GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon. Empty
PostSubject: Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon.   Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 12:25 am

A few weeks ago my front wiper fuse started to trip. The first time, I thought nothing of it. It happened again a week later. Then, the next day. Obviously something is/was wrong. All wiring/connections looked fine, and no physical obstructions. A new wiper motor is only $60, so given it's a 17 year old car, I went that route. When I took the old motor out of the car, took off the delay module that bolts to the wiper motor, I saw the motor had no grease, and the gears looked rough. I figured problem solved. The crappy old motor drew too much juice, and blew the fuse. I put in the new motor and it works perfectly, delay, wipers park properly, everything. But, 2 days later, it blows the fuse again. I replace the fuse, it wipes once, and blows again. I replace the fuse again, and now, after a really rainy day, it is working perfectly. Anybody have any thoughts? It's a southern, completely rust free car, and the underhood looks new. The turn signal/wiper switch seems to work fine. I have about zero electrical abilities, and given how the old motor looked I thought the problem was solved.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon.   Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 7:09 am

The rain lubed things up,...so i.d pull the arms, cross shaft and swivels and grease them up too,..
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon.   Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 7:31 am

phantom 309 wrote:
The rain lubed things up,...so i.d pull the arms, cross shaft and swivels and grease them up too,..
That's an interesting idea. Spray white lithium grease you think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon.   Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Nicks right as usual but you also need to check the wiper arm springs for rust.If the spring is real rusty it will cause the arm push against the windshield too hard and that will blow a fuse.I always have to remind myself that my OCC is turning 25 shortly.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon.   Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Well I think the problem is finally solved, and I wanted to post this because if it happened to me, it could happen to other cars too. What I missed the first time around was a small break in the wire harness where it connects to the wiper motor. The harness touches the tranny dipstick tube, and if the break in the wire moved just right, it shorted out. I can't take credit for the find; the local shop where I get service word done found it today. We are leaving for Florida on Friday, and I took it to the shop for an oil change, re pack the front wheel bearings, and just a general check up prior to our almost 1300 mile trip. This problem had been so frustrating. Sometimes the wipers would work for a few weeks without problem, then just stop. This morning, just before going to the shop, it blew 4 fuses in a row before I gave up and just added the wipers to the list of other things I wanted done. Lets hope this is all it was!!
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon.   Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 1:08 am

Thnx for posting this. As you say, we have old cars with a lot of wire.
Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon.   Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weird Wiper Problem on 96 Roady Wagon.
Page 1 of 1