GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good place to tap into 12V for gauges?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

Good place to tap into 12V for gauges? Empty
PostSubject: Good place to tap into 12V for gauges?   Good place to tap into 12V for gauges? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2015 11:03 pm

Hey gang,

I buddy gave me a old tach he had that will work well in the Roady.  I'd like one a little bigger, but this doesn't block anything.  And I can't beat the price.

I figured out where to run the tach wire to the PCM and picked up a pin from Napa.

I already have one 12 gauge wire running from the aux battery post to power our brake controller.  I need another switched 12V source for the tach and other gauges I would like to install,

One thought I had was to up the wire size currently running into the car and put a small 4 spot fuse box up under the dash, use one spot for the brake controller, another for gauges, a third for aux/phone power and fourth for the radio.

But I was wondering if there is an easier  spot in the fusebox to tap into?  I don't need much power for the gauges, not like the brake controller.

I attached a shot of where the gauge will sit.  The other gauges (trans temp, oil pressure and volts) will likely either sit under the ashtray, hidden in the ashtray, or in a bin above the rear view mirror (my preferred spot).

Good place to tap into 12V for gauges? 20150127_124715

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com

PostSubject: Re: Good place to tap into 12V for gauges?   Good place to tap into 12V for gauges? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 11:16 am

Tach looks great where you placed it and I know someone here will know the best wire to use.Dont know if you are a smoker but there is a pod that replaces the ashtray that will hold a couple of gauges.I have a 3 gauge pillar pod for my wagon,just need to decide which gauges to use and then mount them.Already have a NICE vac gauge to use and have always liked how much a vac gauge can tell you with just a quick glance.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Good place to tap into 12V for gauges?   Good place to tap into 12V for gauges? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 1:01 pm

Not a smoker so happy to give up the ashtray. Honestly I would be happy to tuck away most of the gauges, we really only need them when towing. The rest of the time I'd be happy to keep the cabin a bit less cluttered.

I had thought about gutting the ashtray and moving the cig lighter lower. I already have a 3 way adapter with USB ports plugged into it, I can just hard wire it in.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: Good place to tap into 12V for gauges?   Good place to tap into 12V for gauges? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 1:31 pm

Been a while since I installed a tach, but one wire is for illumination, one is ground, one is signal. Is there a 4th? I though the signal tapped into the coil power wire and ran the tach?

Also, that one looks about the right size. Pull that dash out and drill a hole in the top left corner.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Good place to tap into 12V for gauges?   Good place to tap into 12V for gauges? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 4:30 pm

4th wire is 12v power. I am going to mount it right where it is, there is no good place in the dash to mount it.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: Good place to tap into 12V for gauges?   Good place to tap into 12V for gauges? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Hey Flashroo, can you call out a source for that screw in pod, for the ashtray replacement? I was searching a while back and couldn't find anything.

Thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good place to tap into 12V for gauges?   Good place to tap into 12V for gauges? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good place to tap into 12V for gauges?
Page 1 of 1