GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Green Wall Tires

Go down 
+10
Sprocket
Cadet57
jayoldschool
81X11
Andebe
Lynol
Deadmanonduty
just me
phantom 309
convert2diesel
14 posters
AuthorMessage
convert2diesel

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 10:44 pm

Okay, I'm stumped. Just before Christmas, I purchased a new set of tires for my RV and stored them in the garage till just before leaving on holiday. Upon installing them, we tried to get the green protection off the whitewalls. No luck. Thought it would be different to have whitewalls on an RV. Green walls are a little over the top. Certainly got some looks on the way down to South Carolina.

Have tried a bunch of non-aggressive stuff (dish liquid, RV shampoo, tire cleaner etc.). What do the tire places use to wash this stuff off? Little hesitant to use anything more aggressive for fear I'll bleach out whatever protectant they use for the sidewalls. Anyone in the Biz or any ideas?

Bill
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 10:57 pm

they don't use protectant for the sidewalls,.

Comet works really good with a stiff scrub brush,.
Back to top Go down
just me

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 11:39 pm

Try scrubbing with very hot water.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 7:55 am

Ya, hot water Its a waxy coating sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 8:53 am

I've never seen any kind of green protectant on a whitewall or white letter tire, usually it's a bright blue waxy substance. I usually use Westley's Bleeche-Wite, comes right off. Although, now I've heard since Black Magic bought Bleech-Wite, the product is not as good. I bought gallon jugs years ago that I still use, so I cannot attest to the claims of the new one sucking.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 8:59 am

phantom 309 wrote:
they don't use protectant for the sidewalls,.

Comet works really good with a stiff scrub brush,.

Never thought of Comet.  Good idea.  Tried the hot water and Dove but it just laughed at me.  Tire came from Vietnam (Kumo ) so who knows what they used and how long it was on the tire.  The green survived three major rain storms and 4,000 plus miles.  If it is a wax, maybe I just didn't get the water hot enough.

When they formulate the mix for tires, they include a UV protectant that slowly migrates out with age.  One of the reasons you are supposed to change out tires every 5 years and why old tires tend to dry out and crack.  Solvents tend to bring this protectant to the surface.  Just trying to be careful.  At $150/each, would like to keep these tires for a while.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 10:06 am

Flip them over,apply ArmorAll,problem solved. Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 10:09 am

Ajax with Bleach and a scrub brush. Will fix you right up!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 6:52 pm

If you care about the whitewalls staying nice for a long time, don't use anything abrasive. That means no Comet, no SOS pads. Both will make scratches in the rubber that will collect dirt. I use Westley's Bleche-Wite (the old stuff), and a pressure washer. You know what my whitewalls look like.

These were on the Black Caddy. Remember?

Before:
Green Wall Tires DSC_0114_zpsd2018069
After:
Green Wall Tires DSC_0115_zps4b825c08

Green Wall Tires DSC_0116_zpsb73b9dd3

Find the strongest non-abrasive cleaner you can, and use a pressure washer. Have you tried brake cleaner? Might wipe right off with a rag...
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 7:58 pm

Black Magic bought out Westleys and changed the formula. I've yet to find anymore NOS Westleys and it's killing me. The "new and improved" Bleche White sucks out loud. A quick google says some of the "old school" hot rod guys are using Bar Keepers Friend powder+and sponge. I bought a jar but haven't experimented yet.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 7:45 am

damn it! Westleys was the best!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 11:00 am

Like Nick, my dad used comet and a scrub brush..I do understand about the scratches, but the brake dust up front seems to be worse...

I too have an old bottle of Westlley's that works great...guess I'll have to figure something out when that's gone... Sad
Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 7:19 pm

It's been 17 years since I quit Sears Auto, but we had a garden hose plumbed directly to a hot water heater....it would take a second, but it would lift off that wax completely. Perhaps try a coin-op car wash?
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Spray Nine and hot water...if that does not take it off your going to have to use something abrasive. Personally comet and 3000 steel wool or a still brush have always worked well.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 9:54 pm

Some guys pay extra for the Greenwalls.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 10:20 pm

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
Some guys pay extra for the Greenwalls.

They're starting to grow on me. Been lousy weather but will give the suggestions a try next week when it warms up a bit.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2016 1:53 am

turn 'em inside out
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2016 10:48 am

Bert Slater wrote:
turn 'em inside out

I think they'd be almost impossible to re-inflate then,.. and would wear pretty quick,.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Green Wall Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Wall Tires   Green Wall Tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Green Wall Tires
Page 1 of 1