GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sj95rmw

Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon  Empty
PostSubject: Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon    Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 3:19 pm

I just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon. High mileage, 195K but great body. Driving back, I noticed a shudder when
going up hill. Not continuously but happens & the speed drops off. Any guess ? TIA.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to fixing it up.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon    Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 4:50 pm

sj95rmw wrote:
Driving back, I noticed a shudder when
going up hill. Not continuously but happens & the speed drops off.  Any guess ?

Could be a lot of things, but my first thought would be a tuneup.

Welcome aboard!

Tom
Back to top Go down
sj95rmw

PostSubject: Re: Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon    Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Yea, I'm gonna replace the wires & plugs & fluids. The good part of this wagon is the condition of
the body & interior. It's a 1 owner car for the entire 195K miles & appears to have always been
garaged. Also has the posi + 2.96 + tow package.

The bad part is the shudder + the steering is squirrely in high speed sweeping corners. It doesn't
stay tracked, a little too exciting. I figure probably some worn out front suspension parts.
Back to top Go down
sj95rmw

PostSubject: Re: Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon    Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 4:14 am

Just spend about 2 hours going through the service records. Very interesting. 2 crashes. One in
the front looks to be fairly major. Hood + radiator + bumper. ABout 2K worth. The 2nd one seems
to be some lower door trim problems. The outside mirrors have been replaced. Several rat problems.
Destroyed the heater blower & fuel tank pump/sender. So those have been replaced. A bit negligent
on oil change in the past 20K miles. The smog test in 8/2013 is really good. Suspicious. Better than
the previous one. No indication of any smog equipment replacement between the 2 tests. A bunch
of belt replacements & various oil leaks. GM quality seems much worse than my Chrysler minivan
quality. My 2006 minivan has required nothing except scheduled stuff.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon    Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 6:51 am

I responded your post on the Roadmaster forum, so now I know the year, and know now that you have an opti-spark ignition. There is a very good chance that your opti-spark vent system is not working properly. The opti-spark is a sealed distributor/camshaft position sensor. Overall, it's pretty reliable but any moisture in there can cause a misfire so GM vents it with a vacuum line and restrictor on one end and supplies filtered air from the air intake to the other. Pop the small supply hose off the air intake (blue elbow) and check for a slight vacuum. If the cap seal is leaking, the vacuum can actually draw moisture into the opti. If the hoses are off, cracked or mushy, or if the restrictor is plugged, vacuum won't reach the opti.

Of course, this does not rule out wires, cap, plugs, fuel filter, injectors, fuel pump, etc. After 18 years, any or all could require service.

As for your minivan, let us know how it's doing in another 10 years. At least your RMW has steering...
Back to top Go down
sj95rmw

PostSubject: Re: Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon    Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 10:28 am

Thanks for the tip. I spent about 5 hours last night reading various threads so I've got a lot to check.
I bought this because I like the unique looks + the LT1/4L60E potent power combo. Hope I have
success working on this. My Chrysler is a simpler car but has been my best car purchase ever. I
expect to keep it another 20 years unless it gets crushed by a Suburban.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon    Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just got a 95 Roadmaster wagon
Page 1 of 1