GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...

Go down 
+6
94Woody
Yeahoo Whoyah
Fred Kiehl
81X11
Andebe
ramrod_mobile
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ramrod_mobile

ramrod_mobile

New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Empty
PostSubject: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Hello all! New to the forum!
I recently got in a wreck on I-45 near I-610 near downtown Houston. But...
Let me preface how I got into B-bodies:
When I was about 14 years old, I had a jeep that did not run, which got me into cars. I was also interested in all kinds of old cars and things that were made in the USA. In the search of a fast and cool older but later model domestic car, I ran across the Impala ss (naturally). I started reading about it and realized it was on the B platform from GM, which led me to the fact that it was pretty much a high end caprice (please don't get mad at me, at least I'm not on the ss forums! lol! ). I hadn't had my jeep running good by the time I was 17 and needed a car for highschool, so I went looking for a B-body. Well, I also needed a large car with a lot of trunk space for hauling parts and things (like having fun with the ladies bounce ), so I found a posting for a 295k mile caprice wagon. I drove 2 hours to go get it but the guy totally wigged out on me, I think it was stolen, so the search continued. (I ended up buying a 1999 Yukon instead, which I totalled during a rainstorm). At the end of highschool, my older brother needed a car, so we went to go look at a pretty low miles 92 TBI roadmaster sedan. It looked also, like it was stolen (the ignition switch was hanging under the dash, it had 4 different keys, and the title was in the wrong name). It was beat to hell on the inside and my brother didn't want it, but I did. It was listed for 1200 on craigslist and I stole it for 660. It ran extremely well but the interior was trash. The exterior was very straight with minimal rust for being a northern car for 6 years.
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 05271610
My family was moving from SC to TX so I had an ultimatum to keep the jeep or the sedan and I chose the jeep. I had that car for 2 weeks and in that time me my friends put 7 tanks of gas in it and 3 different tires on (we used it to wreck the high school parking lot after graduation with drifts and burnouts).New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 06091610
I sold it for 800 and drove the Jeep for about 2 years.
When I got to college last August right after hurricane Harvey, the jeep was showing signs of trouble, it was losing oil pressure and I needed a new car which is when the Big Lady boat "Big Bertha" came into my life. I purchased this car with help from my dad which kind of makes it a birthday gift from him to me.
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20171213
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20171214
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20171211
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20171210
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20171212
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20171215
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180112
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180110
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180111
This was a one owner car with zero rust from Louisiana, originally purchased in Arlington from a factory refurbish in Arlington after a 2 year lease from Illinois. It was owned by older man and woman who would be 89 and 90 (may god rest their souls). It's a factory towing package car with almost all the goodies. I still have the original window sticker. It wasn't well maintained but I think it was a sunday driver later on in life, It had 193k when I bought it.
The very first day I drove it more than 2 miles, I brought it to The Texas A & M Galveston campus, and then this happened:
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180114
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180113
Needless to say, I was very sad about it. My floormat had pinned the gas pedal coming out of a parking space. I cried a little that day, as this had been my 6 year dream car.
I took a few trips in it, the family loves it. It has been very useful in the short time we have had it. Here's a trip we took to Austin, TX New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180115

On my way home for Easter weekend, the Thursday before Good Friday, is when it happened.
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 725210
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 725710
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 725810
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 727010
I was devastated to say the least but no tears were shed this time, there was work to be done. These pictures are from the impound lot, I drove it (yup, drove, not towed) out of the lot and onto a Uhaul trailer. The impound lady was yelling at me that I couldn't work on it but I just had to reconnect a battery cable, $50 fell right off her face as I drove it out and bypassed her towing charge. The very next day I had it fully stripped and ready to reassemble. (2 days after the wreck  Very Happy )
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180410
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180412
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180411
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 9:22 am

Nice cliff hanger...Tune in next week to see the conclusion?
Back to top Go down
ramrod_mobile

ramrod_mobile

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Andebe wrote:
Nice cliff hanger...Tune in next week to see the conclusion?
Well, I need the panel and wheelhouse from sprocket! Just waiting till he gets back on. I hope it's soon!
Back to top Go down
ramrod_mobile

ramrod_mobile

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Update:
I found some frame damage the that I fixed. The body mount at the core support got ripped out
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180413
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180419
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180416
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180420
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180414
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180421
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180415
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180418
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180417
I also grabbed several parts new and at wrecking yards
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Img_2010
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180422
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180425
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180424
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180423
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180426
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 2:43 pm

GOOD FOR YOU for saving it! Will be following along here in Austin!

Oh, and if you need it, I "might" have a line on a good grill. Very Happy

-Mike
Back to top Go down
ramrod_mobile

ramrod_mobile

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 12:50 pm

81X11 wrote:
GOOD FOR YOU for saving it!    Will be following along here in Austin!

Oh, and if you need it, I "might" have a line on a good grill.   Very Happy

-Mike

Oh, my cars rarely die off completely. They just get Frankensteined back together cyclops . I got a hold of a MINT grille down here that I payed way too much for, but it was worth it. Thanks though!
Back to top Go down
ramrod_mobile

ramrod_mobile

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 pm

No one has asked yet, but I built that cold air intake in my garage with some sheet metal and tin snips. I've fooled quite a few people into thinking it was store bought! I was pretty proud of it, it seals against the hood perfectly.New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Img_2011
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Img_2012
It took a full 7 hours to fab and pulls air from behind the headlight and where the horns are mounted. I'm not sure if I added any power though.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 10:13 am

Nice work on the intake!
Back to top Go down
ramrod_mobile

ramrod_mobile

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 1:55 pm

81X11 wrote:
Nice work on the intake!
Thanks! I might make a build topic on it after iv'e sorted through this mess
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 7:30 am

I just had the whole left side of my OCC wiped out (https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t14035-got-hit-by-a-dump-truck), and it is getting every panel and light on that side replaced. After some "body work" I drove it to the repair shop, and then home again. It is going to the body shop today, to start the restoration process. I got $5500 from the insurance company to fix it.

Other than the body mount area, everything is bolt on, and that part is not a difficult fix. Even your antenna should still be good. Have John/Sprocket ship the fender and wheelhouse by Greyhound to save you some money. He only needs to wrap it in shrinkwrap, tape any sharp corners, and take it to the nearest Greyhound depot.

Sent you a PM.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Mon May 14, 2018 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 7:57 am

Check with a paintless dent removal guy about getting your rear quarter pushed out. They do amazing things.
Back to top Go down
ramrod_mobile

ramrod_mobile

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 12:49 am

Hey everyone, I made a lot of progress over the last 2 weeks. I should have an update by the end of the week! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 7:45 pm

My eyes arent so good,do you have a Travelocity Gnome on your Hockey puck? scratch
Back to top Go down
ramrod_mobile

ramrod_mobile

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Sorry about the late post guys, I've been very busy with the move to SC and the drive. I made it successfully. Here are some pictures to conclude this intro!
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180513
The day I had glass put in.
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... 20180512
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Htown_11
The last piece of the puzzle from Jason's (red280) parts car. We got some very fun pictures that day!
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Vzm_im13
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Vzm_im12
The car is done and roadtrip ready.
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Img_2016
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Vzm_im11
Packed and loaded on my way to SC!
New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Img_2015
Made it to SC to hoon around and hot rod with friends!
Back to top Go down
Yeahoo Whoyah

Yeahoo Whoyah

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Ramrod: Wondering about the passenger side windshield damage during the front end collision. Care to elaborate?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Yeahoo Whoyah wrote:
Ramrod:  Wondering about the passenger side windshield damage during the front end collision.  Care to elaborate?

Its pretty obvious that the air bag went off.......
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2018 9:30 pm

Passenger side airbag goes into the windshield when it deploys.
Back to top Go down
red280

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Awesome that you got her back together! Hope the trip to SC went well.

Having a parts car is fabulous. Big thanks to Dragonwagon for making the car available to me.
It's helped saved 2 other RMWs.
Back to top Go down
Dragonwagon

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 2:43 am

red280 wrote:
Awesome that you got her back together! Hope the trip to SC went well.

Having a parts car is fabulous. Big thanks to Dragonwagon for making the car available to me.
It's helped saved 2 other RMWs.

I was very heartbroken to have to let it go, but as you know, I tried very hard to keep it from going to the crusher. I'm glad I was able to connect with two people with needs for such vastly different parts of it.

In related news, something recently took its place in the driveway...and it's very appropriate for this forum...
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 am

You tease... What a Face
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 am

nice work
Back to top Go down
red280

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 10:19 pm

In related news, something recently took its place in the driveway...and it's very appropriate for this forum...

Dragonwagon - do tell...
Back to top Go down
Dragonwagon

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 am

red280 wrote:

Dragonwagon - do tell...

I started a new post to avoid threadjacking this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...   New car!  one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New car! one owner LDM Roadie wagon crashed! Totalled? I think not...
Page 1 of 1