GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?

Go down 
+3
Olds Weighty Eight
Gastt
Nick Danger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Empty
PostSubject: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:26 am

There is a Roadmaster wagon in the junkyard, the first B-body wagon since December 2011. Last week I took the whole tailgate and a Roadmaster wheel. I'm going back today to get the flyaway panels and the plasticware under the front bumper. What other wagon-specific parts should I get?

The stainless trim is toast. The rear bumper isn't an upgrade of the broken one on our car. The whole weight of the car is on the gas tank straps, so they're bent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:31 am

The grill, grill support, front bumper. Wagon specific stuff.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Grille is broken. I'll check out the grille support.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Rear vent windows and grab handle light lenses. Rear interior plastic panels in good shape will be sought after in years to come as well. Tail light assemblies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 12:46 pm

Considering the youth in your neighborhood,grab all unbroken glass!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 2:05 pm

What year is it, and what color is the interior?
The quarter windows are good to have as is the vista window. You have to remove them from the inside. There is a long blade for window tools that would make it easier to pull them. You can also get long handle boxcutter knives specifically for removing the windows like the vista one. They are not too hard to remove if you have the right tools.
The vista window shades, and the cargo cover if it has them.
Good seat belts are getting harder to find. The rears are wagon only with the upper anchor.
A complete lockset with key for the doors, gate, footwell, storage area, and glove box.
The HVAC fan if it is OEM, and the controller beside it.
Antenna, chrome trim around the windows in the doors. good seat skins, 94-96 door interiors (91-93 door interiors too).
If you can cut the rear quarters off, the northern boys like them.
Washer reservoir with pumps.
Front wheelhouses if not rusty. (taking the passenger's side out makes getting to the antenna easy). Headlight harness if it has the two light marker lights.
Belt line and top trim clips.
The small square fastener for the spare tire cover on the D pillar, and the push and turn fastener that goes into it.
Remote receiver behind the storage compartment panel.

The rear if it has a G80 on the SPID.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Considering the youth in your neighborhood,grab all unbroken glass!

Funny you should say that. Someone smashed the rear quarter window since I looked at it last week.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 5:34 pm

The cargo area lights from the D-pillar are hard to find.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
What year is it, and what color is the interior?
The quarter windows are good to have as is the vista window. You have to remove them from the inside. There is a long blade for window tools that would make it easier to pull them. You can also get long handle boxcutter knives specifically for removing the windows like the vista one. They are not too hard to remove if you have the right tools.
The vista window shades, and the cargo cover if it has them.
Good seat belts are getting harder to find. The rears are wagon only with the upper anchor.
A complete lockset with key for the doors, gate, footwell, storage area, and glove box.
The HVAC fan if it is OEM, and the controller beside it.
Antenna, chrome trim around the windows in the doors. good seat skins, 94-96 door interiors (91-93 door interiors too).
If you can cut the rear quarters off, the northern boys like them.
Washer reservoir with pumps.
Front wheelhouses if not rusty. (taking the passenger's side out makes getting to the antenna easy). Headlight harness if it has the two light marker lights.
Belt line and top trim clips.
The small square fastener for the spare tire cover on the D pillar, and the push and turn fastener that goes into it.
Remote receiver behind the storage compartment panel.

The rear if it has a G80 on the SPID.

1993 white with woodgrain, tan cloth interior.

Nothing is rusty. It seems to be a southwestern car.

I ran out of time and didn't want to figure out how to pull the antenna.

I didn't think of removing the beltline, discarding it, and saving the clips.

Someone already got the spare tire hardware, grab handle light covers, underhood light cover, whatever is in front of the engine block.

The interior is pretty shabby and stinks of incense. I suspect that the last owners were druggies.

Today I got tail lights, vent windows, flyaway panels, grille support, and a chrome low-profile roof rack crossbar.

I'll have to go back in a couple of days to get more stuff. Seatbelts might be good. Beltline clips.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 5:50 pm

My inventory now is

Tailgate
Rear Window
Taillights
Vent windows
Side mirrors
Caprice Radiator Support
Headlights
Grille and grille support
Random beltline parts. Some clips.
Wheel
Sedan antenna
Blower motor
Flyaway panels
Random 9c1 hoses
Autodim mirror

I'm running out of places to put it all.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 8:50 pm

If your rear quarter window is broken, I can walk you through removing them. The tan interior parts are a one year color, darker than 94-96, and the 91-2 tan is camel (baby poop yellow). Any panels/parts you can save are going to be rare. I think someone wanted that color in the parts wanted section. If they stink, shoot them with febreeze.
If you pull the wheelhouses (sell to rust belt owners), the antenna takes about 5 minutes to remove. Use a screwdriver and hammer to turn the bezel until it is loose, then there is a 10mm screw in the door jam, unhook the wires and it is yours (you have to pay for it too). If it does not work, the mast is still a hot item.
If you need advice on shipping large parts let me know. 727-692-5510
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 8:54 pm

As hard as these parts are getting to find,find room.I have parts stored everywhere in my house.Living room,big side porch,above the garage and shed number 1 to name a few,and both wagons too.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 7:06 am

Check with big john and the TANK, he needs a quarter panel. If you feel up to cutting one off, he would probably buy it from you.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 11:25 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Check with big john and the TANK, he needs a quarter panel. If you feel up to cutting one off, he would probably buy it from you.

I need the same quarter panel. I don't know how to cut it off.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 7:24 pm

I bought an 800 watt generator from Harbor Freight ($89.99 on special) and a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder ($9.99 on special) with a couple of packs of cutoff wheels. The generator will power the grinder, and it will cut through the sheet metal like a hot knife through butter. Wear safety glasses, long sleeves, and maybe work gloves, because there is a lot of metal sparks shooting around. Cut above the trim line (whichever one you need, and along the welds on the wheelhouse and other body panels. Cut the metal on the inside of the part wherever you need the part. I have cut numerous panels this way, and it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to cut one out. The generator runs for about 4 hours on a gallon of premix (oil and mid grade gas). I shut the generator off when changing work areas, and cutting wheels. You can even take a fan with you if it is hot out. I haul it on a luggage cart, and put it in the wheelbarrow at the yard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 7:51 pm

A portable fire extinguisher might be a good idea! bom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 8:17 pm

I never had any issues with fire. I do try to push the cutter away from me, because the wheel cuts down at the front. That puts most of the sparks on the other side of the sheet metal.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Nick Danger wrote:

I need the same quarter panel. I don't know how to cut it off.

you need the whole quarter of just part of it?

a battery powered 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel will usualy get you what you want as far as outer sheet metal patch panels,.

You can rent cutoff saws at tool rental places,. kinda like a chain saw but with a big wheel,.

Kinda fun, it'll slice up a car into wheel barrow sized lumps in 3-4 hrs,. Wink

Nick

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 9:13 pm

The battery powered one will work as long as you do not run out of battery power. If you run out of battery, you will be making a second trip to get the part. The cost of a good battery powered one will be about the same as the cheapie and the generator, and you can use the generator with a lot of other applications. I fried a cheapie angle grinder, but it paid for itself many times over before it went. If you fry a battery powered one, it is a lot more expensive to replace. You also do not have to worry about the battery dying with the generator. I have had mine for a couple of years and it is working just fine. It starts on the 4th or 5th pull, and just keeps on running. It got good reviews, and the angle grinder did too (at $10 the angle grinder is a throw away).
Back to top Go down
Zorrodeporro

Zorrodeporro

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Is there a towing device?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 2:45 pm

The generator only weighs about 30 lbs. I put it in my car, and use a luggage cart to move it from the car to the wheelbarrow in the yard. The little bit of effort is worth not making a second trip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?   There's a wagon in the junkyard!  What should I grab? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

There's a wagon in the junkyard! What should I grab?
Page 1 of 1