GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
stationwagonguy

Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons Empty
PostSubject: Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons   Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 am

I'm a newbie here - My name is David and I LOVE big wagons.  I have a few and always looking for more, lol.  

OK, on to my questions.

I have studied many pictures online and looked at quite a few GM wagons on the road and I see many different colors of wood grain siding.  They range from a light oak to almost a walnut brown.  Since they do not make replacement vinyl to exactly match the wagons anymore it seems quite hard to keep these older wagons "original".  I have a few questions that maybe some of the experts here might be able to help me with.  

1.  Where can I find the original paint colors offered and woodgrain colors available with each color? Is there a place that might still offer that information?

2.  I can't tell if the original vinyl was matte or had a gloss.  Can anyone tell me?

3.  Does replacing the vinyl alter the value of the wagon for resale?

Here is my thought... Since you cannot exactly match the color - would putting a better color (since so many better options are available today than in the 80's) actually increase the value because the car would look more appealing?  I have seen several "custom wagons" with obviously different siding and they look very attractive.  Would they be worth more than one with a "ho hum" brown "almost match"?  

I hope to hear from you guys and gals!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons   Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 am

Wagons gaining in value? You're bark-ing up the wrong tree. Wood'nt you get more info from Google? Ok,ok...I'll stop. I was getting "board" anyway... What a Face Seriously,I would agree it couldnt hurt value buy having pristine wood,but keep it close to stock. Anything more would be a personal choice not everyone could appreciate. IMO,there are better looking choices than the factory style. Others outside the hobby,might not even notice the difference.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons   Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 10:27 am

Best replacement for the "wood" is peeling it all off and leaving it off Wink

I wouldn't worry too much about "value" because I doubt these old wagon will ever have much outside of the small groups that like them. You should replace it with whatever color you like best.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons   Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions and information wanted about wood grain siding on 80's GM wagons
Page 1 of 1