GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
randumnumber

Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Empty
PostSubject: Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.   Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Well, I took the car to a tire shop to have them patch a nail hole causing a slow leak in one of the rear tires. They put it on the lift and couldn't get the wheel off of the car!!
I live in the south so rust isn't really an issue. They did everything they could literally hit it with a hammer, tried to lower the car and put weight on the wheel in order to get it to break loose. So, anyone else run into this? I'm thinking of rigging up some kind of press in order to push the wheel off. Maybe a bottle jack between the frame and wheel, just dont want to bend anything.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.   Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 10:12 pm

On my C10, I had this issue with the front wheels. They were on there tight! I was whacking them with a 10-pound sledge, PB blaster, everything. I actually cracked one of the steel wheels.

What I did was put the lugnuts on finger tight, and drove it around the driveway. They broke free after 50 feet.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.   Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 11:28 pm

They are usually tight at the center locating ring. Some anti-seize might keep it from happening again.

Try the trick with the finger tight nuts, and swerve from side to side. It should not hurt anything. The shop guys probably did not want to try it because of legal issues. Heating it may loosen it as well, but concentrate on the center.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.   Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Please dont drive around in one of these heavy wagons with loosened lugnuts.Try this first,loosen the lugnuts about 5 full turns from normal tight,leaving the car on lift start the car and put in drive and let the rear tires turn while idling.Jam on the brakes and that should break the wheel loose from the axle hub.If this wont work,try again from about 10 to 20 mph and stomp the brakes.Usually the centrifugal force will do the job.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.   Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 12:02 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
They are usually tight at the center locating ring. Some anti-seize might keep it from happening again.

Try the trick with the finger tight nuts, and swerve from side to side. It should not hurt anything. The shop guys probably did not want to try it because of legal issues. Heating it may loosen it as well, but concentrate on the center.
I had to do this every spring in Syracuse to get the snow tires off.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.   Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 12:50 am

your not using a big enough hammer,..rotate the wheel as you beat it from the inside,
use some antiseize when you re install it,.

sherlock wrote:
I had to do this every spring in Syracuse to get the snow tires off.

you ever hear of anti-seize?

Last edited by phantom 309 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.   Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 8:24 am

This is redneck technology here. We are trying to get the job done with minimal effort, and reasonable risk (at least from what can be determined by a good ole boy). Make the car do the work, it caused the problem.
Back to top Go down
randumnumber

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.   Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 8:32 pm

So, I loosened the lugnuts about 1/8th of an inch and drove down the driveway swerving back and forth. heard a large POP, got it back up on the jack stands and had to give the wheel a hard kick to knock it loose. Anti seize compound was added before putting it back together. Got the CC623's and KYB gas adjusts under the rear end Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.   Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Good deal. Glad it worked for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.   Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear wheels are stuck on, wont budge.
Page 1 of 1