GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff Empty
PostSubject: LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff   LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 11:02 pm

Did a search and didn't find an answer to this question - does the LT1 have a fuel pump cutoff if oil pressure drops to 0? Thanks, Jeff
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff   LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 7:52 am

Some say it does, others say it doesn't. I can tell you the oil sender on my Caprice has been bad for years and pegs in the red with the "check gauge" light on yet continues to run fine.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff   LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 10:05 am

I think a lot of LT1's show low oil pressure. Mine's above halfway on the gauge when cold, but once warmed up at idle it sits right below the lower mark to right above the red mark. Car runs super and always has!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff   LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 10:36 am

Do you have a gauge that follows the pressure, or was it pegged when on, and not when off? If so you may have a sender that only registers when the pressure is on, and off, not the variations in pressure. The sender in this case could be the issue. They do go bad, and you have to replace it with the proper one.

I do not know if the oil pressure switch will kill the pump. According to the Haynes manual, the oil pressure switch bypasses the fuel pump relay to allow the engine to start when there is proper oil pressure. From what I understand, as long as there is a spark signal, the fuel pump continues to run.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff   LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Anyone got a wiring diagram for this circuit? That would solve it
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff   LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 9:04 pm

You need a wiring diagram of the computer to determine what inputs the computer gets, and how they are handled.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff   LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Well my wagon is back on the road with a new all aluminum radiator and oil cooler delete as mtrhead79 suggested.
The car is running perfect even after losing 4 of its 5 quarts of oil with a *^$@+* Dorman one piece gasket for the oil cooler lines to adapter.

Hopefully I have not shortened the life of the engine no knocking or odd sounds on startup and just drove her 100 miles all seems as normal Yea! Jeff
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff   LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LT1 Low oil pressure FP cutoff
Page 1 of 1