GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sdowney717

Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Empty
PostSubject: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 4:17 pm

I have some wood grain issues where some of the Dinoc is chipped off. I have been thinking to remove all the wood grain, would you leave the top belt trimming ? The issue is those welded on pegs you know.
Or I could get some tan paint and fill in the missing areas. might not look too bad, what do you think?
I do not like the idea of removing all the top belt trim and having to wonder about the steel pegs welded onto the car.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 5:22 pm

"Lynol" found a perfect match for touching up the paneling. I believe it is a rustoleum paint called nutmeg. Can be bought in a small can which you would used a brush.

He's not on here too much, PM him.

Tom
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 8:28 pm

You'll have to ask Lynol. If I remember correctly, it is Rustoleum American Accents Nutmeg in a small jar. It was a near perfect match.

Tom
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 6:22 am

Quart is cheapest price !
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-240284-Painters-Touch-Nutmeg/dp/B006ZTHE1I

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-240290-Painters-Touch-Nutmeg/dp/B002TIKA0G
1/2 pint is cheaper than the 2oz jar
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-209643-American-Accents-2-Ounce/dp/B000QD3H7O

The trim belt also could use some paint, I would paint it using this color same as the wood grain. All the wood plastic coating has failed and  I have stripped off the trim.what was left of it.

I bought the qt as I needed some of this color to paint the upper dash on my boat.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 6:46 am

I may not have read your post correctly. The paint that I mentioned is an exact match for the paneling. It probably is the same with the trim.

Many guys paint the trim. One of my wagons I painted a solid light brown, the other I painted with a light brown and spotted it with a darker brown. Both look good. Some guys polish it, stripping off the decal. I believe it is polished aluminum or stainless steel. Looks good, but not for everybody.

Tom
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 6:57 am

Original question is about the wood side panels, but also the trim belting needs paint.
I was washing the car and hit the tail gate trim with a pressure washer and the paint was stripping right off the thin trim.

Years ago, people would paint cars 2 tone colors, if your wood grain plastic has failed why not paint a 2 tone color scheme on the car like back then? Could even be 2 similar shades of the same color, then keeping the trim belt would look more natural to the car.

I see lots of wagons with the trim belt removed and all the same color all over. So they ground off the mounting studs?

I was wondering, how do the plastic clips hold up to being reused?
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 7:35 am

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 3:51 pm

""I see lots of wagons with the trim belt removed and all the same color all over.""

They may have been factory Wood Grain Delete Buicks, or non-optioned Chevys. The trim mounts changed over the years, and there are a lot of pins/holes/slots (80+) that have to be dealt with if stripping an original wood-grain car of its trim.

The plastic clips are prone to easy breakage after 20+ years.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 3:59 pm

There have been some ideas floating around, some on this Forum, on how to replicate the vinyl woodgrain paneling. Has anyone looked into something like this for the raised trim pieces?

http://www.hydrodip.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all   Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting wood grain where missing pieces or strip it all
Page 1 of 1