GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!

Go down 
+4
MalibuSSwagon
steel-and-fire
cammerjeff
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Empty
PostSubject: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 10:53 am

Well it made the trip to work (37 miles) with no issues, I am just amazed at what it takes to get a low mileage (37,000) Neglected but stored inside car roadworthy! After replacing the Obvious things, Tires, hoses, belts, changing all the fluids but the transmission fluid that will be done when the shift kit is installed later this year. The brake fluid was a mess, the main brake line to the rear axle was clogged!!!! I couldn't believe the amount of congelled DOT 3 that cam out of it!!!!
Good news is it drives well and straight, Brakes now work very well, but even with the Buick 350 4bbl it is very slow. Hopefully a new dual exhaust system will wake it up some, Still have to check the ignition advance, that may be part of the issue. The bad EGR valve was causing some issues until it was replaced last week. The car does have a very cheap muffler shop single exhaust system and the original bead type Cat on it.
MPG not to bad at alittle over 17 highway. Looking forward to driving it this summer. Not to replace the almost not working aftermarket AM Radio. Definatly needs some tunes.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 11:06 am

Huzzah!

Good to see all the hard work pay off. A true dual does help. It made my feeble 307 a little better (or at least sound better)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 2:00 pm

cheers
I definitely think cars are people too.
Keep driving it and it will become more happy.
Worked with mine, which was mad when I din't drive it for the winter. made noises and threw codes, but after it new it was appreciated it came around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 3:02 pm

802 wrote:
cheers
I definitely think cars are people too.
Keep driving it and it will become more happy.
Worked with mine, which was mad when I din't drive it for the winter.  made noises and threw codes, but after it new it was appreciated it came around.

Cars definitely seem to run better when driven versus sitting for months at a time.I saw your "cars are people too" and thought what the hell are you talking about and then I saw you are in Vermont! lol!
I couldn't resist.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 7:59 pm

My OCC is a very happy car, I've put about 15k miles on it since January 2014.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 10:37 pm

pontiac wagon, with a buick 350,...

How strange,..
Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 8:16 am

phantom 309 wrote:
pontiac wagon, with a buick 350,...

How strange,..

I know what you mean, I wish the original owner had opted for the 400 engine option that would have gotten the last of the Pontiac 400's for a Big car. But 77 was the last year the Pontiac 350 was made. I am torn about it not having a 301 Pontiac (the base engine for a B-body Safari in 77-79) While I would be even more unhappy with the cars performance, it would be easier to bolt in that 455 that has been sitting in the shed waiting to be rebuilt.

I am not sure I like the Buick small block V-8's, mostly due to torque comparisons to the larger Pontiac engines, that and the spare parts stash I have are Mostly of the arrow head type. That being said I did get fantastic service out of a 77 Buick 350 in our old Century Wagon, got the car with 66,000 miles on it, drove it hard mostly for work and in the winter and finally parted it out with 316,000 miles due to rust and front end issues! Only changed tune up and normal wear items, never even had the intake or exhaust manifolds off the engine.
That and I did decide to put a 215 Buick in my 77 Astre Formula, and my 78 Sunbird Safari does have a nice Buick 231 V-6 in it. So I guess I do have a few 77-78 Pontiac's with Buick engines. And only the Astre isn't the original engine.

Hopefully it will like being driven, I sure can't stop anywere and not have a conversation with someone about it!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 10:44 am

Imagine the conversations about having the 455 in it!!!
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 8:36 pm

455s and wagons go together like Texas Mike and pictures.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 6:28 am

cammerjeff wrote:
Hopefully a new dual exhaust system will wake it up some, Still have to check the ignition advance, that may be part of the issue. The bad EGR valve was causing some issues until it was replaced last week.

I agree with you regarding the distributor advance possibly seized,.(slip one spring off for a better advance curve,. Wink )
The old quadrabogs had a secondary lockout lever run by the choke,. it would get gummed up and not let the back barrels open,..do the hill billy cold air mod,.. turn the air cleaner lid upside down, then you will 'hear' if all four barrels are opening,.
Back to top Go down
sswagon

sswagon

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 8:12 am

Well put Stew
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!   Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally Got the 78 Catalina Safari on the road!!!
Page 1 of 1