GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good code reader for engine?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
threetimes

Good code reader for engine? Empty
PostSubject: Good code reader for engine?   Good code reader for engine? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 4:05 pm

To help diagnose some issues, I am wanting to buy a good reader to get engine codes from computer. Any ideas on what to buy and not to buy in regards to this. Rather buy something that is good and will last.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Good code reader for engine?   Good code reader for engine? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Knowing which vehicle and what year would be helpful, as there was a mixture of OBD1 an OBD2  used during 91-96,

. 91-93 was OBD1 on traditional small block Chevy Engines.

When the LT1 came out in 94, then through 96, it got a bit complicated, as the software  and data streams controlling the ECM varied as the years progressed. So we need the year of your vehicle.

Last edited by lakeffect on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
threetimes

PostSubject: Re: Good code reader for engine?   Good code reader for engine? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Sorry, I have a 96 Roadmaster with LT-1
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Good code reader for engine?   Good code reader for engine? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Since I am in the 91-93 crowd, I'll let others more knowledgeable on the later years respond correctly.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Good code reader for engine?   Good code reader for engine? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 5:05 pm

96 is OBD2, so you have endless options. If you have an Android phone or tablet, simply pick up one of the $13 bluetooth ELM modules off Amazon and use the free Torque App. It does more than a cheap code reader.

I use this one:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good code reader for engine?   Good code reader for engine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good code reader for engine?
Page 1 of 1