GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Woodie95

Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings? Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings?   Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Just picked up a 95 RMW...tailgate sags when opening like a door....I assume its the bushings that need replaced? Anyone done this fix? Where to get bushings? Thanks. Note: I did a search but nothing found on bushings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings?   Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 12:14 pm

As heavy as these tailgates are,I am sure they sagged when brand new.I have seen tailgate bushings on ebay but its been awhile.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings?   Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Could be a bent hinge.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings?   Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 pm

Does the tailgate sag when you are about ready to close it, or just when it is open all the way? If it is sagging when just about closed, you may be able to adjust the top hinge a little.
Back to top Go down
Woodie95

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings?   Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 5:47 am

It sags when open...and when about to close. Its constant. When open, you can lift up/down on the door and it gives (up and down) about a half inch. I've replaced bushings on car doors that have sagged...and it seems to me this is the same issue. I can see the door moving where the bushing should keep it solid. It's not supposed to sag...doubt they did new and no, the hinge is not bent. Again, once open, you can move the door up/down...too much play.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings?   Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 am

If you can replace the bushing and fix it, it would be the cheapest route. If not, to the best of my knowledge, a used hinge is all there is available. You may have to adjust the linkage after the repair.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings?   Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 am

I replaced the lower hinge on my '96 Roady. See link here: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t1994-tailgate-hinge-issue?highlight=tailgate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings?   Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate sags; is it just the bushings?
Page 1 of 1