GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mess after rebuild

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Was burning oil, new rings and cam replaced ( with same spec)due to bearing issues.
So I have it barely running. Noticed poor fuel pressure, was at 44lbs before rebuild, went to 30 with no changes at adjustable fuel rail. Increased it back to 44 by turning screw on regulator.
Obviously, Ithink I looking at fuel related issues Dropped the tank last weekend, to check tank pressure lines ( no cracks or leaks) with a Walbro 255l/hr pump ( same pump as before as well) New filter las fall, less than 1500 miles on it since then.

Any thoughts as to what is going wrong?

Dave
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 5:16 pm

It misses the side pipes?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 10:58 pm

poor ground for pump,..

filter is plugging up,..

increasing pressure does not improve volume,.

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 11:57 pm

Thanks Nick. I also hads someone mention that maybe some debris is caught in the regulator.
Even though the filter is only a few thousand miles old, I will repalce it per your suggestion.

Plug to pump felt kind of loose, so that could correlate as well. Although you are correct that increased pressure does not increase volume, its a high vol pump in there., so I'll check the other two points.

Hoping to see you both next weekend.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 6:03 am

so what was the problem?

one of the 8 fans not plugged in?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 8:06 am

Crusty wool?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 8:08 am

I'm not really sure yet Nick.
Seems to be fuel related, but it's the same parts as before, same program on the chip, yet I've had to add a tremendous amount of fuel to somewhat cure a lean everywhere problem.  Was barely able to idle and stalls a lot, maxed out on the AFR gauge at 20 until I reprogrammed the chip yesterday, which in retrospect, was spot on last Fall..

My fuel pressure at the rail was down to 32 lbs at key on. I've since adjusted the regulator to 44, but even that seems maxed on the adjustment.

I had to grossly increase the area of programming that handles Acceleration Enrichment for a stalling bog .

So I'm wondering if the diaphragm in the Regulator has a hole in it. It's likely 15-20 years old as it was there when I made the conversion to TPI.

The fuel filter was new last Fall.

I had the tank open last week, wondering about the pump and inner hose. It was OK

I notice the pressure does not hold long after key off. It may be getting past the ball check in the pump, past the diaphragm through a hole, or out a leaking injector., tends to shutter when idling.

Dunno yet.

Dave.

I'm down to three fans by the way, of which only two are working, and I used "WOOL-B-GONE to clean it.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 5:56 pm

if you are adding fuel everywhere,..

you have a vacuum leak,.

where the heads cut? intake rails need to be cut to match,.

intake on right?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Nick, on the original build, several years ago, the heads were cut. Other than a valve job this time, they were not cut again. My son has a Mac Tools smoker out at his shop. The hoses are all new, but I agree that doesn't eliminate a bad seal (or a naughty sheep) somewhere.

We can check for leaks on the intake side, but not till Thursday evening. In the meantime, I'll pull and replace the plugs and check the externals.

Thanks for the input.
Dave
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 5:27 am

i notice the egr valve on the intake,.. is it still functional?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 8:21 am

I've edited this as when Nick asked about EGR I was thinkg PCV

New plugs seemed to help somewhat.. Dosicovered that my son has most ALL my tools 30 miles away from me. So I couild only get to plugs 1 and 2.

Cyl 2 plug was blackened, #1 was light tan.

Last edited by lakeffect on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 10:10 pm

with the cam you have,. the egr would be causing problems,.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 10:23 pm

*** during Wagonfest , Nick was looking at the engine and commenting that the vacuum hose routing looked odd, the EGR was going directly to the plenum with no solenoid controlling it.

After consulting a diagram of the TPI vacuum lines, I discovered the likely source of problem.

I should have taken the EGR line to the solenoid and mis-routed it. So there was a constant uncontrolled draw on the EGR when it should be computer controlled to open under specific conditions. that didn't happen.

My vacuum hoses are also way too soft and collapse in on themselves. Might look pretty, but nothing but cheap crap from Pep Boys.

I'll reroute them tomorrow and see what the results are.

Thanks Nick!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 11:43 pm

with the overlap on that cam./ just leave the egr disconnected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mess after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: mess after rebuild   mess after rebuild Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mess after rebuild
Page 1 of 1