GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari

Go down 
+20
dmg4
bigredwagon
Dutch Pete
jayoldschool
81X11
DBeaSSt
MalibuSSwagon
YachtDriver
TheRoadmasterKing
brokecello
stewzer55
Big Wagon Guy
BigBlackBeaSSt
MacMasterMike
Wagoninabox
silverfox103
Mark 96 Roady
Sprocket
Andebe
Lynol
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lynol

Lynol

A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 10:49 am

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
That interior is beautiful! I always laugh when I see an older car with the goofy option selections. Like on your car-power seat and windows, yet no tilt and a manual tail gate! At least you have the most important option (in my opinion) factory A/C so you can enjoy your new car in the summer.
Yeah, and no power locks either. And wouldn't you rather have the power tailgate and not the power seat? I would think the power gate would get more use. I can do without the tilt-wheel and the cruise control, but I tell you what, intermittent wipers sure would have been nice. But hey -it's got that optional secondary ash tray!
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 1:51 pm

All that vinyl, and no AC would have been most uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 2:07 pm

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
Oh I see you have the "Radial Tuned Suspension" Very Happy But no gauges Sad
Yeah, no gauges. My '75 LeSabre is the same way. Who needs to be bothered with the advanced warning of a climbing/sinking gauge? Everything's A-OK until one of those idiot lights goes on to tell you you're totally screwed. Hey, why not just replace the whole IP with this:
A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Buickgages

Oh, and yes, my car has the Radial Tuned Suspension. You saw my giant dash plaque, eh?

I think this feature may have been standard on the big Ponchos in '76, but the '75 brochure lays out exactly what the RTS option package is:
A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Rts
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 2:09 pm

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
All that vinyl, and no AC would have been most uncomfortable.
Surely. My Mom had a '69 Nova with no AC and a black vinyl interior. It was almost dangerous in the summer!
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 2:51 pm

So this is why the radio sounds like a kazoo and/or bee hive...
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 2:53 pm

Lynol wrote:
So this is why the radio sounds like a kazoo and/or bee hive...
Wow, that speaker is in horrible shape! I'm surprised that made any sound at all!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 8:10 am

Congrats on the find! Great looking wagon. First car I ever drove was my Mom's '76 Grand Safari. Wish I has been able to keep it when she sold it off for a *shudder* minivan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 12:25 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
Congrats on the find!  Great looking wagon.  First car I ever drove was my Mom's '76 Grand Safari.  Wish I has been able to keep it when she sold it off for a *shudder* minivan.
Boy that must have been an intimidating car for a new driver! Have any pics of it?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 9:31 pm

Lynol wrote:
DBeaSSt wrote:
Congrats on the find!  Great looking wagon.  First car I ever drove was my Mom's '76 Grand Safari.  Wish I has been able to keep it when she sold it off for a *shudder* minivan.
Boy that must have been an intimidating car for a new driver! Have any pics of it?

Had to dig to find this one. Picture of a picture but it's the only one I have handy. I called it fried chicken brown. Very Happy
https://2img.net/h/i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/dbeasst/Misc/grandsafari2.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 8:30 am

DBeaSSt wrote:
Lynol wrote:
DBeaSSt wrote:

Had to dig to find this one.  Picture of a picture but it's the only one I have handy.  I called it fried chicken brown. Very Happy
https://2img.net/h/i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/dbeasst/Misc/grandsafari2.jpg
Nice. That's an accurate color description. That was a non-woody, right? Or is it just blending in in the far away pic?
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 12:21 pm

So I went about replacing the snapped U-bolts, and discovered that two leaves in this passenger's side spring are snapped! Looking at the point where they broke, I'd say they've been snapped for years. I've looked around online, having a hard time finding this cars exact springs (the heavy duty 7-leaf, 1,440 lb ones). I found one company that can make me one from original specs for $265 plus approximately $50 shipping but it will take a few weeks. I called another company that has one (just one!) in stock for $149 plus approx. $40 to ship. I think I may buy that one in-stock spring, so I can get this car back together and drivable soon, then deal with replacing the other side's spring after. I suspect the other side's spring is also going to have snapped leaves because of the one snapped U-bolt on that side as well, but for now, it's holding together. I don't know if it's just age that caused this, or if this car was grossly overloaded at some point. When I get home I still have to remove the very top leaf, it's stuck in the axle perch. Got the eye-bolts out no prob, but this one last leaf is being a PITA.

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 1:18 pm

Lynol

Any spring shop, which there should be plenty in NJ, should be able to duplicate those springs.  The one for $149 might be hard to beat price wise.

Tom

Last edited by silverfox103 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 3:11 pm

Did it ride weird with the broken springs?
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
Did it ride weird with the broken springs?
Surprisingly, no.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 12:40 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Lynol

Any spring shop, which there should be plenty in NJ, should be able to duplicate those springs.  The one for $149 might be hard to beat price wise.

Tom

I called a bunch of spring shops here in NJ. Most laughed at my request, and the ones that could possibly make them, said that they could not come even close to the $265 price I had got to have them made up by a place out in PA (which would have to be shipped).

Did find two junkyards in Massachusetts. That have brand new old stock sets of springs; First place has, for $125 each shipped, two of the 7-leaf springs, but has no idea if they are the 1,440 lb, 6-1/4" arch height ones that my car needs, or the 7-leaf, 1,190, lb. 5" arch height ones the older clamshells used. The other junkyard has a new set of 9-leaf standard capacity (1,290 lb) springs my car could have come with (I guess it's got a trailering package or something) for the low, low price of $65 each. And that place is pick up only, which I could do. After all, I would be saving a lot of money.

Decisions, decisions....
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 1:56 pm

I really like your new toy. Needs Pontiac Rally II wheels!!

Keep the updates coming!
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Andebe wrote:
http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/super_slide_springs/ Super slide,for a better ride...
Hmmm.... they're in PA, so reasonable close. I may give them a call. I found a few other places in eastern PA (besides Stengel Bros. which was the $265 price I mentioned before).

I also got a call back from one local spring shop. They can't get the springs I need, but suggested I bring the broken spring to them to have a look at; I described the damage (snapped leaves, rusted to hell center bolt), and they say they could probably repair it. Never thought of that before.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 4:02 pm

81X11 wrote:
I really like your new toy.   Needs Pontiac Rally II wheels!!    

Keep the updates coming!
Body-color matched Rally II's were optional!
A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 18
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 4:18 pm

I vote Rallye or Honeycombs!!!!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Those snowflakes wouldn't fit... but they did do 15x7 5x5 flakes from 78-81!
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 11:09 pm

Rally IIs would look really good here, but I really think cleaned, painted and polished the stock wheel covers would look really good on blackwalls .
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 1:34 pm

Wow, broken springs, never actually seen that...
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Dutch Pete wrote:
Wow, broken springs, never actually seen that...
Well, if you like that, you'll love this; Check out the driver's side -5 snapped leaves!
Back to top Go down
bigredwagon

bigredwagon

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 8:58 pm

There must have been some big kids in the trunk to break those springs.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 9:11 pm

Lynol wrote:
silverfox103 wrote:
Lynol

Tom

I called a bunch of spring shops here in NJ. Most laughed at my request, and the ones that could possibly make them, said that they could not come even close to the $265 price I had got to have them made up by a place out in PA (which would have to be shipped).

Did find two junkyards in Massachusetts. That have brand new old stock sets of springs; First place has, for $125 each shipped, two of the 7-leaf springs, but has no idea if they are the 1,440 lb, 6-1/4" arch height ones that my car needs, or the 7-leaf, 1,190, lb. 5" arch height ones the older clamshells used. The other junkyard has a new set of 9-leaf standard capacity (1,290 lb) springs my car could have come with (I guess it's got a trailering package or something) for the low, low price of $65 each. And that place is pick up only, which I could do. After all, I would be saving a lot of money.

Decisions, decisions....

So I called a few more spring shops, and here's what I found (that's worth mentioning!):
No one else can get this car's exact spring (the 1,440lb one) except the one place in Mass that only has ONE in stock for $145, and that place in PA that wants $265 to make one. However, a couple shops can get some others that fit and are at or better than the standard 1,290lb spring rating.

-Espo Springs out in PA can get me a 1,340lb 8-leaf for about $200 each, shipped (they have them in stock, bit of a drive, but I could pick it up, save $70)
-ATS Springs, also in PA, can get me a 1,290lb for $225 each, shipped (or I could pick it up, save $70; they're not far)
And lastly, a local spring shop here said they could probably repair it, so I brought the first one in. They estimated $150 for that one with the 2 broken leaves. I didn't know the other side had FIVE broken leaves, so that one would likely run a bit more. I'm not thinking repairing them is such a good idea, or cost effective.

So I'm thinking the 1,440lb ones are not worth the trouble and cost. I think I'm leaning towards the the NOS $65 ea. ones up in Mass. Just too bad they don't ship! Although, from my Dad's house in northern CT, it's only an hour and half drive. I am due for a weekend up there, I reckon.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 7:17 am

I love the simplicity and clearly labelled switches and knobs. Even when they resort to iconography, you get a picture of a Zippo lighter and flame!

I got into a 2016 rental car and was a full week om the learning curve trying to start it, turn on headlights, tune the radio, and in general control the car's features (most of which were annoying) and not crash it. Dumbass useless technology.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 7:58 am

Lynol wrote:
So I called a few more spring shops, and here's what I found (that's worth mentioning!):
No one else can get this car's exact spring (the 1,440lb one) except the one place in Mass that only has ONE in stock for $145, and that place in PA that wants $265 to make one. However, a couple shops can get some others that fit and are at or better than the standard 1,290lb spring rating.

-Espo Springs out in PA can get me a 1,340lb 8-leaf for about $200 each, shipped (they have them in stock, bit of a drive, but I could pick it up, save $70)
-ATS Springs, also in PA, can get me a 1,290lb for $225 each, shipped (or I could pick it up, save $70; they're not far)
And lastly, a local spring shop here said they could probably repair it, so I brought the first one in. They estimated $150 for that one with the 2 broken leaves. I didn't know the other side had FIVE broken leaves, so that one would likely run a bit more. I'm not thinking repairing them is such a good idea, or cost effective.

So I'm thinking the 1,440lb ones are not worth the trouble and cost. I think I'm leaning towards the the NOS $65 ea. ones up in Mass. Just too bad they don't ship! Although, from my Dad's house in northern CT, it's only an hour and half drive. I am due for a weekend up there, I reckon.

Don't overthink this. Buy the $65.00 springs and move on.

For how the car is going to be used going forward, the standard springs will likely be more than sufficient for all situations.

If you really do intend to load the vehicle up, then there are other overload options that don't force you to live with a heavy spring pack everyday.

The loose / missing U-bolts are the most likely cause of your broken springs, but the truck guys often said that running leaf springs unloaded is when they will break.

In that the car is empty most of the time, it would imply installing a heavier spring might not beneficial as one would first expect.

Something to think about,

- J

Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 10:37 am

I would think a heavier spring would also make the ride stiffer? The $65 spring sounds like the plan. I would imagine new shocks would be in order too. Are you sure you don't want to bring it to Florida wagonfest?? Smile
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 11:03 am

I just watched both of your videos. That is a sweet car!
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 12:00 pm

Ugh... I just called the place with the $65 NOS springs. I asked if they had bushings in them, so I could order them from a spring shop today if needed. He said he'd have to check. He called me back; him and he guys looked all over no one can find them!! I told him to call me if they show up, but he thinks they're gone.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 3:54 pm

I called back the other junkyard in Mass. with the NOS 7-leaf springs and asked them to measure the arch to make sure it wasn't the '71 to '73 springs or the commercial chassis springs. Good news, they're the exact ones I have now. So, for $100 each, I'm going to go with those. Going up to Pepperell, MA tomorrow to get them, because I don't want to wait for them to be shipped. I want to get this car on the road again! Gas prices are going up, and this car gets 7 mpg.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Thats a bit of a trip. 7 MPG, and I'd thought my 454 Suburban would be bad...
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 9:39 pm

454 Suburban should be like 12. I'd expect the Grand Safari to be the same.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 10:22 am

7mpg...with the wind at your back. pirat
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 11:03 am

stewzer55 wrote:
454 Suburban should be like 12.  I'd expect the Grand Safari to be the same.
The DOE's 1976 Gas Mileage Guide rated it at 12 city 16 highway, but I'm not getting that...
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Maybe a tuneup is in order then?
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 9:51 pm

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
Maybe a tuneup is in order then?
Yes, actually, I just did that Friday. Everything I replaced was 20 years old or so. Haven't driven it yet on account of the missing rear springs, lol. I got one side done tonight though, hopefully finish tomorrow. Hey I just realized today is the first day of spring, and for me it was also the first day of spring installation... ha ha ha!
I crack myself up, I really do.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 1:36 am

keep the main leaf,. install two firestone airbags,. it'll ride nice and carry what ever you can pack in there,.

fix the stuck power piston in the quadrabog,. fuel mileage will get,... better.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 3:46 pm

Decent pricing...http://www.quadrajetcarburetors.com/
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 2:51 pm

Oh man, Nick, that's a good suggestion, but too late 'cause I bought the springs on Saturday.

The second day of spring installation, which very appropriately occurred on the second day of spring, was a success. Took the car to work today, it rides nice now (I also replaced all shocks). Here's one of the springs.

and here she is sitting nice and level, and at what appears to be the correct ride height.

Glad I got this done before my vacation, but more importantly before gas went back above $2 /gal. Just filled up last night for $1.59
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 1:20 am

It's too bad you appear to have rust in the rear wheel wells. That's not going to be cheap to fix properly. Still a really cool car though!
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Went to the DMV today for an emissions test. I was not expecting things to go well, what with the original catalytic converter, and the carburetor probably in need of a rebuild, but much to my surprise, this thing passed! As soon as I drove in, a whole bunch of inspectors came over to ask me about the car and started reminiscing about old wagons they or their family had. Funny thing is, they tell me that after May 1st, they won't be doing emissions tests on non-OBD-II vehicles anymore, so '95 and older are off the hook for life. Once your current inspection runs out, they'll be mailing you a paper to keep in the vehicle to show to cops that you're exempt.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 10:50 am

your fuel mileage will improve like crazy if you put on a set on dual exhaust, with some high flow cats (so you can pass visual inspection?)

block off the heat riser passages in the heads and look around for an old edelbrock performer intake,
and then tweak your quadrajet, or get an edelbrock carb (if you can find one a carter 1000cfm thermoquad would work the best )
and put the lighter advance springs in the hei,.along with a stronger coil,.

you'll love the poer,. and be much happier with the fuel mileage,.

Lastly if you are motivated,. pull that gawd awful smog cam out and add a high torque low rpm cam,.

then you'll need a shift kit,. a posi,. some 3.55's,.
does it ever end? What a Face
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2016 10:41 pm

I finally got some new rubber on the wagon. Those old tires were 25 years old! First though, take a look at my spare:

The brand will give you an idea how old were talking. When was the last time Sears had store-brand tires????

Anyway... I knew I wanted needed a whitewall, I knew I needed 235/75R15 but I hemmed and hawed over what brand to get. There's still a few whitewalls in that size, and I was about to go with the Hankook Optimo H724's, but in the end I felt I'd rather not go with a Chinese tire if I can avoid it. (although when it's 225/75 whitewalls I only have Chinese tires to choose from) I looked at the Mastercraft AS-IV, which I've had many of and liked, but then found the Cooper Trendsetter SE (which I have also had) was like $10 less for some reason. Cooper makes Mastercraft, and they look identical to the Coopers, so I went with those. Oh, and turns out these Cooper's are made in Mexico. I dunno if that's better than China, but I would have to assume so. I was able to get the best deal online from tires-easy.com (they've got the best S&H prices too), which meant no sales tax, so these actually cost $10 less for 4 than the Hankooks. I got all four shipped for $312, and installation and disposal at my local tire shop cost $107 with tax, so that makes for a grand total of $419 all said and done. Not too bad. I could have saved about $20-$25 if I had Wal Mart install the tires (they now officially install tires you bring in from elsewhere) however, the dealings I've had with the auto center before didn't give me the impression they knew anything about tires (they were trying to sell me all-terrian tires for this car), and they take forever to do anything, so for a little more I can be sure it's done right and done fast (whole thing took 20 minutes).

Back to top Go down
Dropkick_Eddie

Dropkick_Eddie

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2016 9:23 am

Awesome Wagon Lynol! That things a Brute! Smile
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 10:56 am

Got a Delco ETR AM/FM 8-track, CB radio from a '79 Caddy. Got it from a junkyard up in Massachusetts for $35. Bench tested it and it worked fine, just needed a little cleaning of the capstan to get the tape to play at the right speed (build up causes the tape to be moved too quickly). I got it a while ago but found out that the 1979 Delco ETR stereos use a one year only set of knobs -one kbow and TWO rings on each side, and all are specific 1979 only shaft sizes! When I pulled the radio, someone had already removed the dash bezel, and the knobs were on the floor, but the rings were no where in sight. Thinking they were standard size, I didn't bother searching for them. So... I waited until the next time I was going to be heading up that way (765 mile round trip last weekend to NH in this car!) and sure enough found them under the seat of that Caddy.

My car must have come with an AM radio before someone put in the Audiovox POS that was in there, so it only has the one speaker. I had to get a 4x10 to two 3.5" speakers adapter, and some new low wattage speakers.

I got the mic mount from the Caddy too, but I have to paint it to match, so I just got this clip-on hook for now.

Now I can have the aggravation and hassles of 8-track tapes while I drive!

And I even found a very '70s case for it that goes nicely in my car.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 11:33 am

Have you bought a leisure suit yet?
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 10:10 am

Where did you find any 8 track tapes?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 10:17 am

Goodwill is great for 8-tracks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari   A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Clamshell cometh... '76 Pontiac Grand Safari
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next