GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Junk yard pickin'

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Junk yard pickin' Empty
PostSubject: Junk yard pickin'   Junk yard pickin' Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 12:51 am

The junk yard gods smiled on me this weekend. I got some parts from a fresh 96 RMS, and a fresh 93 Caprice wagon showed up. The one exemplary part I got is a wagon gas tank. The preppers at the yard forgot to punch it to drain it, and I just happened to spot it while going for the sender. On top of that, it was 1/2 price weekend at the yard. I would have pulled more parts, but the heat, and sun were brutal. I spent about $150 on some really nice parts. The tank is not for sale. It is my spare. They are too difficult to find, and a PITA to ship. I could not get the tank straps, because the footwell for the tailgunner seat was all bent up, and trapped one of the screws. Next time I go, I may take a BFH to adjust the footwell.
Back to top Go down
just me

Junk yard pickin' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Junk yard pickin'   Junk yard pickin' Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 1:44 pm

The last Roadmaster wagon in the yard here was being held off the ground at the rear by the gas tank. That tank is definitely NOT designed to hold that much weight! The tanks also get punched to drain around here, and the rear seats get bent to heck and back in anything with a trunk to keep someone from being trapped in the trunk.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Junk yard pickin' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Junk yard pickin'   Junk yard pickin' Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 10:23 pm

So gas tanks are a hot commodity? The yard I go to never punches holes in them.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Junk yard pickin' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Junk yard pickin'   Junk yard pickin' Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 8:19 am

Grab one while you can. I have a spare tank for when needed in the garage.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Junk yard pickin' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Junk yard pickin'   Junk yard pickin' Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 9:33 am

95BRMW wrote:
So gas tanks are a hot commodity?  The yard I go to never punches holes in them.

Try to buy one on line...ain't happenin'. They are difficult to get someone to ship as well. You have to make sure they are clean, sealed, and boxed, or the shipper will not take them.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Junk yard pickin' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Junk yard pickin'   Junk yard pickin' Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 11:52 pm

They are hard to come by. Last one I needed cost me 120. Wish I had a spare. I need to start checking when I do go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Junk yard pickin' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Junk yard pickin'   Junk yard pickin' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Junk yard pickin'
Page 1 of 1