GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hub adapters

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
71novaguy

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 10:32 am

Ok, I've got vibrations since I installed these 15x8 rally's. the tire shop says I need hub centering rings.
Anyone else had this issue?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 10:44 am

I ran lug-centric adapters for a long time with no runout problems at all.

Put the rear axle on jackstands, start the car and put it in OD and let it idle. Look for any runout, first at the rim and then at the tire. Shut the car off BEFORE you put it back in Park (Trust me).
Back to top Go down

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 1:35 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
I ran lug-centric adapters for a long time with no runout problems at all.  

Put the rear axle on jackstands, start the car and put it in OD and let it idle.  Look for any runout, first at the rim and then at the tire.   Shut the car off BEFORE you put it back in Park (Trust me).

I can hear the transmission clacking as I read this!Was it costly to repair,you can also gently apply the brakes to stop the rear wheels before putting it in park!
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 2:22 pm

Lug centric wheel nuts should be hand tightened with the car jacked up then 80% torqued in the air (crossing pattern) then let it down and torque the nuts fully.... It works well for me my BMW's are hub centric and I use this process with them when changing to studs and larger wheels vs the bolts on the stock application... Jeff
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 5:54 pm

I have pretty much done that. I snug them in air with my electric impact then set them down and tighten with the torque wrench. I can put my small air impact on it and try again. Anyone know where you would even get this hub adapter?
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 am

Ok. Well wheel vendor says hub adapters do not exist for steel wheels.
They are lug centering so something else is wrong.
Looking the front end over, I had already replaced all the steering linkage.
Reading the repair manual, I believe the left side lower ball joint is worn out.
The shoulder is recessed, not flush or protruding. If that's the case, anyone
been able to press the joint out on the car? Pulling the whole lower
control would suck.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:11 am

Have you had them on a balancer to check the runout when OFF the car?
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:49 am

I would assume the tire guys do that? Is that not something they check when balancing tires?
The wheel guy said he spins all the rims before he sells.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:43 pm

71novaguy wrote:
Ok. Well wheel vendor says hub adapters do not exist for steel wheels.
They are lug centering so something else is wrong.
Looking the front end over, I had already replaced all the steering linkage.
Reading the repair manual, I believe the left side lower ball joint is worn out.
The shoulder is recessed, not flush or protruding. If that's the case, anyone
been able to press the joint out on the car? Pulling the whole lower
control would suck.

You can get a loaner tool from Autozone and press it out and the new one in while still on the car. Support the arm while removing the spindle, and ball joint replacement. Pretty easy. You should replace the other side at the same time just in case it is worn. It is not all that much more work, it is inexpensive, and you already have the tool to work with. Check with Rock Auto, and use their 5% discount code on the forum.

You may have to jack it a bit high to get the tool under the arm for installation. I forget which way the tool goes.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 5:33 am

10-4. I see the tool. Heck I got top an bottom ball joints off eBay for both sides. Spent maybe $40. Not bad at all
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 9:22 am

Well that's not a project I ever want to do again. You can't get the ball joint started straight. You almost don't have enough leverage to press the joint it. Luckily I have along ass break over bar.
Then, once the joint makes it in, you put the spindle on and the lower joint falls back out. Lucky I live close to summit and they carry the complete lower arm
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Hope it solves your issues.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Well it does drive better. Still needs aligned, replaced shocks and away bar end links while I was replacing the control arm. Hopefully after that all the vibration goes away
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hub adapters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hub adapters    Hub adapters  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hub adapters
Page 1 of 1