GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Over heated and blew a little oil out

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RedDawg76

RedDawg76

Over heated and blew a little oil out Empty
PostSubject: Over heated and blew a little oil out   Over heated and blew a little oil out Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 1:58 pm

I was on my way to Vegas and the car overheated going thru the grades their. The car boiled over and the oil pressure dropped.I let it cool for a but and just trailored it the rest of the way.Not sure if the engine is toast so we didn't want to push it.It still starts and runs fine now that it has cooled. The car has 264000 miles on it so it could be that time.

Last edited by RedDawg76 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: Over heated and blew a little oil out   Over heated and blew a little oil out Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 2:04 pm

Time for an lt1 swap Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RedDawg76

RedDawg76

PostSubject: Re: Over heated and blew a little oil out   Over heated and blew a little oil out Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 2:48 pm

How hard is the swap? Is there a post in here about it?Also I might have a line to get a 383 for dirt cheap so might go that route.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Over heated and blew a little oil out   Over heated and blew a little oil out Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 4:27 pm

was the temp gauge maxed? my '92 over heated on the way home from wagon fest last year when my waterpump started to quit. funny story actually, i jumped out of the car at the border line and added water to my steaming puking engine. got lots of looks, especially from the border patrol lol. made it home safe though and the border guards let me pull into the check station and they filled containers of water for me. anywho if you havnt noticed any weird sounds or signs its probably fine. l05/3 are tough little b*stards.

as far as the tbi to lt1 swap concerning our wagons, it is actually more of a pain in the ass then it sounds. easier and better gains with an lsx swap if you wanna go that route...
Back to top Go down
RedDawg76

RedDawg76

PostSubject: Re: Over heated and blew a little oil out   Over heated and blew a little oil out Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Yeah the water pump was running good so its not that. That's a funny story though. It was not maxxed out we were nursing once we saw any change in temp. Its was like 85 degrees and my dad was driving it trying to keep up with my truck thru those grades. We got to a place called Nothing, AZ and pulled over and let it sit for about an hour it puked almost all the coolant out. We refilled it when we came back and the car ran fine but the temp gauge started to rise again so we just parked and towed it from there. What about a carbuerated 383 in are cars? Or can I put the TBI setup on the older block 383?
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Over heated and blew a little oil out   Over heated and blew a little oil out Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Tbis are pretty limited to major upgrades like a 383. Its possible to run TBI on it but it'd be a pita to tune right. I'd go carbed if I had a 383
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Over heated and blew a little oil out   Over heated and blew a little oil out Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Any swap will be interesting if that is what you want in the end. Otherwise I would run some simple tests to determine the health of your motor and the cause of the overheating. Could be simple as a thermostat and complex as a cracked head. A garage could find the cause fairly quickly if you have one you trust. Jeff
Back to top Go down
RedDawg76

RedDawg76

PostSubject: Re: Over heated and blew a little oil out   Over heated and blew a little oil out Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 8:34 pm

I am gonna get it warm and do an oil change and also replace the thermostat. I messed up when I originally wrote the first post the oil pressure dropped. I originally posted it rose.Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the comments.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Over heated and blew a little oil out   Over heated and blew a little oil out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Over heated and blew a little oil out
Page 1 of 1