GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear hatch release

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
hueterm

hueterm

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 9:41 pm

My '95 RMW rear hatch will not release by pushing the tailgate button, using the remote, or using the dash button.

The only way I can open it is to use the key.

Any ideas?  Is this realistically fixable?  It's a concern, as I primarily drive this w/my dog crated in the back, and if something happens and I can't open the hatch, it could become a problem.
Back to top Go down

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Open the glass and check the electrical contacts in the glass. If they're dirty/corroded, clean them with sandpaper.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Open the tailgate and remove the cover and look inside.   It's not unusual for the solenoid to fall off inside the gate or have a broken wire.
Back to top Go down
hueterm

hueterm

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Roo, does pushing the tailgate button activate a mechanical release or an electrical one?

As far as me opening the tailgate and having any idea what I'm looking at, is probably not going to happen.  But if it's something like that, I could have it looked at.
Back to top Go down

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Electrical. The only mechanical release is the turning of the key.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 11:37 pm

The latch assembly for the popper is plastic, and they are a common failure point. Pop the cover and look for broken plastic. Should be pretty obvious. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 8:04 am

Also seen a few where the mount point on the solenoid fatigues and breaks.  I actually had my daddy weld the first one back together...still holding 5 yrs later
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 9:39 am

Do your door locks work with the remote/door lock switch, including the gate lock?

The only items that affect the glass release directly and do not have an alternate path are the glass release relay in the convenience center and the transmission position switch.

Your transmission position switch may be out of adjustment/not making contact (ground). The gate will only work in park and neutral.  Another issue might be the gate relay on the convenience center by the steering column (this is the most likely).
Back to top Go down
hueterm

hueterm

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 11:39 am

Yes, the rest of the locks work fine, either with the remote or the door switches -- including the tailgate lock.  The only thing that doesn't is the hatch release (unless I use the key).
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 4:08 pm

I would try the relay in the convenience center (very inconvenient center) on the left beside the steering column as my first guess. Then the transmission position switch. It is one of the little black relays in row across the center of the convenience center.
Back to top Go down
hueterm

hueterm

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 2:09 pm

OK -- now yesterday it started working again...

So if it's intermittent, does that indicate one thing vs. another?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 8:20 pm

hueterm wrote:
OK -- now yesterday it started working again...

So if it's intermittent, does that indicate one thing vs. another?

Yes,... it indicates you haven't really found the problem or fixed it yet,.

maybe like the other guy who is having latch/gate problems,.you have a screw loose too?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 10:53 pm

The relay is your first choice, because it is easy. Second choice is the trans position switch. Intermittent means that you are waiting because right now it is not inconvenient. I have seen the latch solenoid stick, and if it is sticking, you will not have satisfactory functioning of the gate release. Something like a sticking solenoid could be an intermittent problem, but someday it will become constant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear hatch release Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear hatch release   Rear hatch release Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear hatch release
Page 1 of 1