhaust tips, and the Flowmasters would hopefully sound good. Not sure if the lack of resonators would muck up the sound.

Anyway, does that price sound good to you other folks? I can't ever trust myself when it comes to issues of value.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:24 pm

I hate the sound of Flows. I'm not alone. Also, if you have the stock exhaust, it is nice stainless that will last forever. Keep the pipes, and just put in a nice mellow set of turbo mufflers. That's just me, though...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:31 pm

I hate the sound of Flowmasters because, well... that's what everybody has. Blah.

Like Jay said: if it's still stock size, just do new mufflers, and if you want, ask them about doing some rear tips after the OTA pipes.

I got a quote similarly for about $300 to do a full dual exhaust on my car from the headers back with Flowmaster 40s (which I would obviously choose something else), so $250 seems to be about right (to answer your original question)
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 8:02 am

flows sound better with an H pipe ,. makes them less raspy,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 4:08 pm

When I exited at the rear bumper (like the seday) mine gave me some slight fumes in the car when the small rear windows were open.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 5:16 pm

Do you think turndowns would solve that/reduce it at all?

I hadn't thought of that....
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Do you think turndowns would solve that/reduce it at all?

I hadn't thought of that....

Mine were slight turn downs that exited just below the bumper, just like the sedan. That is why GM put that ugly exit on the wagons.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 10:37 am

I had the same issue on my K-5 blazer (wagon like with rear window). The low pressure behind the car pulls the fumes inside. Actually would get worse with front windows open (air gets pulled in rear of car and up to the front). To avoid you have to out the sides where the fumes don't swirl around behind the car.....

Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 pm

keep the stock pipes as they are all stainless and will last a long long time. The crap they are selling you is likely just steel and will rust off in time.
Swap the mufflers and call it a day!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 12:10 pm

^what he said
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Well, I went ahead and grabbed the system. I'm looking at it as a poor man's upgrade that will get me through until I am flush with cash. Uhh, wait, that will never happen, so it's going to get me through for a good long while. It is also appealing to me that this is a bolt-on way for me to get pipes that will exit under my rear bumper; it stresses me out to find good local people to deal with for work that my regular mechanic doesn't do, like custom exhaust stuff.

The parts came off a '96 RMW and have very few miles on them. The trans on the car died shortly after they were installed and the guy is parting it out.

Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? 100_8335_zps50e09aec

I'm going to clean, scuff, and paint everything that I can with a high temp coating to help it survive a little bit longer.

I am eager to get it installed, but likely need to wait for my spring break in a couple weeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?   Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap Exhaust Upgrade: Good Deal?
Page 1 of 1