GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate glass won't latch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nowhereman

nowhereman

Tailgate glass won't latch Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate glass won't latch   Tailgate glass won't latch Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 6:21 am

If I slam the glass down repeatedly I can eventually get it to partially catch, but usually the glass just bounces off the tailgate and won't "latch". Unlatching is not an issue.

The tailgate itself seems to be aligned correctly and opens/closes with no problems. The U-shaped striker on the glass is not worn. I've removed the carpeted cover on the tailgate and adjusted the latch assembly in the tailgate to seemingly every position possible, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I tried putting washers between the U-shaped striker and the glass to space it more towards the latch. This accomplished nothing except to strip my plastic handle threads.

I guess the latch is worn? Should I try a replacement latch? Weld more material on and grind/reshape the latch? Remove latch and grind out the mounting holes to gain more adjustment? I'm stuck. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
http://photography.personaimaging.com/cars/1995buick
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate glass won't latch   Tailgate glass won't latch Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 6:55 am

Try oiling the mechanism.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate glass won't latch   Tailgate glass won't latch Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 8:10 am

""This accomplished nothing except to strip my plastic handle threads.""

Unless the threads are totally wallowed, you might be able to screw in long setscrews, and then use nuts to secure the handle.

Lube would be a first step.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate glass won't latch   Tailgate glass won't latch Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 10:05 am

Great looking ride,Nowhereman.
Back to top Go down
nowhereman

nowhereman

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate glass won't latch   Tailgate glass won't latch Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Sorry, I failed to include that I also lubed the latch mechanism, which didn't seem to help either.
I was able to cut down a screw and get the handle secured tightly again. Not sure this will hold up if I have to take the handle loose many more times.
Thanks for the compliment, Andebe!
Back to top Go down
http://photography.personaimaging.com/cars/1995buick
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate glass won't latch   Tailgate glass won't latch Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 8:45 pm

The handle screws have at double trace. If you put them in the wrong trace in the handle, it will strip the handle. The only remedies are a new handle, or larger screws.

The latch parts may be worn to a point where the adjustments will not compensate.

Pushing the striker away from the glass may not make any difference, because the striker may not actually move closer to the body. The only way to make the striker in closer proximity to the latch is to move the latch up. As the latch wears, the catch will get slightly further away from the striker. Other than that, the small parts inside the latch may be worn as well. The striker may also hit the frame of the latch before it moves it far enough to trigger the latch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate glass won't latch   Tailgate glass won't latch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate glass won't latch
Page 1 of 1