GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Power rack and pinion steering

Go down 
+5
paart
Fred Kiehl
JaySS
Rev Bob
lamune
9 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

Power rack and pinion steering Empty
PostSubject: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 11:53 pm

I noticed in the 1995 dealer book that it lists variable-assist power rack and pinion steering as an option for the Roadmaster. I must not have gotten that option. Smile

Although one of my friends pointed out that the Crown Vic does actually have rack and pinion steering, and was wondering if it was possible to swap that into a B-body since they're basically the same type of car. I figure Nick or Fred or at least one of you guys may be able to answer that hypothetical question.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 6:14 am

Did you miss the supercharger option as well?

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php

Search for your year............
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 7:57 am

lamune wrote:
Although one of my friends pointed out that the Crown Vic does actually have rack and pinion steering, and was wondering if it was possible to swap that into a B-body since they're basically the same type of car.

The best bet is to take it all and move the assembly to the B-body frame:

http://www.fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47610&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

- J

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 8:31 am

The issue with any rack an pinion steering unit is the distance between the inner pivots for the tierods. The B-body needs the pivots to be approximately 18 1/4 inches between the centerline of the inner tierod pivots. Then you have to mount the rack so that the centerline of the pivots line up with a line drawn through the centerline of the lower arm bushings. If these do not correspond you will have bump steer. The only rack and pinion I know of that will fit the dimensions is made by Sweet Manufacturing https://sweetmfg.biz/home.php?cat=22. They are a bit pricey, and you must make a custom bracket to attach it to the frame. A piece of square tubing with 1/8 inch wall might be an easy installation, depending on the dimensions of the tubing available. A couple of different thickness sheets of steel could be used as shims for correct alignment. Tierods should be the same length as the OEM, because the pivots will be at the same place, although I do not know if the OEM ones will bolt directly to the Sweet Mfg, rack. Setting toe would be the same as the OEM procedure. You also need to make a custom steering shaft, with universal joints, to connect the rack to the column.

The Ford front suspension unit is nice, but if you remove the engine cradle to allow for installation of the unit, you will have a difficult time mounting the engine, and the rear lower arm attachment points must be extremely accurate in their placement on the frame to avoid steering issues.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 11:54 pm

Interesting. The thread was helpful Jay to see what that assembly looks like. Doesn't seem like it'd be a practical thing. Fred, you know anyone who put one of those Sweet racks in a Roadmaster? Just curious really, I have no intention of doing so myself.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 8:04 am

I do not know of anyone who has installed one. I have thought about it, but I do not have the funds to. If anyone wants to contribute to a project fund, I would be willing to figure out what is necessary to make a mount.
Back to top Go down
paart

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 9:44 am

Rev Bob wrote:
Did you miss the supercharger option as well?

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php

Search for your year............

Thanks for that link! What a wealth of information!
I guess with that much data, it's reasonable to expect some errors here and there.

....nevertheless, the next time I check the oil, I'm going to look around to see if my LT1 just might have an Eaton blower sitting on top, that I've never noticed before! cyclops
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 10:03 am

In the wide world of automotive parts, is that 935 dollar rack really the only option that would fit our cars?? Seems there would be a far cheaper off the shelf OEM option if one took the time and effort to research.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 10:20 am

If it takes 60 hours (at $15 per hour) to find one that fits, you have spent $900 of your time. looking for the part (If your time is worth more than $15 per hour, it is even more expensive). I think that even 60 hours would not get you the results you are looking for. On top of that, you would still have to buy the rack you found. Put the 60 hours into a job, you can buy the rack, and it is a sure thing.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 12:15 pm

Just ruminating, but if one were to go through this much trouble, shouldn't you try to start with a GM electric rack and sidestep the pump adaptation?
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 1:32 pm

But that's not even my main concern. What's parts availability like on those? Say I'm roadtripping some where and it breaks. Can I go to Autozone and get parts? Or a whole thing?

Finding one is the easy part. Spend a couple hours at a well stocked junkyard with a tape measure. Or research specs. That's not even the time consuming part either. Making a bracket and adapting it to the car, figuring out a tie rod end situation, etc etc etc. Going by your model, $900 would buy me a complete bolt in rack and pinion setup for my C10 pickup, using a readily available 2000 Silverado rack. Sure it's more popular vehicle. But my point is to spend $900 on a rack, then still have to engineer a solution to mount it in the car and be durable (wouldn't want to lose steering control) and mail order parts availability...its a bit nuts.

And honestly, there are many improvements that can be done to improve the existing steering systems that are tried and tested, without taking chances on paper napkin engineering. U joint steering shafts, 500 series box, improved alignment specs. If there was an easy way to get 6-7 degrees of caster on this frame that would be the hot ticket to improved stability, but that's just me throwing out thoughts. In all likelyhood thats what GM was referring too when saying "rack and pinion steering" as the improved box was installed, but I have no proof of that.

My time is worth a little more than that, but that's assuming I get unlimited overtime, and/or not salary..I'm not a mechanic I don't work flatrate so it's worth my time to research and not blow money on parts that don't work for me.
Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 8:20 pm

139 mph top speed? Theoretical indeed
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 10:00 pm

Swaggerwagon wrote:

thats funny,..
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 2:37 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Swaggerwagon wrote:

thats funny,..

Funny.... Why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power rack and pinion steering   Power rack and pinion steering Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power rack and pinion steering
Page 1 of 1