GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cheap and easy mods

Go down 
+2
Andebe
Sherlock128
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Cheap and easy mods Empty
PostSubject: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Hello I am new to this website and new to the wagon scene I just bought my first car a 1995 RMW and I was wondering what are some good cheap and easy mods I can do I already did the first base and home plate delete
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Best advice,read thru the archives. Lots of nuggets of wisdom to be had. Do and donts,etc. Welcome to the forum...
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 6:16 pm

It depends upon where you draw the lines on cheap and easy. On my last three wagons, the first thing I did was replace all 4 shocks with severe service up front and coilovers in the rear. It made a world of difference in handling. Next up might be a rear sway bar.

You won't make over 2 tons of iron move a LOT faster (-0.5 sec, 0-60) for a price I'd consider cheap or with an expenditure of effort that I'd consider easy. You can make it handle better. It should already get to 60 in under 8 seconds. Perhaps a custom tune of the PCM woudl give you +1 mpg and a 0.1 sec or so off your 0-60 time for $150 to $200. You can gear down the differential and it will be a bit quicker off the line for several hundred dollars. However, a new Ford Focus pisspot will still beat it.

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Put those pieces back into your intake if you haven't had the tune adjusted for their removal. It'll screw up your mass airflow sensor readings and won't buy you much performance.

Welcome to the forum. Fill in your location so we know where you're from, and how best to help you.
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 1:51 pm

I saw a couple mods that I would like to try like removing the mechanical fan and some other stuff I figured I wouldn't be able to make it go super fast without spending a ton of money but I thought I could at least make it sound better do you know if those pacesetter Headers will fit on it? Where did you get the shocks from and how can I go about getting the pcm tuned?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Here are Monroe Severe Service fronts for a 1996 Caprice, $38 each with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shock-Absorber-Gas-Magnum-Severe-Service-Front-fits-71-96-Chevrolet-Caprice-/301732265263?fits=Year%3A1996|Make%3AChevrolet|Model%3ACaprice|Submodel%3AClassic|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A5.7L&hash=item4640a4fd2f:g:buMAAOSw~gRVrj~O&vxp=mtr

You can find the Monroe rear coilovers for about $100 a pair, with shipping from multiple seller on eBay.

Any decent independent shop can install both front and rear in less than 2 hrs. I don't know what the Monroe shops are like in your area, but the one near me is staffed by pirates.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 am

Pirates? Wooden legs,parrots,no feces? What a Face
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 10:57 am

They gave me an estimate of $1100 to install four shocks on a Caprice (I was providing Monroe parts purchase at their online store!). If that's not piracy, then perhaps I just need a stronger term. Words fail me at times.

No parrots, or wooden legs, but those guys could teach Bluebeard a thing or two about how to rape, ravage and pillage.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 11:21 am

Time to get the wenches...err wrenches out.

The fronts are really easy, and for the rears get the U-bolts from navy lifer on ISSF (the top bolts are a PITA).
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 12:46 pm

The rear u-bolts make it easier, but honestly it's not that hard to do the rear shocks. I couldn't find my u-bolts last time, so I just reversed the bolt direction. I did the work on a lift so that probably made it substantially easier.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 2:28 pm

"How can I go about getting the pcm tuned?"

There are several options offered here to retune your PCM:

http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 11:55 pm

You're in Florida... you'll get way better cooling in the summer by leaving the mechanical fan setup installed.   That was GM's top of the line cooling system.

PCM tune is a good way to go - the link above is probably about the best you'll get.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and easy mods   Cheap and easy mods Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap and easy mods
Page 1 of 1