GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pinion nut size?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
motorcitykid

Pinion nut size? Empty
PostSubject: Pinion nut size?   Pinion nut size? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 10:52 am

I have a 94 Caprice Wagon and want to know what the pinion nut size is before I get it in the air to replace a leaky pinion seal. I want to make sure I have the correct socket. Anybody know what size it is?
Back to top Go down
motorcitykid

Pinion nut size? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinion nut size?   Pinion nut size? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 9:33 pm

I was told that it is 1 1/4" earlier today. Just wanted to make sure as I don't have a bunch of bigger size metric sockets and I will not have a ride available when I tear into this. Didn't want to get the driveshaft out and find out I didn't have the right socket. That would decrease the fun level a notch or two putting it back together just to run and get the right socket.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Pinion nut size? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinion nut size?   Pinion nut size? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 10:31 pm

Buy the updated yoke/seal service kit if you haven't.
Back to top Go down
motorcitykid

Pinion nut size? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinion nut size?   Pinion nut size? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 11:21 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
More information please..Have not heard of such a kit.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Pinion nut size? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinion nut size?   Pinion nut size? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 11:06 am

That sounds right. I went and bought a wrench just for the job. Also when replacing make sure it's torqued right. If you aren't replacing the crush collar, I'd make it a little tighter. I did one on a 94 and sold the car. the rear made noise and the buyer called me. I told him to bring it back but he said it only was making noise when he slowed down. 300 miles later he was swapping the rear out.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Pinion nut size? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinion nut size?   Pinion nut size? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 11:39 am

motorcitykid wrote:
jayoldschool wrote:
More information please..Have not heard of such a kit.
Yup, listen to Jay. If you change that seal...it will just leak again. You likely have a groove on the actual yoke.

Here is the thread on when I did this to my old OCC. Already replaced this on my current wagon too.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t3295-updated-the-yoke-on-the-occ?highlight=yoke+kit

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

Pinion nut size? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pinion nut size?   Pinion nut size? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pinion nut size?
Page 1 of 1