GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The kids voted!

Go down 
+3
DBeaSSt
bamalongroof
tom.cates
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tom.cates

tom.cates

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 12:54 pm

All,

Tom from Asheville. First, thank all of you that moderate and administrate this forum. Congratulations, you've all done a great job, and I know how hard it can be. I've helped a little with that sort of stuff before on a VW Bus Forum... And everyone here, all of the information, you all are awesome.

Anyway I'm slowly, too slowly rebuilding the engine in my bus, and whenever I go without a bus for much time at all my face starts twitching and I am overcome with an innate station wagon mania. We had three when I was a kid, a 66 Falcon, an early 70's Colony Park (it didn't fit in the garage so my Dad traded pretty quickly) and a (I remember 73, my Dad remembers 76) Montego.

The general consensus in our family was that:

The Falcon was fast, it had a 289 and my Dad never tired of reminding us that it had a 'Mustang' motor and he beat a Harley at a stoplight in CA when it was new. But, by the time it was six years old and had only lived in CA and GA it was already rusty all over and had a 'cracked transmission'.

The Colony Park was the most awesome vehicle ever, Powder Blue with wood grain and the awesome double/facing way back seat. The first time my Dad brought it home all the other kids in the neighborhood came and gawked, and drooled, nobody else had a station wagon that fine. Or large. It had a 430 and it bellowed, but I don't remember it being particularly fast. I do remember my Dad cursing up a storm the first night we had it - I was already in bed but not asleep when I heard it, got up and snuck across the house and peeked out of my parents bedroom window and my Dad was just standing there in the driveway, looking at the ass end of the wagon sticking out of the garage. It took me a second to realize what my Dad had just figured out, that it was too big... then it was gone. We only had it a few months and my Dad claims it was hit in the back and totaled by a Marta Bus, but I have my doubts.

And the Montego sucked. It had a 351 that bogged every time my Mom stepped on the gas, which infuriated her. We had that thing most of my childhood. It did have beautiful and durable emerald green metallic paint, my Dad sold it to a neighbor after we were done with it and years later it still shine, even though he used it for a construction vehicle.

So, I did the same when I had my first child, and bought a used 95 E320. I'm not sure I understand wagons that don't have third rows.

Probably just like most everyone here, I can't do the Minivan or SUV. The wagon has moved on and the kids are getting too big for my convertible, so it's time to switch. We had a vote, German or American, and the kids all voted American.

I'm going this afternoon to look at a Burgundy 95 RMW, wish me luck, and again thank all of you for helping me figure out what to do and how to do it on one of these wagons.

Tom
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi Tom welcome to the forum good luck! Jeff
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 6:46 am

Tom, Welcome to Longroof! I know there are a few longroof fans in your area. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
brokecello
brokecello

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 8:39 am

Hey....I think you bought the wagon...and I passed you (and gave a lil honk and wave) yesterday on US25 in Travelers Rest!

I was in a white Caprice...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
81X11

81X11

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:12 am

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
tom.cates

tom.cates

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:34 am

It's pretty magnificent. The salesman told me that 'there was another guy from Atlanta coming on Thursday' (right? who's never heard that one) so I zipped on down there yesterday afternoon. Just to be sure. I didn't want a white one, I wanted a red one or a green one, but it looks like maybe there were not any green in the years I wanted.

When I got home the kids pronounced it the 'coolest car ever'. The tailgate blew them away. They marveled at the seat belt buckles.

We made our first jump.

The two littlest were in the way back, already with their hands in the air like they were riding a roller coaster (it needs shocks pretty bad), when I turned left into the car wash. Normally, I approach it from the other direction...

In my defense, we were travelling sedately. I noticed that the parking lot was full of people as I swung it over, then I hit the little ramp into the lot that I've never really noticed before. She squatted down and then suddenly leapt up into the air and traveled sideways a good two inches before squawking down in a reasonably graceful four point landing. The kids were screaming 'do it again, Daddy!' and I was too shocked and amused to even look over at the crowd in the lot, but I sure wish I could have seen it from the outside.

Tom.

Last edited by tom.cates on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tom.cates

tom.cates

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:40 am

Brokecello,

Yes, that was me.

I saw an Olds out of the corner of my eye waiting to get onto 25 and at first I was thinking it was you, but I guess I know better now since you have a sedan.

Have you looked at it on the lot? What was your evaluation of it?

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 4:10 pm

Welcome aboard, great story from the car wash....I remember when the 68 Caddy had bald tires and my Mom got on the 472 in the rain.....sideways for 100 ft. wheeeeee! Do it again Mom! lmao.

You are in a good area with a strong community of great guys. I bought a car or two from up that-a-ways lol.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm only strong when I don't use deodorant.

Welcome to the forum!

Dave
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 12:44 pm

tom.cates wrote:
Brokecello,

Yes, that was me.

I saw an Olds out of the corner of my eye waiting to get onto 25 and at first I was thinking it was you, but I guess I know better now since you have a sedan.

Have you looked at it on the lot? What was your evaluation of it?

Tom

No, I did not see it on the lot!  I just remember seeing you driving and a temp tag on it...so I kinda guessed Smile    I have a buddy in West Asheville who has a 96 DGGM SS and a 94 Roadmaster Sedan.  We get together a good bit, so if you ever want to do a carshow or cruise in...let me know.  The next show we are going to is the Poplar Carshow on the 19th. I pretty much drive my wagon to Club events or Shows and drive my Caprice Sedan daily.  

We just did the Greenville Cars and Coffee this past Sat...you should bring the wagon down for that!  We have another friend in Spartanburg with a 91 Rat Rod Wagon.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Sounds like you got a nice wagon,welcome to the group!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The kids voted! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The kids voted!   The kids voted! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The kids voted!
Page 1 of 1