GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wood delete

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lowlow37

lowlow37

Wood delete Empty
PostSubject: Wood delete   Wood delete Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 9:29 am

My car have the wood deleted already.. It is painted a hiddious red colour, and all the trim is left in the car.. The trim is not in a very good shape, so i am thinking of pulling the trim instead of just painting it. I am going for all black body. Does anyone have a good alternative to welding all the holes? I really dont think it is worth the effort, filling all the holes with the welder. I am thinking of either hammer the metal down a little bit around the holes, and fill with fibreglass, or maybe glue small pieces of plastic, or aluminum from the backside with some hardcore epoxi.. Has anyone here done it, how did you do, and what do you guys recommend me to do?
Back to top Go down
lowlow37

lowlow37

Wood delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wood delete   Wood delete Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 9:32 am

Wood delete 1530581_10151987046297758_1332433255_n
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Wood delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wood delete   Wood delete Icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 7:12 pm

On other projects I've used woven fiberglass wetted out with epoxy like boat builders do with very good results. Though I think welding or having someone do the welding of the holes is best it's not a big job and would suggest you go that route.
I removed the chrome trim from my wood delete wagon and will weld up the few holes in the doors after having ground down the mounting pegs. Jeff
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Wood delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wood delete   Wood delete Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 10:22 am

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, I'd weld it. It doesn't seem to me that it would take any longer than fiberglass or epoxy, you still have to make it smooth again.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Wood delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wood delete   Wood delete Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 1:06 pm

If you fiberglass the holes water will get to the back of them and they will pop when it gets cold.
Back to top Go down
etsfl

etsfl

Wood delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wood delete   Wood delete Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Quote :
I am thinking of either hammer the metal down a little bit around the holes, and fill with fibreglass, or maybe glue small pieces of plastic, or aluminum from the backside with some hardcore epoxi.. Has anyone here done it, how did you do, and what do you guys recommend me to do?

I did something similar on the hole in hood using J B weld several years ago and so far has held up.
I Chamfered the edges of hole with a dremel  tool grinder to get more bonding surface area .
Ground off paint on inside and outside of hole to bare metal about 2"X2" area.
Slightly indented hole from outside with small ball peen hammer.
Cut a piece of sheet metal 2"X2" and covered with generous coating of J B weld and bonded to backside of hole, holding in place with a wedge, filled outside with J B weld.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wood delete Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wood delete   Wood delete Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wood delete
Page 1 of 1