GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

difference between tires

Go down 
+2
jayoldschool
Krzdimond
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

difference between tires Empty
PostSubject: difference between tires   difference between tires Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 pm

My wife's G8 needs new shoes. The OE rubber on it now are the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and she likes them. Problem these puppies are $333 EACH!!

My question is: Is there really a difference between Max Performance Summer tire and, say, an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire?

Tirerack.com does not let me compare apples to oranges.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: difference between tires   difference between tires Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Yes, there is a difference. Your wife will notice it every track day, and every autocross session. She will also notice how much longer the all seasons last.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: difference between tires   difference between tires Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Robert, I would balk at paying much more than that for a set of 4, not 1.

Tom
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: difference between tires   difference between tires Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:16 pm

I lol'd @ jay, but that's EXACTLY what I was gonna say!!!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: difference between tires   difference between tires Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 pm

I also LOL'd. A little back story. Bought new tires for her Grand Prix and less than a month later, it rained, HARD. She had to panic stop and the tires were not up to the task. Traded them in for "better" tires and no more wet and dry traction issues. 

Even with the Bridgestones, she breaks traction more than I do.....

What I get to hear is "They aren't going to make my car ride like the Buick, are they?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: difference between tires   difference between tires Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 1:00 am

Considering your climate,just go with the high performance all season.Tell the wife you are going to buy her something pretty with all the money you save on tires.The original tires were installed to make sure you are very impressed with the handling on the test drive,after that they dont care!
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: difference between tires   difference between tires Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 9:42 am

The bridgestone is a nice tire but crazy money because it's OE. Unless your wife drives like a nut (think auto cross or high speed runs), a high performance all season will be just fine for some spirited driving. Look into the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2. If you can wait a few weeks and want a really good tire, like a Michelin, they are about to release the Pilot Sport AS3. It's supposed to be a very nice tire.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: difference between tires   difference between tires Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Ive had good luck with the Falken brand tires cheaper alternative to the Potenzas and still plenty grippy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: difference between tires   difference between tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

difference between tires
Page 1 of 1