GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First introduction, reluctant circumstances....

Go down 
+3
Andebe
dmg4
Funkwagon455
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Funkwagon455

First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Empty
PostSubject: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 10:29 pm

Hello all, I have been a GM wagon owner since my first at 21 years. I acquired my second (a 1970 Olds Cutlass Cruiser with 455) in '99 currently finishing a rotisserie restoration. My third was my current daily driver for the last thirteen years, a '92 Olds Custom Cruiser in dark blue with blue leather that started with 50,000 miles. The car currently has about 277,000 miles on the original Amsoil fed 5.7 and transmission. Following the holiday I went to drive to work on Monday and was hit hard in the right rear quarter by a vehicle entering from an on ramp. The vehicle spun around and slid sideways on the wet road until it hit a concrete guard rail in the front.... Thankfully, although I am bruised, the car took the majority of the damage. The frame rails are bent, and the quarter is pushed in hard enough to distort the window frame. Emotionally I have been very upset because it was a great car, and will miss it very much. I will be on the search for another low mileage Buick or Olds B body wagon when the insurance paperwork settles. Thanks for having me and I look forward to sharing and hearing other wagon owner's experiences.First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Image11
First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Image12
First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Image10
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2016 5:32 am

Ouch! Count yourself lucky that you weren't in a Fiat "Squish". As much as it hurts to lose a car like that one, it's just stuff in the end, and it can be replaced. No so with a life. Don't jump too fast at the first offer from the insurance companies, and refer them to the selling prices for these cars on eBay lately if they try to lowball you.

Welcome now to the ranks of organ donors for these wagons. Your ride may yet live on as dispersed bits and pieces among the already circling buzzards here!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2016 10:26 am

Welcome. Many OCC owners here,sorry to see yours "retired." Happy hunting for the new ride.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2016 3:44 pm

These pictures are hard to see my '92 is the same color combination. I love the '50s Rocket 88 emblem, Welcome!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Ouch...that sad and sickening.... The Cruisers are still out there, and it would be cool, if you find another one, to save that as a parts car, so pieces could live on with you.

Good Luck!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Funkwagon455

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 11:42 pm

....And here is the rest of the story..  I've spent the last year stripping this car of useful parts for my Roadmaster wagon and selling the Olds specific things.  Last Saturday I loaded the skeleton onto a trailer and took it to a metal recycler. As you can see in the first two photos, my two sons and neighborhood kids had a blast beating the remnants into submission. In the crushed pile photo, it is the fourth from the bottom.  Even after stripping all doors/tailgate, entire driveline, and interior it still weighed slightly less than one ton.  It yielded me $71.51 which I spent most of on a spare set of taillights for the Buick.  Although the car is gone, it will continue to serve us in supporting our Buick B Body wagon.  It was almost like taking a dog to be put down..First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Image16
First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Image17
First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Image18
First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Image19
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 5:00 am

Ashes to ashes.
Dust to rust.
Rest In Pieces.
May person who hit your car be infested with the fleas of 1000 camels.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 am

Insert picture of new wagon here. First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Arrow-10
Back to top Go down
Funkwagon455

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Sorry to take so long to do this...  It took a while to do all of the trim repair/replacement on the new daily.  I gave it a bath yesterday and opted to snap some photos..

First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Image10
First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Image11
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Beautiful. Funny that will all the options out there, the Impala SS wheels still look better (to me) than just about anything else.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 10:25 pm

Also love the gas pump in the background. Collector?

Bill
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Also love the gas pump in the background. Collector?

Bill
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 10:17 am

Glad my arrow finally worked. Rolling Eyes Looking good.
Back to top Go down
Funkwagon455

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Thank y'all for the kind remarks. The gas pump is a 1927 Fry model 73. It took me eight months to restore with a focused attitude and a fair amount of cash. There are painted handprints inside of the skins of all of my immediate family with year of completion. I like Petroliana collectibles but my passion is cars. My wife had suggested that I needed to restore another for our other son to inherit, and my response was "screw that!" Strangely after giving the car a bath, I had a blowout today in the way to work. I gather I must have ran over something. Fortunately, there was no damage to the body or wheel! I swapped out the spare on the side of I20 and nursed it home and drove our truck to work. The tire was under warranty, so I just have to wait for it to show up and have it swapped out. This situation could have been ten times worse. I'm counting my blessings and pressing on. Every day is a gift,....especially if your driving a wagon!!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 9:31 am

Funkwagon455 wrote:
Thank y'all for the kind remarks.  The gas pump is a 1927 Fry model 73.  It took me eight months to restore with a focused attitude and a fair amount of cash.  There are painted handprints inside of the skins of all of my immediate family with year of completion.  I like Petroliana collectibles but my passion is cars.  My wife had suggested that I needed to restore another for our other son to inherit, and my response was "screw that!"  Strangely after giving the car a bath, I had a blowout today in the way to work.  I gather I must have ran over something.  Fortunately, there was no damage to the body or wheel!  I swapped out the spare on the side of I20 and nursed it home and drove our truck to work.  The tire was under warranty, so I just have to wait for it to show up and have it swapped out.  This situation could have been ten times worse.  I'm counting my blessings and pressing on.  Every day is a gift,....especially if your driving a wagon!!

Cool pump, and I've taken on projects that once done, were rewarding...but you never want to do again! Glad everything worked out with the tire as well. Something like that can really do damage, so happy you lucked-out. Take care!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
JeffY

JeffY

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am

That sucks about the OCC those are getting hard to find, beautiful RMW! and I love the gas pump
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First introduction, reluctant circumstances....   First introduction, reluctant circumstances.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First introduction, reluctant circumstances....
Page 1 of 1