GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transmissions suck!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WagonLover

WagonLover

Transmissions suck! Empty
PostSubject: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:50 am

So i am changing my trans.. just puttin a 700 in place of a 700.. but my whole ordeal is the cross member.. it looks like the cat. converter is in the way.. am i wrong?.. is there anything esle in the way of me takin down this cross memeber?..
Back to top Go down
https://www.photobucket.com/wagonlover
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:17 am

just puttin a 700 in place of a 700.

Definately need to drop the crossmember. If you are thinking of adding true dual exhausts. there are aftermarket crossovers that can be purchased. They are flattened out on both sides to allow passage of the pipes.
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:56 am

no.. not planning on to modify anything.. just want to drive my wagon.. and just cant seem to drop the cross memeber.. seeing if there is anything else i have to rip apart.. looks deffinatly like i have to take the cat. off.. just wondering if anything else..
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:08 pm

Yes, the exhaust has to be disconnected to drop the trans. And, before I get yelled at, I'm sure someone has done it with the exhaust in place... but I'm sure it is easier with the exhaust out of the way.
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:27 pm

thank you.. thats what i was lookin for..
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:50 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Yes, the exhaust has to be disconnected to drop the trans. And, before I get yelled at, I'm sure someone has done it with the exhaust in place... but I'm sure it is easier with the exhaust out of the way.
HEY FOO!! jack the trans up,. rmove the mount,.the cross member needs to rotate in place almost,. then it comes out easy,. lower the trans and motor down (i always remove the dist cap in case there's a bad mtr mount)rip the trans out,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:14 pm

lol, Nick is the guy that set my car on fire when we were removing my cats to get my transmission out. That was a fun night...

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 10:38 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
lol, Nick is the guy that set my car on fire when we were removing my cats to get my transmission out. That was a fun night...

Very Happy

tell the whole story kid,. getting out 6 tiny little rusted out eastern ontario manifold studs,. took plenty of heat,. and a few interesting moments,.but was definitely necessary,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:21 am

For those that haven't heard my all time favourite car story...

I had decided on a T56 swap. Not many had done it yet, and mine would be the first in Canada. I had gathered all the parts, and set the date for the swap. My good friend Nick offered to drive up to assist (take charge). Also on board were Stewart (Murfs Dad on ISSF) and Ian (pigmanSS on ISSF). The swap would be completed at the school shop where I teach.

The night before the swap, I took care of the small stuff. Seats and carpet out, raise the car, drain the trans, etc. The day of the big job arrived, and we got right to work. The cats had to come out to give us space to get the trans out and in (multiple times, of course). Being an Ontario car that had seen a couple of winters, the studs on the manifolds were rusty. The nuts would not come off, despite an impact set on "destroy". So, our fearless project leader Nick tells us to get out of the way, he would handle it. He grabs the oxy/acet torches, and sticks his head up under the car. I kept busy assembling the clutch setup. All of a sudden, I hear "does this shop have an extinguisher?" I look over at the car, and there are flames coming out the bottom, and thick black smoke billowing out the top. All I can think is that not only I am going to lose my car, but I am about to burn down the school shop, and get fired. I scramble around, and grab the big extinguisher and bring it over to Nick (Nick is just standing there, googles on, torch still burning, like nothing is wrong). Nick looks at it, and says "kid, that one's too big. It'll make a mess." Find something smaller or some water." At this point, I want to die. Completely frantic, I put down the extinguisher, and search for something else. I find the shop water hose, turn it on, and bring it to Nick. He calmly douses the flames, takes a look, and says all is fine. Then, he goes back to work on the studs with the torch. I decide it is a good time for a parts run/lunch/get myself together.

The rest of the swap went well. Took about 16 hours. We rolled Canada's first 6 speed B body out of the garage at around 1 in the morning. Nick took the honours of the the first test drive, and broke in the clutch with a nice burnout. Upon returning, he told me that there was a problem. His knuckles were sore from the ashtray slamming into them because it accelerated so hard.

So, if you set your firewall insulation on fire, don't panic. It will smoke like crazy, but you have lots of time to put it out before there is damage. Oh, if you happen to be working on a car, and Nick offers help, take him up on his offer. He's probably forgotten more about cars than I will ever know. I couldn't have done it without him.

Transmissions suck! 6sspeed
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 8:41 pm

HAHA!! faaak i almost forgot all that,. i noticed you left out the part where when you returned from getting food, stew and i completly depressed you and you were ready for hari kari,. we told you it was the wrong clutch or something,. or we'd dropped it,.and it was broke,.
to see a 7foot giant just shrink before your eyes because he was sooo dejected,.was kinda funny but cruel,. (just exactly what i like outta life) then the sheer relief on his face when we told him it was already in,.and bolted up,.

F2B2 for the mtfw,. not that goddam dopey other clutch pedal abortion that took up so many friggin hours,..AAArgh,.
still have the scar, from the damn sawzall jamming,.
was fun powershifting the first 4 gears and holding the 4th gear burnout.. (on the frosty parking lot)
then the 285-40's on the way home thru 10 inches of snow driving 7hrs on closed roads etc,.
*sigh* was a great adventure,.

(tee hee)

Nick
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 9:04 pm

lol, that was so funny. After the parts run, I come back in, and the clutch is bolted up. Nick looks at me, and says, "the trans is no good, we dropped it and broke the case". I just about crapped myself. After he let me sulk for a moment, he got that goofy Nick grin that we all know...

And, yes, my car still has the Nick blood stain on the floor pan from the slice he took out of his finger when chiseling (that's right) the hole for the shifter. If you look closely, you can see he has the Canadian first aid kit on his finger...

Transmissions suck! HPIM1984
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 9:57 am

Transmissions suck! CIMG4059 "new" one

Transmissions suck! CIMG4060

Transmissions suck! CIMG4061

Transmissions suck! CIMG4062

Transmissions suck! CIMG4063 old one

Transmissions suck! CIMG4064

i took some pictures of the job.. my buddy let me use his trans jack which HELPED BIG TIME!..
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 9:30 am

Hey fella's.. if you dont mind cant you troubleshoot me with me.. i dont kno much about transmissions.. i have this leak.. i belive its comming from the vent.. now i belive the only way it come out the vent is if its overfilled.. here's the story.. i put the transmission in.. went for a test drive everything was fine.. had a little slippage.. so i checked the TV cable adjusted that.. worked out a bit better.. park the car for the night.. go outside the next day and there is a puddle of trans fluid.. changed the filter and gasket.. i kno that probably wouldnt be the reason but i still wanted to change it to be safe.. put trans fluid in.. ran it.. runs fine.. no sliipage.. now last night i go to my buddy house park the car for a couple of hours.. went to a bike show came back and started up the wagon and checked the fluid.. a bit low so we added what i had in the wagon which was a quart.. still looked low but no leakage cuz i pulled away and checked if there was any evidence.. nothing but a little bit of engine oil.. so i head home.. now there is two mayjor hill on the way home.. the first hill was pretty steep.. i hit the trottle and it down shifts and goes.. as its in 3rd its goes into 4th and rev's like crazy.. then down shifts as i go over the hill.. head up the next hill.. everything is peachy.. shifts fine up the hill.. get to my house park it.. this morning i go outside.. even bigger puddle on the road.. sooooooo im thinkin its comming from the vent cuz thats where the fluid looks like its commin out of cuz the cooler lines r deffinatly tight.. any idea's fella's?..
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 2:00 pm

so i found it.. it was the grommit missin between the T.V cable and the trans..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmissions suck!   Transmissions suck! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transmissions suck!
Page 1 of 1