GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Back to Black / Jet Black

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Back to Black / Jet Black  Empty
PostSubject: Back to Black / Jet Black    Back to Black / Jet Black  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 10:24 pm

I got the roof of the caprice painted, so the rack and rails were off. The roof is nice now, so the faded black rack/roof really stands out. I want to give them a coat or 2 of Turtle Wax Jet Black.

Has anyone had used this or a similar product ?

I "prepped" the surfaces per the directions by cleaning them with "simple 9" type degreaser. I noticed the trim rubber trim around the window, door handles, "dots" on the hatch and the rear wiper "base" could all use a little touch.

Finally, my mirrors are pretty faded too. It seems like they are a generic black plastic, not painted body colour. Is it a good idea to use the Jet Black on them ?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Back to Black / Jet Black    Back to Black / Jet Black  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 10:56 pm

I'd use Meguiar's Ultimate Black. I'm just partial to their stuff.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Back to Black / Jet Black    Back to Black / Jet Black  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 11:45 pm

Fair enough. Even on the mirrors ?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Back to Black / Jet Black    Back to Black / Jet Black  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Paint the mirrors Wink
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Back to Black / Jet Black    Back to Black / Jet Black  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 12:09 am

I used Turtle Wax Jet Black. Overall I'm pretty pleased considering I bought it on liquidation at a national chain for just a few bucks. The box contains the product itself (a liquid), a pair of gloves and a sponge.

You need to degrease the surface being treated with simple green or equivalent. Then you give 3 or more light coats of the product at 10 min intervals. I did the roof racks, rails, part around door handles, mirrors, trim around the windows, tailgate glass handle, tailgate trim around the button/keyhole, the part at the back of the roof that connects the racks and holds the wiper, and windshield molding.

All those were pretty much faded grey on my car. It all looks black and shiny now. I think the product works much better on textured surfaces such as the tailgate handle and the part around the door handles. The smoother parts such as the rack and mirrors look a lot better than they did, but if you get really close you can see application marks.

It's easy to apply, and it looks much better than it did before. I suspect some of the guys obsessed with detailing would do a better job than I did.

We'll see how it it holds up to the weather. So far, it gets a B+.

Sorry I didn't think of doing before/after shots.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Back to Black / Jet Black    Back to Black / Jet Black  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 10:01 pm

This is what I use on my clients cars:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R244NGE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00R244HCE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=15PMFSBFQASGGRN1GE93

I have had it on my front bumper since the day before Thanksgiving (US) and it is JUST now starting to fade off in spots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back to Black / Jet Black    Back to Black / Jet Black  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back to Black / Jet Black
Page 1 of 1