GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
PatDTN

Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister Empty
PostSubject: Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister   Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 1:25 pm

I keep having problems with the evap cannister on my '96 RMW. I checked the hose integrity from the cannister in front of the tire and up. Can't find anything wrong there. I did find a split hose running along the intake manifold and replaced that. Then I found another split hose on the valve on the top of the valve cover. The smell is back. If I make sure to stop filling when the pump clicks off not to kick in a little more it does better. Still I can never be sure when I'm going to end up on a hill or slope that'll cause some gas to run into the cannister.

What am I missing? What's the most likely set of things to go through?
Back to top Go down
http://www.patdonahue.com
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister   Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 6:57 pm

dumb question: Where is the smell coming from? Front or back?
Back to top Go down
PatDTN

PostSubject: Re: Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister   Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
dumb question: Where is the smell coming from? Front or back?

Not a dumb question. It's coming from under the hood and gets inside the cabin through the fresh air intakes. It's a definite gas odor and can get very strong.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister   Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 7:09 pm

There is a return line and a vent line that run under the car. Both are rubber, same as vacuum lines

Check the line running FROM the regulator on the rear/top of manifold
Back to top Go down
PatDTN

PostSubject: Re: Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister   Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
There is a return line and a vent line that run under the car. Both are rubber, same as vacuum lines

Check the line running FROM the regulator on the rear/top of manifold

Sounds like a good place to start. I'll try applying some vacuum to it to see if it leaks quickly down. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister   Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ooooohh That Smell -- Charcoal Cannister
Page 1 of 1