GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Overheating

Go down 
+6
Fred Kiehl
Andebe
MalibuSSwagon
Dutch Pete
Swaggerwagon
Sherlock128
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 6:13 pm

So I bought my first car a 1995 Buick RMW and I absolutely love it but sadly it is overheating I have replaced the fan clutch the thermostat the coolant tank (because the old one had some patch work on it) and I bypassed the heating core because it was clogged up all the way to the water pump with rust but it is still overheating it doesn't seem to overheat as fast if I drive it normal (doing the speed limit) but when I dog it it will over heat pretty fast does anyone have any suggestions? My dads friend thinks the timing could be off because it is running to good to be a bad head gasket
Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 9:02 pm

If the heater core and related hoses are that clogged, I would think the radiator would be partially clogged as well. And if the cooling system has been seriously neglected (if?), it's possible that the impeller on the water pump has been eaten away, and it's not pushing the coolant efficiently. If it's running good, and the motor isn't consuming coolant; you can infer that the head gasket& timing is good. And since I'm here making wild speculations,...your dads friend, although well meaning, has probably never worked on them "fancy, fuel-injected cars"
Peace and hairgrease
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 2:00 am

I just replaced my burst radiator (after 22 years) and it sure was clogged. Not only from the outside with dirt but also on the inside. Old and new radiator weight difference was 2 lbs....
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 5:11 am

Well when I was bypassing the heater core I ran a hose through the radiator and it seemed to flow just fine so it could be the water pump?

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img] This is what the heater core lines looked like
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 7:12 am

Wow, animals living in there?
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 8:21 am

Wow and you think the rest of the system is good? Better flush it all.
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 8:43 am

Well I cleaned out all the lines (as far as I know) while I had them off they sounded like I was crushing a bag of chips when I would squeeze them lol
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 10:25 am

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
Wow and you think the rest of the system is good? Better flush it all.
Im with Eric,flush it all,and then maybe flush it all,and then when your done,maybe flush it all. Yikes,man! affraid
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 4:34 pm

Well I replaced the water pump and it is still over heating but it did seem to help some also I took the radiator off and ran the hose through it but I haven't tested it yet
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Check for collapsed hoses. The only ones that would affect cooling are the two front hoses. If they are crunching, they are probably brittle.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 7:34 pm

are the fans working,...?
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 8:11 am

There are no collapsed hoses they were just crunchy because of all that rust that was caked onto the sides and yes the fans work
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 1:36 pm

Looking at the heater hoses, a flush may not clean it up. You may need to replace the radiator, but only after you again remove the water pump. Remove the knock sensors/block drains too, and run a lot of water through the engine to get rid of that mess. Check that coolant pipe that runs along the right side of the intake manifold too, that's probably pretty ugly too.
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 2:44 pm

with all that crap in the hoses (and block) any flush would just trash a new radiator, so 3 or 4 flushes first may be right? Also you might see if leaving the flush in for a few days at a time might be advisable?  In the meantime removing the thermostat might be a good idea if for no reason other than to check it out.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 2:58 pm

Stick with it, and you'll figure it out. The cooling system parts getting plugged up is very common with these engines. Whatever you do, do not drive it until you've figured out the overheating.

It may have been mentioned previously, but have you bled the air out of the cooling system. I know you have flushed changed parts etc. The engine should always be bled of air after breaking into the closed loop.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Well yesterday when I took the radiator off and ran the hose through it I drove it little less then 30 miles round trip and the temperature Guage didn't even reach 1/4 and a few weeks ago I did run a bottle of that prestone flush and left it in for like 3 days and no I didn't bleed it I'm not 100% sure how to do that I know you open up that screw on the thermostat housing
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Sounds like you've got the overheating about licked. You are correct is where you vent. Jack the front of the wagon up, just enough so it's the highest point. Get the wagon up to temperature, then bleed out any air.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overheating
Page 1 of 1