GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Antenna repair

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 pm

So the antenna on my new rig is .... what?  Busted like everyone elses.

I have removed it and wonder if anyone has had luck splitting the case with out making a total hash of it.

I tested it and it sounds like the teeth are stripped. I can pull the antenna up and down just fine.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 8:48 pm

I got it apart and am now looking for a mast. Everything else looks good.

I have pictures but you all have to wait until my probationary Noob period ends before I can post them.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 10:25 pm

You will be hard pressed to find a good mast. They are no longer available new. The only way you are going to find a mast is from a junkyard car. I used to replace them, but since there are no more, I can only replace the cable that makes them go up and down. Occasionally I find a good used antenna, and will sell it. Watch my parts for sale threads here and on ISSF.

Check with people parting out wagons and Caprice sedans. They are the only masts that are compatible. I try to hoard them, but there are hardly any to hoard. I have posted a couple of times on how to assemble them correctly. I use #10 machine screws, and nuts except for the one at the center of the drum. I use a threaded nylon bushing for that.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 6:45 am

I'm not sure I am using the right terminology. The mast is the telescoping stainless part? The cable is a nylon coil that runs the mast up & down. I was going to try weed wackier cord if I can find it in the right diameter.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 10:05 am

You can get the cable on here: [url=http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Cheverolet/Caprice/Caprice 1991-1996.htm]http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Cheverolet/Caprice/Caprice%201991-1996.htm[/url].
The mast is the telescoping part made from stainless steel.

You can remove the finial by heating it, and clamping the top section of the mast (actually part of the cable assembly) in a smooth vise and unscrewing the end. Assembling the new one is only a matter of screwing it on while held in the vise.

You can not replace the nylon part of the cable, because the ends are crimped to the cable, and removing the "crimp" is nearly impossible. The bottom hook is impossible because the cable runs through it, and it is aluminum, and will break when straightened.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 am

www.antennamastsrus.com

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Cheverolet/Caprice/Caprice%201991-1996.htm

They have OEM masts for a ridiculous price, but also have complete replacement units for under $40.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 8:57 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
www.antennamastsrus.com

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Cheverolet/Caprice/Caprice%201991-1996.htm

They have OEM masts for a ridiculous price, but also have complete replacement units for under $40.

They do not have the masts. It states "out of stock". I bought the last one about a year ago. They do have the cable. The replacement units are generic, and not GM. They must be customized to fit a Caprice or wagon. they will work, but they are instantly recognizable as generic, because the antenna finial blocks the bezel on the outside of the fender, but does not retract inside of the fender like the OEM units.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Nylon cable replaced with Red trimmer cable.
Photo's to come. Works like a charm.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Ok, This has probably been covered before but this is my story.

I un-bolted all of the parts on the inner fender and dropped it down.

Antenna repair DSCN2173-M

This allowed me enough space to snake the motor out.

Antenna repair DSCN2174-M

I was able to drill / press the roll tubes that hold the halfs together.

Antenna repair DSCN2175-M

This is the broken cable.
Antenna repair DSCN2176-M

I picked up some .105 trimmer line. It is about .020 smaller than the original.
Antenna repair DSCN2180-M

I then cut he crimp off the hook that holds the cable to the gear.
Antenna repair DSCN2178-M

With a .105 drill I drilled in the the remaining cable in the metal tube. (no photo's, hands were full.)
I re-crimped the trimmer cord into the tube and hooked it to the gear wheel.  I did run the antenna and unplugged it so it was in the up position. Once hooked in I ran the antenna to the down position which retracted the trimmer cable. I drilled and crimped the new cable into the antenna end and pit the cases back together.

Antenna repair DSCN2179-M

I did it a second time when I realized I put the the antenna on backwards. scratch

Works like a charm.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 5:03 pm

You could have heated the end of the mast section, and pulled the nylon out in one piece, then you would not have to drill it out.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You could have heated the end of the mast section, and pulled the nylon out in one piece, then you would not have to drill it out.

Well, the tube is pinched twice on both sides pinching it in there pretty well. I thought of burning it out. pirat
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 8:33 pm

VT Wagon - Excellent write up and the photos are a great help! I love being able to fix these things such as this rather than trying to source a scarce replacement (that may well fail too due to age).

So when off, was the factory set up that the top of the antenna be flush with the top of the fender mount or was it slightly recessed into the fender mount hole? I have 2 wagons and one is flush and one is recessed.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Wagoninabox wrote:

So when off, was the factory set up that the top of the antenna be flush with the top of the fender mount or was it slightly recessed into the fender mount hole?  I have 2 wagons and one is flush and one is recessed.

The finial is below the trim nut. I can get a photo.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Wagoninabox wrote:
VT Wagon - Excellent write up and the photos are a great help!  I love being able to fix these things such as this rather than trying to source a scarce replacement (that may well fail too due to age).

So when off, was the factory set up that the top of the antenna be flush with the top of the fender mount or was it slightly recessed into the fender mount hole?  I have 2 wagons and one is flush and one is recessed.

The OEM is recessed, and the aftermarket will be flush with the fender, or on top of the bezel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Antenna repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna repair   Antenna repair Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Antenna repair
Page 1 of 1