GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Clearcoat Failure

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Clearcoat Failure Empty
PostSubject: Clearcoat Failure   Clearcoat Failure Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 8:09 pm

JUST noticed that I have the startings of clear coat failure on my passenger rear quarter. ( white air bubbles) Question is, can I just sand the offending clear and then re-clear the panel? Or do I have to sand and prime/color/clear the whole panel?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Clearcoat Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clearcoat Failure   Clearcoat Failure Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 pm

can't hurt to try. I can go take a pic of what happens when you let it go......clear is going on 4 out of 5 of my wagons.........
Back to top Go down
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

Clearcoat Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clearcoat Failure   Clearcoat Failure Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 7:32 am

That depends. Does it look okay wet? That'll tell you if it's a pit from the top or a bubble underneath.

I would try carefully wet sanding the area with 600 grit paper. Make sure you don't break any edges. If the problem you have is pits, then you should be able to re-clear it and have it look decent (the clear will fill the pits).

If you have bubbles underneath, you might be hosed. If you're very lucky, you'll break through the top of the bubble when you sand and clear will fill inside them. That is unlikely, though.

If you break through the clear and disturb the basecoat you are hosed. You'll get a dark spot that won't go away without re-applying the clearcoat. I just did that trying to touch up a chip on the hood of my DGGM '94. Looks like some dipshit burned the clear... because some dipshit sanded through the clear.

My guess is you'll end up having to repaint the quarter, but it doesn't hurt to experiment. Color match on that car is a pain - there is enough pearl stuff in the MAB to make your life miserable. I would suggest a big blend area. Are you far enough from any edges with the bubbles that you can blend color towards the edges of the panel before clearing? If not, you will likely need to get the adjacent panels involved. Fortunately for our wagons the only adjacent panel that really matters is the rear door. You'll never notice a slight color mis-match on the D pillar or tailgate.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Clearcoat Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clearcoat Failure   Clearcoat Failure Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Bubbles.

I popped one trying to see how bad it was. So, can I just sand the bad clear and re-clear?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clearcoat Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clearcoat Failure   Clearcoat Failure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clearcoat Failure
Page 1 of 1