GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Did I order the wrong center caps?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Did I order the wrong center caps? Empty
PostSubject: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:55 pm

So... the Fleetwood wheel idea is scrapped, long story. So instead, I decided to go with the truck center caps, because I like that look too.

So off I go to hubcap kingdom, and order myself a set. They arrive, and I'm excited... but they don't fit?

Here's some pictures to show what I was sent. Any help is appreciated.

Did I order the wrong center caps? 0325134545

Did I order the wrong center caps? 0325134559

And here's the wheel:

Did I order the wrong center caps? 0325130128
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Note: I also tried fitment when taking the wire wheel cover holding piece off. The caps appear too large.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 2:05 pm

I think you need the metal ones. I don't have any closeup pics handy. And yeah, those wire wheel thingy's have to come off regardless.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the metal 'rally truck wheel' caps like I have on mine. They are bolt on so you'd need to tap holes in your wheels.
Did I order the wrong center caps? 654230k_27
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Quarterracer

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 2:23 pm

The way those caps are designed to be held on is with the plastic lugs that screw onto threaded lug nuts underneath them. That might be what you need to get them on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Ahh... that could be.

I just looked at the post where these were suggested, and indeed it mentions threaded lugs.

Quote :
Like 94Woody said, 88+ Chevy 1500 pick up 2WD centers are way easier, and I think they look nicer and cleaner. Everything you need (caps, dual threaded lugs, retaining caps) can be gotten from www.hubcapkingdom.com. The owners are the parents of a former ISSF member. Nice people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Well damn, lol. Can't put these on yet then. They'll have to wait for summer. Hubcapkingdom said like $55 for the lugs and retaining caps.

Edit: After some ebaying goodness, I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-CHEVY-GMC-OEM-LUG-NUTS-DOUBLE-THREADED-14MM-X1-5-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27a88d355eQQitemZ170331551070QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

$15 shipped for 24 lugs. Are those the right size?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 5:04 pm

No. 12x1.5, I believe...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 5:22 pm

Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 7:12 am

The lug nots for those caps are bigger, as the truck stud is bigger. They can be made to work. But it will take some thought. You would need 19 mm 12x1.5 threaded lug nuts, and caps, and some brass or aluminum washers which are wide enough to fit around the plastic cap, but narrow enough on the outside to fit in the slot on the cap. This is how I did it 14 years ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 7:13 am

This sounds like a major PITA. lol
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am

Just go with 9C1 caps, drill your wheels. Cheap chrome lug nuts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:00 am

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:06 am

jayoldschool wrote:
Just go with 9C1 caps, drill your wheels. Cheap chrome lug nuts.

Yup. May not be quite as pretty but it works. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:07 am

You know, I'm warming up to the plain steel wheels too.... after a few more coats of black spray, they shine up rather well.

I'll see what happens. For now, they stay bare (I really, really dislike the wires).
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:20 am

If you just want something to break up all the black, you can get trim rings that just 'snap' in there.

Just a thought....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:21 am

Well right now its got black wheels with the whitewalls. It looks like, oddly masculine to me. Like "Yeah, I have the tux but I'll kick your ass" type look.

I'll probably change it up in the summer when I turn the whitewalls in.
Back to top Go down
What2Do96

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I had the same problem with mine last month. I bought the threaded lug nuts and black caps for a grand am or cavalier. Can't remember Napa would know though. But anyways, the holes on the caps were too big so I went to home depot and got some rubber O-rings in the plumbing dept. and put those on the black plastic lug caps. Made the black caps just big enough to hold the larger truck center caps in place. Worked like a charm!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 4:24 pm

Hmm... that sounds pretty easy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did I order the wrong center caps?   Did I order the wrong center caps? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did I order the wrong center caps?
Page 1 of 1